Profile for Molly reads > Reviews

Serena
by Ron Rash
Price: 9.16

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall - not a great read., 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: Serena (Paperback)
What did I like about this book ?
- I got to know a little about the timber industry in U.S in 1800's

What did I not like about this book ?

1. Lack of character building . I'm sure there is a technically /reviewer correct term for this. What I mean is that I like a book to develop some depth in their characters so that I can understand their actions and behaviours in the story. It's not necessary for all of the characters but I prefer when I can understand at least one of the characters, or maybe it's that you feel the book has a central character or that you as the reader is given a good insight into them.
In this novel , I expected to have understood Serena; I expected the author to build up enough about her thoughts, her likes , dislikes , ambitions, feelings etc , whatever it takes to build a character that me as the reader understands or at least has enough insight into.
2. Actually , maybe my problem was that I expected the book and story to be told from the perspective of Serena but it wasn't. There were parts of the book where you really felt you were getting the perspective of George her husband and other parts where the story was told from the perspective of Rachel. But not once from Serena's perspective who was supposedly the main character.
3. Too much dialogue and not enough descriptive prose in parts , but I guess that is just a style preference.

Overall, this book will not have me rushing out to buy another book by this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2010 2:46 PM GMT

The Very Thought of You
The Very Thought of You
by Rosie Alison

2.0 out of 5 stars rapidly fading out of memory book, 20 July 2010
It's been a few weeks since I finished this book. As I sit down to write this review , I realise that I can't recall the book all that well. In fact, it's fading quite rapidly in my head.
Now what does that tell me... is it me or the book !
Reading some of the other reviews reminds me of the storyline.. and I did need reminding. I know I read the book quite fast, I believe this was due the lack of complexity in the story , it was easy to follow, nothing too thought provoking. My speed of reading was not due to it being a page turner or a nail biting story.. It's one of those books that fades rapidly in the memory.

April & Oliver
April & Oliver
by Tess Callahan

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast enjoyable read, 7 July 2010
This review is from: April & Oliver (Paperback)
This is one of those books you find hard to put down until you finish. It's the story of two childhood friends who meet up again at a family funeral. April's life has not gone as smoothly as Oliver's life. Oliver now has a fiance and is doing well in his career , April on the other hand is working as a bartender and has an abusive partner. There's a lot more thrown in there :) . Despite appearing tough on the surface , April is sensitive and kind and we see that in the relationship with her grandmother. A most endearing character - I ended up caring for her. I didn't think Oliver's character was as well developed.
Overall a great summer read. Why have more people not read and reviewed it ? So strange.

Testimony
Testimony
by Anita Shreve
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars I was hooked.., 30 April 2010
This review is from: Testimony (Paperback)
This was my first Anita Shreve novel, it won't be my last !. As others have said it really is such an emotional story , but its also so fast paced that you feel it's almost a mystery or a thriller... it's really very good.

Three Cups Of Tea
Three Cups Of Tea
by Greg Mortenson
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disagree with other reviewers..., 30 April 2010
This review is from: Three Cups Of Tea (Paperback)
I'm almost hesitant to write this as other reviewers have raved about this book. But I have to admit I found this book a tad tedious and I had difficulty finishing it.
I certainly didn't read it in the 3-4 days that other reviewers have done. I think the only reason I kept going was because I appreciated the humanitarian effort the author undertook and succeeded with - so I almost felt guiltily bound to finish it. It's not a riveting novel , there are no great characters in it but it is an account his wonderful work in building schools for children in an impoverished country.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2011 12:09 PM GMT

The Island
The Island
by Victoria Hislop
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars hooked from the beginning, 30 April 2010
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
I was hooked from the beginning, having never read anything about the leper colony before I found it very interesting and informing. I'm not the best at reading historical fiction , but I love to know the history of our world. It's so satisfying to enjoy a book - yes a family saga and a love story and feel you've learned something. Very good approach and works for me. I'm impressed also that the author went to live in Greece while researching for the novel, so she really got a feel for the place and it wasn't all just internet research. Credit where credit is due. Other reviewers mention that her book would never have been published if she didn't have the husband she has...that would have been a pity. Who is her husband anyway ? not that it will change my review & rating of the book at all !

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
by Jonathan Safran Foer
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Extremely good and not extremely exciting.., 30 April 2010
I've made two attempts to read this book, at the first attempt I gave up as I just wasn't enjoying it and Anita Shreve's Testimony was calling me.
Anyway I gave it another go recently and ready more than half of it, it does start quite witty and entertaining. Oskar, a nice year old boy who has lost his Dad in 9/11 narrates the story. He has some amusing thoughts and his perspective on the world around him did get a few laughs from me. But then the book trails off and becomes quite monotonous and boring, as we follow Oscar's search to find the owner of a key his Dad had hidden. Again, I stopped and haven't finished it. I don't think I will give it a third attempt.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2012 2:07 AM GMT

Lethal Legacy (Alexandra Cooper)
Lethal Legacy (Alexandra Cooper)
by Linda Fairstein
Price: 5.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully boring read, 26 Feb 2010
This is the first and last book in this series that I will read.
Agree with other reviewer who said that they finished it because they had paid for the book - but that's really the only reason. I couldn't wait to get finished with it. Alex Cooper is a District Attorney, she investigates a murder of a map/book conservator. The whole investigation is so drawn out and boring. There is a host of characters who could potentially be the perpetrator - all linked to the library. But no character grabs your attention as being real or interesting. Really drab dull stuff.

Muckeen the Pig (Pandas)
Muckeen the Pig (Pandas)
by Fergus Lyons
Price: 4.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Early reader for Age 5-6, 29 Jan 2010
This is the first book in the O'Brien Panda series. It is not the most intriguing story in the series. This is the story of Muckeen the pig who lives with Mr Farmer. One day he is taken to the market....
My 5 1/2 year old can read this with support. There are a few sentence on each page. Illustrations are in plain drawing style, not sure if it is intentional to leave for colouring - but certainly well suited to it.
If you've read the Panda series before you know that the book starts with the challenge to find the little panda hidden in one of the pages... keeps little people focussed and motivated to keep reading.
Better O'Brien Panda book is Book #3 Ribbit RibbitRibbit, Ribbit! (Pandas)

Karrimor Women's Whirlwind L weathertite  Grey/Misti K182GMT145 4 UK
Karrimor Women's Whirlwind L weathertite Grey/Misti K182GMT145 4 UK
Price: 27.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect from minute you put them on!, 16 Jan 2010
I bought these for long mucky walks in the park and on the beach etc; they were perfect from the minute I put them on, instant comfort, not too hard and not too soft. Perfect fit. Seem very waterproof and we've had some good weather to test them in recently. They don't look too bad either and usually I think hiking/comfort walking boots look a bit clunky - these don't, they actually look very good.
The colour is fine - not too black - slightly grey/blue, slightly dark but not too dark. Overall, I'm delighted with them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5