Profile for Dynoman > Reviews

Dynoman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Breville Glass Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Black
Breville Glass Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Rubbish, Classic Example of Looks over Functionality, 15 Mar. 2015
My wife just bought one of these and its terrible. It boils water very nicely and even looks quite nice but the overall design and ergonomics are terrible.

The main problem is caused by a combination of the tiny spout and the shape of the kettle (see how it tapers in at the top?). This means that when you pour the water out, unless you pour it slowly and carefully, your hand is OVER the steam meaning you can get scalded. This has happened to me 3 times in the 3 weeks since we have had the kettle. I won't pretend I have had any major injuries but it is unpleasant at best and painful at worst, either way its failing a very basic requirement of a kettle. Even if you do tip the kettle right up like this the water doesn't come out particularly well anyway.

As other reviewers have said, the lid is very poor, it feels cheap and I will be amazed if it doesn't break. The opening is too small at the top and combined with the poor quality lid it is awkward to fill. The switch is also very light and doesn't feel like it will withstand much wear and tear. If you don't use a water filter, you will see build up so if this is an issue for you (it wasn't for me) consider this as well.

Escape From Dead City: A Zombie Novel
Escape From Dead City: A Zombie Novel

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Writing, 28 April 2014
General storyline good but executed badly. Situations engineered by people (mainly a colonel who would have been carefully selected for his mission) behaving stupidly and not learning from experience. Author seems to get excited towards the end where writing, grammar and spelling all decline. Ending was very sloppy and generally not believable.

The Assassin [1993] [DVD]
The Assassin [1993] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bridget Fonda
Offered by westworld-

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there such a thing as a good hollywood remake?, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Assassin [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
Well...yes, but they are few and far between and this isn't one of them.

The original (Nikita) is a classic, my version is not great quality and the dubbing is awful but I have watched it countless times because its so good. I bought this in the hopes that it would be a good english speaking version and was seriously disappointed.

After the initial viewing I waited a couple of months before watching it again so that I wouldnt let my initial disappointment colour my opinion but it really is just a bad hollywood ripoff. I will never watch this version again because its just another mediocre hollywood action film (in fact I donated my copy to a charity shop).

Compare Nikita to Leon and you will see how this kind of film can be made well both with and without Hollywood, then compare both to this and you will see what I mean.

On the good side it has a decent cast, none of whom are terrible in this but for me the only one who really shines is Harvey Keitel.

The Spell of the Black Dagger (Ethshar series Book 6)
The Spell of the Black Dagger (Ethshar series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ethshar Story, 8 May 2013
All the Ethshar stories I have read are very good and they stand up on their own but personally I think Misenchanted Sword and With a Single Spell should be read first because they set the scene a bit. However if you want to just read this one I don't think it will be the end of the world not to have read them.

Blue Plague The Fall
Blue Plague The Fall

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 8 May 2013
Some of the action is ok if you can wade past the endless talk about guns and survivalism but what is really disturbing is that the main heros are being presented as normal, desirable members of society. This couldnt be further from the truth, the generally decent morals to which they supposedly adhere is just an insidious camouflage for the fact that this family is a ticking timebomb of heavily armed vigilante gun nuts. I would be rather suprised if the author is not a member of the NRA.

* SPOILER *

If you disagree then perhaps you should reread the ending where they repeatedly torture and humiliate someone who doesnt live up to their own moral standards. Its easy to spot someone such as their victim being a scumbag so he is really a lot less dangerous than the heros who at first glance are "good people". An obvious scumbag can be avoided or brought to justice for any crimes, "good people" blend in until you disagree with them and they are always very credible and well connected if you attempt to use legal means to prosecute their crimes.

Flotilla of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga Book 2)
Flotilla of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 3 May 2013
If you liked the first you will probably like this one but in my opinion it goes downhill from here

Deluge of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga #3)
Deluge of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga #3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nail in the Coffin, 3 May 2013
Finally gave up caring whether they live or die, even the "surprise twist" wasn't really that surprising, most people will see it coming a mile away.

Voyage of the Dead - Book One Sovereign Spirit Saga
Voyage of the Dead - Book One Sovereign Spirit Saga

3.0 out of 5 stars Best storyline is a sideplot, 3 May 2013
I must applaud the author for trying a new tack with this series, I have never seen a zombie story given from the perspective a multi millionaire mega yacht owner before so its certainly new to me. I read a review that likened it to Star Trek and I can certainly see what they meant, a large ship travelling around trying to do good deeds etc.

Unfortunately, its difficult to come up with a plot that puts the ship or the main players in any real danger without situations being a bit contrived. The worst example being towards the end of the third book where it seems to me that the author himself felt the same way and desperately tried to come up with a situation that would make you worry a bit more about the main players welfare.

On the good side there is a sideplot involving a group trapped in a refinery that is much more exciting but that seems to have petered out as well by the end of the third book.

Having read the first 3 in this series I won't be reading any more.

Survival Instinct: A Zombie Novel
Survival Instinct: A Zombie Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheres Rambo?, 3 May 2013
A lot of zombie stories are dominated by heavily armed and highly trained Rambo types, once you have read one, you've read them all and the first one isnt that great.

There ARE people in this story with guns and some are either survivalist or very highly trained but they dont suddenly turn into unstoppable killing machines.

The strength of this story (and most good ones really) is that it has people from several walks of life using whatever they can find as weapons and running and/or hiding as much as possible. This makes for a much more exciting and interesting read, one of the best zombie stories I have read.

Out of This World (Worlds of Shadow #1)
Out of This World (Worlds of Shadow #1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 May 2013
Good concept but not much else is good. On the surface a lot happens but none of it is particularly exciting and the behaviour of the Earth humans is generally just not that believable. I can suspend disbelief about alternate realities etc. but trying to get me to believe the parents of the 6 year old girl (apparently socially aware reasonably intelligent middle class Americans) would be so apathetic about the welfare of their child (and each other) without some explanation just isnt going to wash.

Once you have set up a scenario, no matter how fantastic it is, the things within the scenario still have to make sense within the rules of the scenario.

There were a number of other problems but having suffered through the book once, hoping it would get better, I cant bring myself to go back and list them all.

Stick to Ethshar, those books are FAR superior to this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3