Profile for simon > Reviews

Astrology of Midlife and Aging
Astrology of Midlife and Aging
by Erin Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars The passing of the years, 16 Jan. 2014
I found this book very helpful in understanding the course of my life and the astrological "causes" of various events. It is a bit thin on the years after 70 but I expect this is because the author has yet to reach this age. Nonetheless, it is a very useful and well written book, which I can recommend to anyone wanting to understand the various events that have occurred in their life.

Mapping the Roads
Mapping the Roads
by Mike Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel of the centuries, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mapping the Roads (Hardcover)
This book was a gif which is being much enjoyed by the recipeint .It is ideal for anyone with an interest in travel over the ages.

Nothing: From absolute zero to cosmic oblivion - amazing insights into nothingness (New Scientist)
by New Scientist

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth rereading, 16 Jan. 2014
I selected this book because I had come to the conclusion that all comes from "The great nothingness" and I am interested in other views on this. The subject is extremely difficult to define and is probably not possible in terms of our understanding.I can recommend it to all seeking to define what we are ,where we are from and the nature of the infinite and infinity,(which are not the same concept)

Renoir, My Father (NYRB Classics)
Renoir, My Father (NYRB Classics)
by Jean Renoir

5.0 out of 5 stars Auguste Renoir., 25 Feb. 2013
I had had this book in hard back in the1960's and had given it away in1980.Renoir has always been someone to whom I feel close and it was very good to be reunited with Jean Renoir's
'engaging book about his father and family and life in late 19th century and early 20th century France.He gives much information on Renoir's approach and techniques. Really a most enjoyable book about one of the great artists of that era.

The If Man: Dr Leander Starr Jameson, the Inspiration for Kipling's Masterpiece
The If Man: Dr Leander Starr Jameson, the Inspiration for Kipling's Masterpiece
by Chris Ash

4.0 out of 5 stars Starr Jameson, 25 Feb. 2013
I found this book reasonably well written about parts of the life of a giant in Southern African history.I realise that the underlying subject was Rudyard Kipling's poem "If", But I do think a bit more information about the life of Starr Jameson would have been appropriate.

The Gods of Change: Pain, Crisis and the Transits of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto
The Gods of Change: Pain, Crisis and the Transits of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto
by H. Sasportas

4.0 out of 5 stars much information, 25 Feb. 2013
I found this book has a considerable amount of information on the effects of the three outer planets which is not available in many other books, I have found it extremely interesting and will be using it for reference and understanding over an extended period.