Profile for J Furlong > Reviews

Content by J Furlong

J Furlong (UK and India)

Page: 1 | 2
Knot Know-How: How to Tie the Right knot for every job: A New Approach to Mastering Knots and Splices (Wiley Nautical)
by Steve Judkins
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Quick Reference Knot Book, 3 Sep 2013
This is my second copy of this book as my first got water-logged on our boat. I did quite a bit of research on knot books and this one was far and away the best I came across. It begins with a Top Ten knots everyone should know, and their choice of the top ten knots are well considered. Then it covers other knots you're going to find useful. Despite being a liveaboard for some years now I still refer to this book. Definitely recommended.

4 Channel PT-04 Wireless Radio Flash Trigger Control with Transmitter
4 Channel PT-04 Wireless Radio Flash Trigger Control with Transmitter
Offered by UK Highland Photography
Price: 15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny and exceptional customer service, 7 Nov 2012
At this price I couldn't lose so I decided to go for these. Not being familiar with wireless triggers it was a bit of a gamble but I needn't have worried as these work perfectly. They're a little bit 'plasticy', quite cheaply built but I do know other reviewers who've said they've never had a problem with them breaking.

I'm fairly new to off-camera flash photography. I now have an OM-D (I downsized from a 5Dii) and the FL 600R Olympus flash unit. I found the built-in wireless set-up wasn't satisfactory so although these don't offer TTL, they're ten times better with a far better range that doesn't require line-of-sight to work.

I should mention that the vendor of this product, UK Highland Photography, bent over backwards to get me this set within a day of ordering. I've bought off them before and would happily do so again. They clearly have someone knowledgeable researching the gear they sell, and another making sure transaction and delivery is effortless.

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm 1:2.0 Lens
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm 1:2.0 Lens
Price: 556.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny but c'mon, give us a hood!, 24 Oct 2012
Boy I love this lens! I had bought the 9-18mm but tried it one morning and wasn't that impressed with the edge-to-edge sharpness, so I returned it and got this instead. I took it to Jordan for a week and in the end it became my most-used lens.

I've still not worked out the sweet spot for the 12mm but most the time I'd set my aperture to f/10 and just got on with things. I could have got away with a lower aperture, which is probably where the sweet spot it, but looking back through my pictures of Jordan I don't have any problems with this setting.

I'm not sure the pull-back manual focus ring is essential on this lens. I'd much prefer to see this feature on the normal primes, to be used for zone focusing.

And the cost is expensive. It's worth it over the 9-18mm but I'd like a hood to be included at this price. Why Olympus don't include hoods for their m43 lenses is questionable, and invariably most people like myself opt for a Chinese copy at a third of the price, which is what I've done. This is why I've given this a 4/5, to teach Olympus a lesson that they can't take the Michael when we're splashing out so much for this lens.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 12:29 AM GMT

Proporta Reversible Drawstring Bag Compatible with iPhones, iPods, Blackberry, Samsung, MP3 player, digital cameras and PDAs includes a free cable tidy

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of money for a simple bag, 24 Oct 2012
Does what it says on the tin but this is a lot of money for what is essentially one piece of material and a bit of string. In fact I returned mine as it was too small and ended up making my own instead!

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Black (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 12-50mm Lens) 3.0 inch OLED
Price: 749.00

5.0 out of 5 stars From full frame Canon 5Dii to micro four thirds - Very Happy!, 5 Oct 2012
There are already plenty of reviews for this product that I am in 100% agreement with, so I don't wish to waste your time by making you read yet another positive review of the OM-D: you already know how good it is!

What might help is to tell you what situation I was in before I bought the camera. As a travel photographer who gets his work published in magazines, the decision was a hard one but I have absolutely no regrets halving the sensor size by moving from full-frame Canon 5Dii to micro four thirds. I recently wrote an essay on my decision making process about downsizing my camera gear, so here is the link to my essay (don't include the spaces). I hope you find it and all the comments afterwards useful:

jamiefurlongphotography . com/ why-im-selling-my-full-frame-canon/
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 12:06 AM BST

46mm Plastic Lens Cap for Canon Camera DSLR 46
46mm Plastic Lens Cap for Canon Camera DSLR 46

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Olympus 35RC rangefinder, 5 Oct 2012
Bought this for my Olympus 35RC rangefinder, which is a 46mm filter thread, and it fits perfectly. A little twist onto the lens and it feels like a decent fit that won't pop off. With the item being as cheap as it is, what's not to like about it?

PowerPlanet BLN-1 / BCN-1 Power Pack - 2 x PowerPlanet BLN-1 Olympus High Capacity Compatible Digital Camera Battery and BCN-1 Battery Charger for Olympus OM-D E-M5

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't hold charge, slow delivery and forced to buy charger, 4 Oct 2012
[NEW EDIT]

This is a revision of my revision of my original review. I've had these for almost a year now and they are complete rubbish. Below is my original review but before you read that you should know that these batteries no longer hold their charge. Some of them (I have four) last for about five minutes so I can only assume they are not charging correctly. Very disappointed, so I'm marking this down from 2/5 to 1/5. Might just as well stick with the more expensive OEM battery.

[PREVIOUS REVIEW]

I give this product two out of five (now changed) because:

1. They're rather more expensive than other copies
2. You HAVE to buy the charger. Fair enough for your first purchase but I wanted to buy a further two batteries and when I contacted them to see if I could buy two batteries without the charger, I received a very garbled reply that didn't really make sense, but boiled down to the fact you can't buy them without the charger.
3. Their delivery time is pathetic. My second order, which includes the charger I don't need, has an estimated delivery time of Thursday 4 Oct 2012 - Tuesday 23 Oct 2012! I ordered this second lot for my trip to Jordan and they have still not turned up, even though they said they had them in stock. It's been a week now. That is really poor for an Amazon-affiliated supplier.
4. You get half the performance but still have to charge them for the same amount of time.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with Power Planet, especially as I've had good experience of them in the past. OK, if you bought a set of two so they equal what you get out of the OEM, you still only pay half, but then you have to carry around two batteries, separate chargers and charge them up as well. If all copies are like this I'm seriously thinking about just treating myself to more OEMs.

Domke 700-00S F-10 JD Medium Shoulder - Sand
Domke 700-00S F-10 JD Medium Shoulder - Sand
Price: 86.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Accommodates entire CSC set-up and is built like a tank, 4 Oct 2012
It's a lot of money for something this small but I need a bag that's gonna get battered. I live on a boat and am a travel photographer, my kit gets chucked around and I need something to house all my gear. I bought this not necessarily to use as a day bag, but to keep everything in one place. Stored in this case I have:

- Olympus OM-D
- M.Zuiko 45mm
- Panasonic 14mm pancake
- Panasonic 20mm pancake
- Panasonic 100-300
- M.Zuiko 12mm
- Flash unit
- spare batteries and chargers (two, because I have both the OEM and copy batteries)
- instruction manual
- large silica gel bags

That is a LOT of kit to pack into this bag but it's just about manageable. I did buy the 'small' version of this model but it was just a little too tight.

Obviously I won't walk around doing street photography with all that gear on me (I've bought a Troop shoulder bag for that - see my other reviews) but at least I know I can fit an entire CSC system in it for when I hop on the train or plane.

What I like about the bag is the addition of a grab handle. From what I could see it was the only Domke this small with both a grab handle and a shoulder strap (aside from the 'small' version of this model). I need this because I can see myself flying off somewhere at the last minute, with all my gear in one place, and needing to grab it by the handle as I walk out the door. Also I don't want to just carry my gear on my shoulder; when you're marching up a mountain in the tropics you'll appreciate this flexibility.

Apparently the material is water-resistant and I can tell this is really well made. My only experience of camera bags is Lowepro and I'd put Domke above Lowepro in terms of materials used, ruggedness and finish.

I did have an issue with some stitching that had come away on the flap and had it replaced within 24 hours thanks to Amazon's no-quibble returns policy. I've checked the stitching again on the replacement and there's nothing wrong with it, so I can only assume this was a one-off problem. This happens from time to time and I don't see it as a reflection of the quality since the attention to detail on this bag is excellent. For example, the inside of the shoulder strap has stitched rubber to give extra grip so it doesn't slip off your shoulder whilst walking. Ingenious! Not only is there a grab handle on the outside of the bag, there's another grab handle that clips to the same loops that hold the shoulder strap, so you're not short of carrying options. There's a tag to add your contact details too, which is a nice touch.

I will update this review should I have anything to add to it based upon continued usage but initial impressions are very good. I give this a four instead of a five because it is pretty expensive.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for discrete street photography plus Kindle, 4 Oct 2012
I'd already purchased a Troop bag but on the same day I was given my girlfriend's old Kindle, the one with the keypad, and it didn't quite fit. But what I really wanted my bag for was street photography.

I own an Olympus OM-D and a number of prime lenses. I wanted a bag that I could throw my camera and two lenses in, along with the Kindle for train journies, plus phone, money etc. This bag is perfect for that with space to spare for a few extras.

Although this is bigger than my previous Troop bag, this is still small, and that's the real benefit. This is a perfect man-bag because it's discrete, not girly and pretty urban. It has an extra zip underneath the bag to allow it to open out, so it'll accommodate the camera with a lens attached without it feeling too tight.

I spent a lot of time researching small but roomy shoulder bags for discrete street photography and if that's what you're after and want some extra room for other stuff, go for this bag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 4:04 PM GMT

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Lens - Black
Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Lens - Black
Price: 479.00

3.0 out of 5 stars CA at the edges and not the sharpest in the centre either, 3 Oct 2012
I could never work out if I was a 'pixel peeper' until I purchased this lens. The research I'd done indicated that it was fine if you weren't bothered by a little bit of CA (chromatic aberration) at the edges and that, as a compact wide-angle zoom, this did the job. That's what I'd read. Unfortunately it turns out I must be a pixel peeper because I took this out this morning for a few shots and wasn't that impressed with it.

I used to own a Canon 5Dii, a hard act to follow. Before that, however, I had a Canon 20D then a 30D and I always carried my Sigma 10-20. That lens was a real joy to use, and the IQ (image quality) was stunning for a non-Canon, non-L lens. I guess I was looking for something along those lines but micro four thirds is notorious for its lack of decent wide angles.

I've not tried the Panasonic equivalent wide angle, I've heard it's better but it's much more expensive, so I've sent my 9-18 back and opted for the Zuiko 12mm prime instead. I rarely shot at the 18mm end of the range that the 9-18 would offer anyway (everything is so distorted that wide), and I hear the 12mm is sharp across the entire range. Certainly when I compared the results of the 9-18 to the Panasonic 20mm, they were significant.

The one thing going for this lens is its size. Retracted (and you have to extend it to take a picture), it is tiny, so you'll barely notice it in your camera case. Aside from my 100-300 Panasonic, however, it's primes all the way for me from now on.

Disappointed.

[I shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M5]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2012 10:58 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2