Profile for KW > Reviews

Content by KW

KW

Lenovo G500 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Bluetooth, Camera, DVDRW, Windows 8.1 Home Premium)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine except that when I received it, 30 May 2015
Bought 2nd hand from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Works fine except that when I received it, the battery would would not last more than approx 20 mins (despite showing as being fully charged to start with). I recalibrated thet battery using a utility within C:\Program Files\Lenovo (or some such folder). This took approx 10 hours. The battery then charged properly, though I needed to repeat it as the the final 30% was only lasting a few minutes. It's OK now.

The DVD drive is a bit flimsy and it has Windows 8 installed (horrible), but otherwise, it's an OK laptop.

Incidentally, as I really don't like Windows 8, I partitioned the drive and installed Linux. I can still boot in Windows, though never need to.

Message to Bill Gates: Bring back Windows XP.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2015 12:30 PM BST

Q Acoustics 2010i Bookshelf Speaker Pair Graphite
Q Acoustics 2010i Bookshelf Speaker Pair Graphite

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - needs a woofer, 14 Sept. 2013
My wife had been objecting to my large old speakers taking up space in the living room so I decided that I would buy some compact bookshelf ones. What HiFi gave the Q Acoustic 2010i a 5 out of 5. This and the fact that they were tiny convinced me to buy these via Amazon.

The 2010i can produce reasonable bass sound, but the baritone voice is much weaker than with the old speakers (Rotel RL150X with 8" woofer - probably about 35 yrs old). In general, there is a lack of richness in the lower mid frequencies. Maybe it's a crossover issue? I'm pretty certain that they are positoned OK. In my opinion, they don't rate 5/5, at least not without a separate woofer. So the Rotels are back temporarily, though to avoid divorce, I'll need to buy a separate subwoofer.

KW
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2015 11:27 PM BST

Tubular Bells [2009 Remaster]
Tubular Bells [2009 Remaster]

2.0 out of 5 stars Tubular Balls, 15 July 2011
I bought this 2009 remastered CD version and was disappointed. This isn't the Tubular Bells that I remember from my youth... it seems to have a lot of unnecessary embellishments. I should have bought the original version. A thumbs down!