Profile for Delores > Reviews

Content by Delores

Delores "muses2" (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Element of Freedom
The Element of Freedom
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Alicia, 17 April 2015
This review is from: The Element of Freedom (Audio CD)
As expected from Alicia Keys, the quality and musicianship is wonderful.

Dorothy Dandridge: a Biography
Dorothy Dandridge: a Biography
by Donald Bogle

5.0 out of 5 stars Dorothy D, 10 Aug. 2014
Although I bought this book in 2004, it has taken me until now to read it through to the end. I just found her life so sad and tragic that I could not read beyond a certain point. I am so glad however that I picked it up again, because, Donald Bogle provides a well researched biography who spoke to people who loved, miss and respected her and brings to life a vulnerable, talented, misunderstood person who, Hollywood in a sense destroyed due to the racist ideology of the day. If anyone deserves a posthumous Oscar it has to be her, the one she missed out to in Carmen Jones for Best Actress and the others that followed. Where she could have gone and what she could have achieved can only be wondered at.
If you are interested in the firsts of this world, pick it up, read and admire the talent that was.

David Copperfield (Unabridged) (Naxos Complete Classics)
David Copperfield (Unabridged) (Naxos Complete Classics)
by Charles Dickens
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 17 May 2014
I bought this for my partner who is loves it and has several other bought from Amazon,
You can't go wrong with the man, storytelling par excellence.

Good Hair [DVD]
Good Hair [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Rock

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a flop, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Good Hair [DVD] (DVD)
I thought that this would be more entertaining than what it was. I find Chris Rock quite funny normally, but not this time. He seemed to lose interest in his own subject area half way through and was just going through the motions in asking certain people, namely hairdressers/barbers about what hair certain clients like. We know about the straightening of afro hair which has been going on since the year dot and we know how much people will pay for it (£1000's) to have the silkiness, flowing, shake your head and it move hair, but honestly his talents would have been better utilized putting on a show and sticking to what he knows, making us laugh. He seemed totally bemused and out of his comfort zone most of the time and I wonder, apart from him having a daughter, why he chose to highlight something that is not going to change no matter how many photos you see of afros and 'naturals'.

Trois Chansons De Bilitis
Trois Chansons De Bilitis
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy classic, 20 Jan. 2014
I bought this for my partner as a Christmas Present as it is a piece of music that he loves. I cannot comment beyond that.

I Started A Joke
I Started A Joke

5.0 out of 5 stars Richie, song lovely, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: I Started A Joke (MP3 Download)
I did not know that Richie Havens has recorded this song and when I heard, had to have. His voice is just so mellow and gives justice to a lovely Bee Gee song. Recommended.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Freedom and loved it from the beginning to the end. I had never read Franzen before and did not know what to expect. I picked the book up in a charity shop and the opening paragraph just sucked me in. The characters were very well constructed and believable, though both Patty and Richard grated and were the least likeable characters for me. I enjoyed the bigger picture though: The picture perfect family with the perfect kids, the wonderful home and the life fantastic. The American Dream as it were. Franzen however expertly showed the flaws, the betrayals, the undercurrent of tension, the disappointments and finally the disintegration of family life. It was a lovely journey and the ending just wonderful.

Brooklyn
Brooklyn
by Colm Tóibín

2.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Brooklyn (Paperback)
I had been looking forward to reading this book for some time as I had read good reviews about it when it first came out. I must say however that I was disappointed. It is just a nice story, not much happens and although it nicely shows the cultural transition for Eilas who is from a small Irish town leaving for America, it nevertheless becomes boring. Whilst I had some sympathy for Eilas when she travelled from her home town, leaving her family behind and having to negotiate the cultural differences, I quickly lost sympathy at the end because of her duplicity. I can't quite understand why there was such a hullabaloo about this story and only wonder at the competition when it won the prize it did. No at all impressed. In fact I disliked the character well before the end of the story and little cared what happened to her.

Crush [DVD] [2002]
Crush [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Andie MacDowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Crush, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Crush [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Just watched this film as I bought it on video at a local charity shop three weeks ago for 50p. Not being able to sleep, 6.30 in the morning I decided to watch it and glad I did. It made me laugh, cry laugh cry and laugh again. There is tragedy (definitely not expected!) and comedic moments made more funny because of the three very good actresses playing the characters. The cover says a fab 'chick flick' and for once I could not agree more. Loved it so much I am now going to buy it on DVD,(used of course). Watch and loan it to your friends. I guarantee not a dry eye in the house.

First Take
First Take

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberta Flack, simply the Best, 2 May 2011
This review is from: First Take (Audio CD)
I have this on vinyl from the 70's and now as then, it is still the most sublime music and singing, ever.
I think that Roberta Flack is overlooked today. The song, Killing Me Softly is attributed to the Fugees when it was Roberta's song and the best version obviously. Just love her!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3