Profile for Mark Conroy > Reviews

Content by Mark Conroy

Mark Conroy (Ireland)

On Fire: The Battle of Genoa and the Anti-capitalist Movement (Politics in the Street)
by Antonio Negri
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Author, 13 July 2006
I have just received my copy of On Fire, by "Antoni Negri". I put Antoni Negri in inverted commas because after opening the book I see that the book is not written by him at all. There is only one, very short article by him in it (written with his collaborator Michael Hardt). The article is only one and a half pages long (three half pages with three half page photographs) - hardly enough to merit the book as being written by Antoni Negri.

This is certianly not the book I thought that I was purchasing.

Do the Right Things! A Practical Guide to Ethical Living
Do the Right Things! A Practical Guide to Ethical Living
by Pushpinder Khaneka

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirrels love little acorns!, 21 Aug 2005
This is a seriously important book. Yes, there are cute squirrels in it, all picking up little acorns to make great things grow. Whether you are active or dormant on the politco-economic front or not, Pushpinder's Do The Right Things makes doing the right things so much easier.
Also as a teacher of CSPE (Civic Social and Political Eduction) in Ireland it is certainly a brilliant book to get children agitated, educated, and politicised.
Do the right thing, buy the book.

Bush in Babylon: The Recolonisation of Iraq
Bush in Babylon: The Recolonisation of Iraq
by Tariq Ali
Price: 7.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't a review focus on the book?, 21 Aug 2005
I haven't read this book yet, it's on my wish list, but if it is anything like Ali's Clash of Fundamentalisms or the other numerous articles and interviews I have read with him, I am sure it will certainly be an enjoyable and enlightening read.
I find it interesting that of the four reviews above only one bothers to focus on Ali's book (and this is from a person who seems to agree with him, so doesn't need to present her political views - an interesting review though), the other three reviewers lambast it by presenting us with their own views. This cannot be helpful for people who are thinking of buying the book. Amazon tells us that when reviewing to: "Please focus your comments on the item's content and features." So please do so.
Was this review helpful? Probably not, but hopefully the rest will be.