Profile for JEgan > Reviews

Content by JEgan

JEgan

Introduction to Christianity (Communio Books)
Introduction to Christianity (Communio Books)
by Joseph Ratzinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 12 Oct. 2013
This is the fourth book that I have so far read by Pope Emeritas Benedicte. I recently read the 3 Jesus of Nazareth books that he wrote while Pope. He's my favourite author. His insights are almost breathtaking. His style is rooted in the traditional beliefs of the Catholic Church which he explains and defends effortlessly. The book was written in the late 1960s when Benedicte was a Cardinal. It's hard to give an impression of the book in a few words. I am not formally educated in philosophy or theology. As such this book is in places a bit of a challenge. However, I found in nearly all sections of the book that I was able to understand his general point. It probably helped that I had read some of his other books and I was already acquainted with his style and way of thinking. This is a much denser book than the 3 books on Jesus which I found easier to read (and incidently I would also highly recommend). That being said, I was almost overwhelmed by his insights on the articles contained Apostles Creed which he has used as the basic structure of Christian belief. I would recommend this book to anybody interested in developing their knowledge of Christianity although it might be a challenge for somebody that doesn't already have some knowledge of Christian belief and scripture. Even though this book requires a bit of effort it's well worth it. My faith has certainly deepened for reading it.