Profile for Jack Renouf > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wetterladen Miami 30.3033.01 Radio-Controlled Pool Thermometer Black
Wetterladen Miami 30.3033.01 Radio-Controlled Pool Thermometer Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money!, 25 Mar. 2015
More fool me but this is the second version of this product I have tried. It worked for a couple of months though this was intermittent even when there was no more than 3 metres between the floating thermometer and the base station. Eventually, just like its predecessor, the thermometer display fogged up and has now been consigned to my trunk labelled 'silly orders' and will be despatched for recycling soon. In a triumph of hope over experience I am now ordering a different make with a transmitting station between the thermometer and the base station. This one appears to be made in Germany and not China like the others. Wish me luck!

The Night I Danced with Rommel: Unbroken Bonds - Hilde's Story
The Night I Danced with Rommel: Unbroken Bonds - Hilde's Story

5.0 out of 5 stars How could it have happened?, 22 Sept. 2014
I've asked myself that question so many times. What corrosive magic did Hitler conjure to take such complete control of a people and a country? Through Elisabeth Marrion's diligent research I now have a greater understanding.

But this isn't a dry treatise on the issue. It's a vibrant, emotional and immersive piece of history seen through the eyes of the fictional Hilde.

I've tried to deal with some of these issues, especially from the Jewish perspective, in my own writing but I wasn't there and couldn't touch the moment. Neither was Elisabeth but her characterisations and sense of place and time are so confidently portrayed the reader will not question for one moment that she wasn't.

If you too are puzzled by how apparently easily Germany was seduced then bullied into the evil embrace of the Nazis then this is a must read.

Highly recommended

Story Tellers: In Pursuit of Happiness
Story Tellers: In Pursuit of Happiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Endearing, 2 Sept. 2014
This is a fascinating and endearing piece of writing from an accomplished author who demonstrates an amazing facility with both language and conjured imagery. It works exceedingly well in e-book or paper format though I believe it would be most effective read aloud as I am convinced it would captivate audiences both young and old.

Story telling is the heart of all fiction though sometimes authors tie themselves up in linguist knots and lose sight of the importance of pace and audience involvement in their work. Not so Thomas who pitches his tales and their construction right where the reader/listener will find the most emotional connection.

I received a review copy from the author and recommend Story Tellers: In Pursuit of Happiness without reservation.

Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales
Self-Publishing Steps To Successful Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS, 7 April 2014
Seumas Keeps It Simple Sunshine and outlines in a very no nonsense (Scottish?) fashion the reality behind self-publishing. This may be short but it contains all the links those who have been churned around and spat out from the traditional publishing mechanism to Do IT Yourself.
However, in his opening paragraph he makes it crystal clear that DIY is really only for those prepared to invest the time in what is essentially a business. If you want your priceless prose read by an audience wider than your family and close friends once you've 'finished' the easy bit of writing it then grab this little gem, forget artistic pretensions for a moment, roll your sleeves up and start your business. He doesn't mention the tax advantages of establishing yourself as an 'author' but, certainly in the UK, these are many and various.
Great stuff, Seumas.

Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet Book 1)
Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love At First Sight, 16 Mar. 2014
I loved this novel from the very first lines, through the turmoil of the beautifully drawn forbidden relationship between Hallie from below decks and Philip (Mr Integrity) travelling first class on the cruise, to the nail biting climax.

Only this vessel wasn't the titanic heading for an iceberg but one of the US Navy's most powerful aircraft carriers in danger of being destroyed from within. This is a cleverly plotted and extremely well written story which is strengthened immeasurably by the inside knowledge of naval regulations from Heather Ashby's own service experience.

I need a novel to grip me and inform me in equal measures but this one added the extra elements of entrancement and a powerful feel good factor.

I did read most of this at 38,000 feet whilst flying from the UK to the Canary Islands off the coast of North Africa so the dizzy heights and cabin pressure might have contributed to what is by far the most engaging novel I have encountered for some time.

I've just downloaded the sequel, Forget Me Not, and though I will have to read this one at sea level I'm hoping that it will have the same almost mesmerising effect.

Mens famous DUNLOP elasticated gusset slippers Black, Navy & Burgundy UK sizes 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,
Price: £9.90 - £17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Best avoided!, 6 Jan. 2014
Initially these were impressive offering both comfort in the house and a certain robustness for brief excursions outside. However, after a mere three months, they suddenly SPLIT across both soles. Advertised as being suitable for using outside because of their thick soles this came as a surprise though, if I'd read ALL the reviews especially those with only ONE star, I shouldn't have been surprised.
They expired outside of the returns period but, as they didn't cost the earth, I'm not going to waste time chasing a refund/replacement. Fortunately, I hadn't left a review as, until last week, it would have been a very good one with a recommendation to purchase!
I've ordered some new Padders slippers which would appear to have more robust i.e. not man made soles.

Muddy Waters Ate My Wife
Muddy Waters Ate My Wife

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining, 26 Aug. 2013
I read this by the poolside while soaking up some Cornish sunshine but was transported to the Jersey of my youth by Paul Bisson's remarkably well written and very funny piece. The concept was brilliantly executed and his skill in managing the complex dialogue within dialogue while retaining pace and engagement was most refreshing. This is a relatively short piece but perfect for an hour's chuckle fest and Bisson's skill in storytelling and characterisation has persuaded me to download his full length novel Coyote Jack and the Bluebirds.
You don't have to have a Jersey connection to appreciate the tale of Muddy Waters gastronomic moment as this talented author pulls you right into the presence of the amazing Norman Peacock and the tale of his 'wife' where you immediately become one of the merry drinkers hanging on his every thirst provoking word.
I sense we will be reading a lot more from this talented writer. Highly recommended.

GENTLEMAN OF FORTUNE, The Adventures of Bartholomew Roberts - Pirate
GENTLEMAN OF FORTUNE, The Adventures of Bartholomew Roberts - Pirate

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rip Roaring Read, 28 July 2013
I love novels about seafaring and have read virtually everything about the Napoleonic era especially Hornblower and Kydd so this was a bit of a leap backwards in time and what a great journey it was. Because the story was based on such meticulous research the author writes with great confidence and that inspires the reader. Bart Roberts would have been a formidable fictional invention but to discover that he was real and his adventures true was a great bonus. I read of lot of books where the balance between "show and tell" is often badly distorted but this author demonstrates commendable skill in presenting a dynamic, descriptive and authentic account which receives my ultimate accolade of being a heavy-weight historical page turner! Highly recommended. Her new novel, 'One Small Candle' is already heading towards my kindle. We are going to read a lot more from this author!

The Luck of the Weissensteiners (The Three Nations Trilogy Book 1)
The Luck of the Weissensteiners (The Three Nations Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and utterly convincing, 23 July 2013
This is a tour de force from a writer completely confident in his material and research. The opening had me so gripped that I started to fall in love with Greta Weissensteiner and wanted to elbow Wilhelm aside and rescue her from his dusty bookshop. But as I have already read so much about this period I felt the tentacles of dread reaching out to throttle me as the inevitable approached and despatching Wilhelm would only have removed the Weissenteiners luck!
I've always struggled to comprehend the control Hitler exerted over his volk. There is no doubt that he was charismatic but there must have been something buried deep within the German psyche which allowed him to perpetrate such horrors on his people for what he perceived as their own good. Stalin was a simple gangster in comparison.
There have been many books written about the treatment of Jews in Europe before and during the war but few authors have succeeded in shining such a bright spotlight on the cancer of anti-Semitism as Christoph.
Ben Elton tried recently with 'Two Brothers' but, in comparison, that is a jumbled unfocussed account.
True, some readers might find the long explanatory passages challenging but this is such a complex subject that these are essential for clarity and to cement the various strands of the Weissenteiners' story together.
Christoph is meticulous in his approach and has the gifts of a natural story teller. I suspect that this is only the first in a long line of must read books.

The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Armada (A World War 2 Thriller)
The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Armada (A World War 2 Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read!, 7 July 2013
I was particularly interested in Damian Stevenson's take on Ian Fleming as I have been researching his role in 1940 myself for a sub plot in my third novel. I'm amazed by the amount of secret material still buried in the government archives about operations mounted during the second world war and have always suspected that Ian Fleming's role was far greater than previously explained. Mr Stevenson has demonstrated through his own diligent research that this is indeed the case and, from my own more limited enquiries, I know that there is far, far more yet to be revealed.
Cleverly, the author has laid down a marker for a whole series which could end up as a new James Bond type film franchise with the real inspiration for the role as the central character. There is no doubt that Operation Armada reads like a film script and, though I have no specific knowledge of the author's intentions, I suspect that is the real thrust of this novel.
Certainly, the period detail is sumptuous and Fleming's character, habits and personal preferences are very well laid out. The writing is stylish and very much in the mode of a young Fleming who, as I'm sure we will discover over this series, was responsible for some of the most imaginative operations during this war.
James Bond fans will already know how fantastical some of his exploits seem even in an age where we take new technology for granted. In Operation Armada, the author reveals that this technological war was already well established by equipping Fleming with advanced weapons which some historians might believe were only on the drawing board at the time. However, all weapons have to be tested and, in the atmosphere of intense secrecy surrounding new developments, experimental prototypes needed someone to take those risks.
On a rare sunny day in the UK, I finished reading this by the side of my pool, vodka martini sans olive close to hand though, with health and safety in mind, it was in a plastic glass. How Fleming would have laughed at my cowardice. I don't suppose he would have been too impressed by wind turbines either!
Keep this up Mr Stevenson. We need to be reminded of a time when real men weren't afraid to be heroes and, through Ian Fleming, you have the perfect vehicle to stiffen our spines.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3