Profile for Kim Stowe > Reviews

Content by Kim Stowe

Kim Stowe (East Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pet Rescue Saga
Pet Rescue Saga

3.0 out of 5 stars A huge money trap, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Pet Rescue Saga (App)
The game is pretty good & some levels need thought & planning. However, the game has clearly been designed to extract as much cash from players as possible. Every darn fail is greeted with a message to spend 69p to keep going.

Now I don't have a problem with in game purchasing, these companies have to make money somehow on free games. But this game really over steps the mark. For example, you have to clear 10 pets in 60 moves, you have 9 with 10 moves left, except there are no pets onscreen. Hmm... When you do get a pet you can bet it's one away from freedom with no moves left.

Decent game, but be sure to turn on parental controls to stop the youngsters draining your bank, and have a huge dose of self-control yourself.

Maya the Bee: Flower Party
Maya the Bee: Flower Party

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical Dishonest App Selling, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Maya the Bee: Flower Party (App)
The game is great & my daughter loves it, but this version is time bound. At the very end of the description is the phrase 'This lite-Version of the App is time-bound (15 minutes). After the time has run out, you can upgrade to the full version'. This should be in the description. The fact that it isn't is clearly designed to think you are getting the full version, so that when it times out your children will nag you to buy it.

Amazon should not allow this outrageous ploy. This should be more CLEARLY marked as the demo version that it clearly is.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-XS1 - Violet + Case + 8GB MicroSD Card + Multi Card Reader + Screen Protector and Tripod (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Package, 9 April 2014
Nice little camera, well worth the price alone, but include the other items & you have a deal not to be missed. The whole package is less than you can pay for the camera on its own. Was delivered very quickly, too, so can happily recommend..

Accounting, Bookkeeping and Personal Finance Software Toolkit for Business or Home
Offered by eMonster Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 9 April 2014
The price is good, but the programs are nothing special. Most can be found by doing a quick Google search. Nice to be all ;pulled together for you, so it might be worth the small amount to save you time. For me, the programs weren't good enough for my needs, so I ended up buying Sage Instant on Ebay.

Thanks, Smokey! (Original Soundtrack)
Thanks, Smokey! (Original Soundtrack)

3.0 out of 5 stars Catchy tune, 24 Nov 2013
Catchy little track, but you really need to see it with the video for the best effect. Probably not worth nearly £1 though, but if you've got some promo saved up, it's worth getting it for free.

AKORD® TRUE HDMI MATRIX (4 input, 2 output) SWITCH SELECTOR SPLITTER HUB + iR REMOTE FULL HD 3D 1080P FOR HDTV, Connect to TV, DVD BLURAY PS3 XBOX SKY HOME CINEMA DTS-HD PROJECTOR
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but can get annoying., 3 July 2013
First, the good:
My setup is in my living room with the main, large HDTV (port A) & a small HDTV (port B) nearby. I currently have 2 inputs to two outputs. Sky+HD on port 1 & PS3 on port 3(!). I quick press on the remote & I can mix & match which input goes to which output.

For sound, I use the Audio out on the Switch to feed my Surround Sound player for the Large TV & the HDMI feed plays to the small TV.

The Switch is very small & is tucked away on top of my Surround Sound box.

Now the bad:
Be aware that the audio out ONLY feeds from Port A. Obviously, you get sound over the HDMI lead to the appropriate TV, but if you need sound to an external output, you can only do this from Port A. Not an issue for me, since I use this for the S/S on my main TV.

The other annoying issue is that 80% of the time my PS3 on Port 3 feeding to Port B, but whenever the PS3 is turned off, or the 'B' TV is put into standby (meal times, say) OR the Switch is turn off, Port B will revert to feed from Port 2. The Switch has an auto-switch feature, but it doesn't seem to matter if 'A' TV is on, or not, B will switch to 2: irritating but not really a deal breaker. Press the button on the remote & all is well. (Yes, I know I can put it on 2, but it's 3 for a reason. ;))

As an aside & not really directly relevant to this review, but might help others learn from my stupidity:
I bought a new TV for my PS3 recently & changed the PS3 display set up. When I plugged everything in to this Switch & checked everything worked, I got no image on the the main TV. Panic! First, thought the switch must be faulty. But no, my main TV is quite old, so only displays 1080i, but the new one is 1080p. Oops... Changing the PS3 config to ignore 1080p had everything working properly.

HDMIKing- 2 Meter (6.6 ft) HDMI KING Gold Plated, High Speed HDMI to HDMI Cable with Ferrite Cores [Fuss-Free Packaging]
Offered by RightPriceUK

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 3 July 2013
It's a good quality cable, which works. What more is there to say? I don't how much better than cheap ones it is, but having the chokes is not a bad thing.

MiniSquadron Special Edition
MiniSquadron Special Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game if you can handle the controls, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: MiniSquadron Special Edition (App)
If I was rating this for myself, I'd give it a 3*. I simply do not 'get' the controls. I'm a hardcore gamer, level 18 on the PS3 for those that know about such things. Perhaps that's why I struggle.

So, to be fair, I'm rating it based on my daughter's play. She is almost 5yo & loves this game. (We got the 'Blue' version for free, but it kept locking up - coincidences? hmm... - so I paid for this version. And it's pink, result! LOL) Anyway, she has no problems with the controls & is zipping about the air, free as a bird. Opening up new planes & new levels keeps the interest high. I've almost got used to the squeals of delight as she shows me her latest planes.

If the Blue version is still free, I suggest trying that first, to see if (unlike me) you can handle the controls. If you can, this is well worth a look, too.

Mini Shot Basketball
Mini Shot Basketball

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but get sboring very quickly, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mini Shot Basketball (App)
It's ok for a quick time waster, but it shows why converting 'seaside arcade' games is a little pointless. It's good value for free, but I wouldn't pay for it. because you'll probably have stopped playing by the time Amazon give you the next fee App.

Tomb Raider: Collectors Edition (PS3)
Tomb Raider: Collectors Edition (PS3)
Offered by FLBENTERPRISES

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collector's Edition, 31 Mar 2013
As a game it harks back to the spirit of the original Tomb Raider games on the PS1. Like them, the story is pretty linear, but this doesn't detract from the game play & you can revisit most areas as you progress in the game. I did this to ensure I had 100% of everything before I finished the story. In some ways this made the ending much easier, although still quite tense & dramatic, because you gain XP / skill points which you use to improve Lara.

Calling it Tomb Raider, though, is something of a misnomer. You get to explore four OPTIONAL tombs, which are really only environmental logic puzzles. You are never in any danger while solving they, so they are a welcome break from the fighting, but they do stop the flow of the game. If you are desperate to save your friends, why would you waste so much time jumping about in caves, pushing & pulling stuff?

Sadly, the multiplayer feels tacked on & there no real pressing reason to play unless you are a trophy collector like me. Then the amount of time needed to gain Platinum is just ridiculous.

As a single player game, it would have got 5* for the game & the extra content. But the tedious online mode drags it down. They should have dropped the multiplayer, extended the story & made the tombs more meaningful. But I still think it's a great game with excellent additional material.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3