Profile for Mark > Reviews

Any Human Heart
Any Human Heart
by William Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Any Human Heart (Paperback)
This book is incredible. What a massive task to write a fictional diary that convincingly covers an entire lifetime. But Boyd has done it. And he shows us so much about human nature along the way. I couldn't put it down.

Restless
Restless
by William Boyd
Price: 6.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, but not Boyd at his best, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Restless (Paperback)
I was mezmerized by Boyd's "Any Human Heart" and bought this hoping for some kind of similar experience. I liked the parallel tracks of the two seperate time periods interplaying with each other. But I wasn't remotely convinced by the narrators, who both speak in Boyd's voice rather than their own. The element of tension does build up but fizzles at the end. The German and Iranian characters add nothing at all and I found them to be irrelevent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 10:33 AM GMT

Taking Liberties
Taking Liberties
by Chris Atkins
Price: 7.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful vanity project, a waste of time and money, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Taking Liberties (Paperback)
This book is total garbage. Some nobody with loads of money has seemingly self-published this self-indulgent and rubbish book. The guy desperately wants to be famous. He put himself on the front cover. He's ripping off respectable campaigners like Michael Moore and Mark Thomas and trying to make a fast buck out of it or at least a name for himself, neither of which he deserves. Urgh. Opinion polls and local election results already show that everybody knows that Blair has overstayed his welcome and why. I don't need this wannabe to tell me what I already know, and then exaggerate and twist facts to make up some sensational attempt at a story. I almost vomited before I flung it away. Leave us alone you filthy conman.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2011 10:33 PM GMT