Profile for A. D. Bowyer > Reviews

Content by A. D. Bowyer

A. D. Bowyer "davidb2972" (United Kingdom)

The Island [DVD] [2005]
The Island [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

4.0 out of 5 stars It Kept The Missus Awake, 1 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Island [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I like Ewan McGregor as do most people, this film took quite a battering by the critics but I really liked it, but what really made this film good was the fact that it kept my wife glued to the screen. Normally the eyelids close after about 20 mins but good old Ewan kept her awake for the whole film.

For me that's worth the 4 stars!

Thanks Ewan

Casino Royale (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [2006] [DVD]
Casino Royale (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger Better Badder Bond, 27 Feb 2007
Being an avid Bond fan I had high hopes for this installment....I wasn't disappointed Craig takes Bond to a new level and keeps him there! Connery did the best he could with what was available to him at the time and to me he is still the best, I even liked Dalton because he was closer to the hard edged bond we should see on the screen, Craig takes on the mantle and makes Bond cold, but vulnerable, hard but able to take a beating and he is able to deliver the one liners without coming across as naff.

Craig is an excellent choice to take over from the good but flagging Brosnan.

Bond fan or not buy it, rent it but definately see it you will not be disappointed.

Sahara [DVD] [2005]
Sahara [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.70

2.0 out of 5 stars It promised so much!, 7 Nov 2005
This review is from: Sahara [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
From all of the reviews on this film I expected so much more.
I expected more thrills, more suspense, more action and maybe even a little love interest, considering that McConaughey and Cruz are supposed to be an item the on screen chemistry for me was none existent.
Zahn saves this picture from being just another action / adventure movie! For those of you who may remember Jake Speed (god awful movie) this could be a 2005 tribute.
I was always under the impression that Pitt was tough, resourceful and a lady killer....not in this movie, McConaughey plays him like a 20 something surfer out for a ride!!
It lacked any real substance and I found myself looking at my watch waiting for the end.
Worth the rental for the excellent Zahn and gorgeous Cruz but not worth buying.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico [DVD] [2011]
Once Upon a Time in Mexico [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas|Salma Hayek|Johnny Depp
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 3.74

2.0 out of 5 stars What is this all about, 11 Mar 2004
Ok so I loved El Mariachi and Desperado and I know that they are not exactly cinematic masterpieces but at least they were entertaining! This is just rubbish, I rate Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek (only in the film in flashbacks and on the front cover) and I rate Johnny Depp but this is absolutely terrible. The only real redeeming actor factor is Ruben Blades. Mickey Rourke looks and acts like he's made of plastic and Willem Defoe may as well just not be in it. I also cannot believe they cast Enrique Englesias, did Rodriguez just employ anyone with a mexican sounding name, the most dangerous thing about Enrique is his toupee!. The action sequences look second rate and the expolsions are right out of a fireworks box.
Rent this if you must just to see the final Rodriguez instalment but do not buy it.

Point Break [DVD]
Point Break [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Swayze
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Pure Adrenaline my friend, 9 April 2003
This review is from: Point Break [DVD] (DVD)
What can I say this has to be one of the best films of the 90's it brought together two of the era's biggest box office draws and slammed them into a cracking movie.
Although adrenline junkies will disagree this movie was the best mainstream effort to bring extreme sports to the cinema screen.
Add to the surfing and sky-diving, bank robbery, car chases, love interest, parties, shoot outs and a cool soundtrack and you have a movie which few can match.
Ironically casting Gary busey from the ultimate surfing movie (Big Wednesday) as the overweight cop who cannot surf was genious.
No matter how many times I watch this movie it's as good as the last.
100% Utah!