Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Death on the Nile (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 17)
Death on the Nile (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 17)

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic of crime fiction., 7 Jan. 2015
Have seen the film a couple of times, so I thought it was time to read the book. I'm not a huge Christie fan, having only read 5 or 6 of her novels, but have probably found this the most enjoyable to date.

Relaxso Stereo ASLEEP Pillow Speaker, Micro Fleece Violet
Relaxso Stereo ASLEEP Pillow Speaker, Micro Fleece Violet

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Shame about quality build and after-sales service., 15 Oct. 2014
In principle, a really good product. I have enjoyed using it. However, I bought it in February 2014 and the product has already developed a fault, i.e. one of the speakers has stopped working. In the UK at least, this type of product will come with a 12 month warranty/guarantee. I have got around 8 months light-use out of the product. I have tried to get a replacement from the Amazon and have not been able to do so. I have looked at the Relaxso website and could not get in contact about the issue either. Of course, if I wanted to buy new ones, the opportunities to do so we're limitless.

It's a shame that, what is essentially a good product, is let down by poor service. I might eventually buy another one, but would look around at other products that are more robust first. Of course, a supplier with a better faulty returns policy is also likely to get my attention as well.

Blandings Castle and Elsewhere: (Blandings Castle)
Blandings Castle and Elsewhere: (Blandings Castle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blandings starting to win me over, 21 Feb. 2014
I'm a huge admirer of P.G. Wodehouse, but have never loved his other stories and characters as much as Jeeves and Wooster and their adventures. I've previously read the first two Blandings novels and after the slow start of 'Something Fresh', I'm starting to get into Blandings and really enjoyed the short stories in this collection. Initially disappointed that this collection also included non-Blandings short stories, but enjoyed those as well. So, while never as great as Messrs Jeeves and Wooster - nothing could be - I still strongly recommend 'Blandings Castle & Elsewhere'. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face, even in the most trying of circumstances, and also has quite a few laugh out loud moments. Enjoy!

Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars BSG II - Couldn't be More Different, 19 Feb. 2014
The 'new' BSG passed me by on its original release and I wasn't a huge fan of the original. But, the two couldn't be more different. The original was much more of a TV take on Star Wars: a cowboys in space, shoot 'em up space opera. Whereas, the new version is a grittier, grown-up sci-fi show. Both versions are entertaining in their way and I prefer the new version. I have started watching season 1 on the strength of this mini series. Avoid if you like constant action sci-fi, but I heartily recommend this to those who want to watch a dramatic sci-fi series. Do note that you will need to devote a few hours to this DVD if you want to watch the thing in one go.

A few points on the production values and the DVD quality, as opposed from the show:

1) In these days of HD the DVD picture quality is already starting to be a bit wanting - I suppose the answer may be get an HD format if this is really likely to bother you very much;
2) Why do all modern epics swamp the actor's dialogue with very loud background music and effects, especially as the on-screen conversations are often delivered quietly and in mumbles? Although, I accept that some of this might be due to my hearing deteriorating; and
3) The menu options could have been a bit better: the two parts not broken down. You have to play the whole thing as one feature; making it difficult to find a natural stopping point, if you want to which the mini series as it was originally shown in two episodes.

However, these are minor quibbles, this is really a very good show.

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Sweet About This, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
A very disappointing, cold, soulless and dreary book that is nowhere near as clever as it would like to be.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem of a pleasantly peculiar tale, 30 Jun. 2013
This was another choice of my book club. Hadn't heard of it before that and wasn't certain that I was going to like it. It was described to me as similar to 'Forrest Gump'. While it's never fair to make those types of comparisons, it's true that this book has a similar plot device. However, this novel stands on its own. I found it hugely enjoyable and full of whimsy. I would have to say that I enjoyed this book much more than the 'Forrest Gump' novel. Without wanting to spoil the story for you, while it has a lightness of touch and is gently humorous, it's not without murder and violence.

I heartily recommend it if you want a story that's a bit different, quirky, humorous. Finally, I also cared for the characters and wanted to know how they fared.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Grossly overated and you couldn't pay me to finish reading it!, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I confess at the outset that this was the choice of my book club and wouldn't have caught my attention otherwise. Having said that I began to read it with an open mind. I have previously read books that weren't my choice and ended up loving them. Sadly, that wasn't the case here. As my heading says, you couldn't pay me to finish this tome. Now, I don't say this with pleasure as I try not to give up on books, even if they are real stinkers. Strangely, this is not the worst book I've ever read and it's certainly not badly written. The characters ring vaguely true. However, the characters and the book are, at best, highly unlikeable. I really don't care what happens to the characters and just hope I never meet anyone like them in real life. I don't know whether it's one of those books that truly splits people, i.e. you either love it or hate it but by this point you should be under no illusion as to which team I'm on. Consequently, the praise that so many critics have heaped on this book totally astonishes me.

Finally, if I could give this book less than one star I would. I don't know whether you can return ebooks but, if the Amazon Kindle people are listening, please, please take this back. Oh, Ms Flynn, nothing personal, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Traitor, Hero, Spy (reissued)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from A to Zigzag, 2 May 2013
Very rare for my to be gripped from the first sentence. This book managed it. Simply, a totally gripping read.

Dunlop Garden Shoes Size 11
Dunlop Garden Shoes Size 11
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and useful, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Dunlop Garden Shoes Size 11
A good idea as they can slip on much more easily than full height wellies. Very useful and do their job well. The price is good value.

ABUS  24IB/60 DISKUS PADLOCK STAINLESS STEEL
ABUS 24IB/60 DISKUS PADLOCK STAINLESS STEEL

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Padlocks, 28 Oct. 2012
Can't wax lyrical about padlocks but they are perfect for what they are meant to do and can't think of any bad points. This is the second time I bought this brand and Thouroughly recommend them.

Page: 1 | 2