Profile for Party Marty > Reviews

Pointless Travel
Pointless Travel
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as fun as it should be, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Pointless Travel (Toy)
The problem with this game is quite simply that it betrays the smart format of the TV show. The questions are very wide-reaching and have too many possible answers, so the rules restrict it to a multiple choice. This is not the Pointless we know and love!

We got around this limitation, by tailoring it with our own rules and it worked a little better. Read out a question, and people take it in turns to give obscure answers. If it's on the card, great - use the points given. If it's not on the card and *is* correct (have Google on your phone to hand!). the player gets a bog-standard score of 75 points. This is rather cruel as it doesn't reward some very obscure answers appropriately, but is probably the only way to try and replicate the nature of the gameshow.

A shame, really. This could be great, but they clearly need to pick questions with only 15 or so possible correct answers.

VEO iPad Air Case - Full Body Smart Cover for iPad Air 2013 (5th Generation), Black
Offered by Purplemoose007

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't own this item. Here's my review..., 15 Nov. 2013
So, as I said in the title, I don't own this item. I haven't paid money for it. I haven't waited for it to arrive by post. You could say I'm totally unqualified to give a review of this product.

However, this hasn't stopped the other "reviewers" on this page, so why should this small issue hold me back?.

I came here, genuinely interested in an iPad case. The photos look nice. The Youtube videos look fine. But no sale from me. Why would I buy a product that is being sold by a company that wants to deceive customers?

Amazon will no doubt delete this and so they should. But perhaps at the same time, they could *take a brief look at the other reviews on this page and DELETE THEM TOO*?

A few clicks will tell you that every one of the five-star reviews are fake and written by people solely interested in this particular company.

The comments on the reviews will tell you that customers have been misled.

Amazon; is it really worth the commission to give your customers a bad experience? Sort it out now, before it gets completely out of hand.

Samsung UE22F5400 22-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim Smart LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 25 Oct. 2013
I had a few demands from this TV, which I'm using as a bedroom set. I should state that I wasn't expecting amazing picture or perfect sound as this is not my primary set.

1) It had to have adequate connections for an Xbox, an Apple TV and a Blu-ray player
It does; by components and 2xHDMI respectively)

2) It had to be have wake-up features.
It does although if I was being picky they're a bit limited compared to older models.

3)It had to have access to the major catch-up internet services.
It does; it excels here with pretty much service catered for.

So, yeah, I had a few "picky" if not overly extravagant wishes for this TV and this met them all.

SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5S/ 5 Case Ultra Thin Air Series Smooth White
SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5S/ 5 Case Ultra Thin Air Series Smooth White

4.0 out of 5 stars Equal to the task, 25 Oct. 2013
It's bizarre the number of ugly looking iPhone cases there are on the market. Since you pay a premium for the phone, it's very strange that so many of the phone are cheap-looking and nasty. Frankly, I just wanted something that looked inconspicuous, protected the phone and left the bottom of the phone free to dock while still enclosed in the case.

For these purposes, the SPICGEN is equal to the task. Ok, so that back is nowhere near as nice as the iPhone's actual fascia, but at least it's protective and low-key.

A few downsides:

1) The logo. As I say, I wanted something very low-key as a choice of case and the logo is perhaps a little too large and would perhaps be more at home on one of the sides than emblazoned on the back.

2) The white one can get a little grubby (far grubbier than the phone will in the same circumstances). Easily cleaned and not a problem with the black version, but worth bearing in mind.

Aside from these minor nitpicks, this does the job.

N64 to PC USB Controller Adapter
N64 to PC USB Controller Adapter
Offered by Shop4funUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...for Macs too!, 29 Jan. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've recently had a rather pesky hankering to replay GoldenEye 007 but, because I wasn't keen on making space for my old N64, decided to settle on emulation on my Macbook. The game ran pretty well...but how to play it?. Console games aren't designed for keyboards and my old USB gamepad (based on the Xbox design) just wasn't up to the task.

Then I saw this product. It seemed relatively well-priced and had good reviews for Windows, so I gave it a go.

Despite being advertised only as a Windows device, it works absolutely perfectly on a Mac. No drivers. Just plug and play. It worked so well with GoldenEye, it gave me an urge to play more classic N64 games. And then a further urge to play SNES and NES games! Because Nintendo have kept to a fairly rigid format with controls (at least until the Wii, anyway), you can map this very well with the games of the N64's older brothers.

The build quality is superb and it simply works exactly how you'd expect it to. I'm not sure if it works for multiplayer use but it's perfect for me.

MediaDevil Apple iPhone 4 / 4S Screen Protector: Magicscreen Crystal Clear (Invisible) Edition - (2 x Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 23 April 2012
Ever since Apple's idevices arrived, hundreds of companies have popped up to trade on their name and ubiquity to produce third-party products. Some are good, most are awful. MediaDevil is somewhere near the top of the heap.

There are plenty of other screen protectors available, but I've yet to find any quite as good as the MagicScreen protector. I've tried Zagg's invisible shield before but was rather alarmed when in, hot weather, it essentially "melted". Media Devil's Magic Screen is far more robust and I've purchased them for both iPad and iPhone.

The product is is well packaged and comes with good instructions (videos are also available online).

Application is tricky and not helped by the fact that you only get 2 in each pack. For this reason, I've knocked off a star from full marks, as the pressure one feels when applying their second screen protector (after the first attempt has failed) reaches the level of intensity you feel when watching someone disarming a nuclear bomb in a movie! It would be great if these were available in single or three-packs.

Creating a dust-free environment isn't all that tricky, but making sure the protector is applied straight is far more awkward as re-applying is a sure way of creating bubbles and inviting dust. The problem is that the cover has three holes (for the speaker, the camera and the home button on the phone) and it's tricky to align these without things getting wonky. I was overly happy with the slightly askew way my first one went on, and removing it and re-applying it just ended up in bubbles. My second attempt was straighter but still not perfect...but I daren't try to re-adjust it now.

I'd suggest that the manufacturers considering using red outlines around the holes (on the outer sheet that is pulled away) just to make it easier to see whether things are lining up correctly, as lining up something transparent is difficult.

Overall though, this is a good product, packaged well and with great support from the company. And a free-gift of some Maoam candy is a nice way of creating good customer relations!

Behind the Bell
Behind the Bell

3.0 out of 5 stars A Guilty Pleasure, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Behind the Bell (Kindle Edition)
A newsflash that no one needed to hear: Former child-actor Dustin Diamond is bitter, resentful and unable to let go of his past.

To that end, he has written an autobiography on what it was like to be a 90's child star on board the, bafflingly successful, TV show Saved By The Bell... mainly, it seems, so he can tear strips off his former co-stars (the main targets being Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Mario Lopez and Tiffani Thiessen).

A lot of reviewers (more so on Amazon.com) have commented on Dustin Diamond's writing ability, which I find a little unfair. It's written in a bloggy style and, while his sentence construction isn't going to win any awards, I found the book emminently readable.

A more valid criticism is that the narrative is all over the place and Diamond sorely needs an editor, as I'd be surprised if this was read through once by another pair of eyes before hitting the presses. I can ignore the repeated paragraphs and typos (sloppy, yes. A deal-breaker, no) but the overall form of the boook is a more pressing concern. It bounces around in the 1990's with no narrative cohesion and anecdotes are repeated often. It sorely lacks structure and one wishes that the "Dustman" (?!) had enlisted some help to sort this out in the drafting stages. Often, however, the author seems to be just some venting a stream of consciousness- perhaps explaining the occasional factual errors.

What I found a little disappointing was that the story effectively ends after SBTB, and there's little mention of the two spin-offs (The College Years, The New Class) in which Diamond was involved - or some of his more frequent troubles which has led to his new-found infamy. There's probably an interesting story about his estranged relationship with his father but Diamond chooses not to tell it, simply assuring us that it would make another book (the less than inevitable sequel) in its own right. No, for this book, he'd rather just continue to moan about famous people or boast about his sexual exploits (supposedly sordid when his co-stars did it, but not so for him. At Disneyland)

Dustin Diamond is undeniably a pretty sorry individual. And yet, I enjoyed every braincell-destroying moment of this book. It's certainly not big or clever and it certainly IS trashy and dumb, but in writing such a meandering whining tome, Dustin Diamond may have delivered the most accurate representation of any autobiographer. This book, in all its bitter, meandering and pathetic glory, IS Dustin Diamond.

I'm sure there are elements of truth in some of his, potentially libelous, stories and that, in itself, is entertaining. But there's a secondary level to this and, if you can distance yourself from the author, you'll find yourself shaking your head in bemusement at his need to tell these stories. The book, as result becomes entertaining in a whole new way. This is a guy who wants to screech to the world "I'm not that nerdy TV character - I got laid a whole bunch of times!".

Ps. While I liked this book, it probably helped that I only paid 64p for it. Ensure you get the Kindle version...

Nerd Do Well
Nerd Do Well
by Simon Pegg

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerd; Do Better, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Paperback)
Perhaps I expected too much but I found this to be a bit of a disappointment. It's well-written, but the narrative is a little scattershot; bouncing around history, invariably repeating bits and pieces and never really concentrating on the stuff I suspect many of his fans want in focus. While autobiographies are, by their very nature, self-indulgent (a fact that Pegg admits early on), often I get the feeling that he wants to dwell too much on his childhood and not enough on the things that gave him a wider audience. I can understand that he'd rather reminisce about being a youngling than talking about the stuff he discusses all the time but, to be frank, his childhood isn't particularly out of the ordinary and is neither sombre nor hilarious. Plus, I got a little irritated by the frequent concept of "If I'd only known in 20 years time that I would get to meet the director of this film..." if only because it starts to get a little conceited.

Spaced, Star Trek, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are skimmed over. What we get instead are sporadic chapters devoted to a "novel" that Pegg is, supposedly, writing. An interesting idea but, after a couple of entries, the jokes wears pretty thin and I invariably starting skipping them.

Don't get me wrong; there's some really nice stuff in here (a chapter on a frenchgirl he had a crush being the standout) but if you want Simon Pegg discussing "the things you saw him in", this isn't it.

South Park - Season 14 [DVD]
South Park - Season 14 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker

1.0 out of 5 stars VOTE WITH YOUR FEET, 2 Sept. 2011
This review is from: South Park - Season 14 [DVD] (DVD)
I'd normally hesitate to review a product I don't own but looking at the blurb for this makes my blood boil. "The Complete 14th Season"..."All 12 Episodes...".

There are 14 episodes of this season. Not 12. 14.

I love South Park and have bought each season without exception. How do Comedy Central/Paramount reward the loyalty of South Park fans? By censoring the show itself and marketing it as if we'll somehow forget that they're too afraid to release two episodes that, in the grand scheme of things, were actually quite tame. This is disgraceful and especially ironic considering the concept of those two missing episodes.

This is the 21st century and it's frankly ridiculous that this is happening. Don't buy this and maybe they'll release this properly.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 9:39 PM BST

Synology DS211j 2-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)
Synology DS211j 2-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 Jun. 2011
I've been debating whether to purchase a NAS for a while. I guess I'd labelled it as a "nice-to-have" rather than an "essential purchase". Well, I was wrong. This isn't "nice-to-have", this is "fantastic-to-have".

I have an evergrowing network at home; a Macbook, a netbook, a PC, Apple TV2 and an Xbox (with Media Center). Sharing files between each of them was rather cumbersome. Furthermore, I've been giving thought into replacing my PC with a iMac but didn't want to say goodbye to Windows completely. I ruled out Virtualisation, so am now going down the dual-boot route. Unfortunately, this means even more quandaries about sharing files...

A NAS seemed the simplest way of getting round things, and giving me some fault-tolerance along the way. After a little deliberation, I settled on the Synology because, well, look at the reviews.

I purchased the NAS alongside a couple of 2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint disks. These particular disks had a known issue where the firmware needed updating before it could be used (reliably) in a NAS. Disks made after Jan 2011 have been given the fix pre-sales and, after checking the build dates on mine, I seem to have got lucky. They are great value disks, but do tread carefully because of this.

Formatting the disks took a bit of time (about 6 hours) but after that, it was a fairly swift process of customization. I've set the disks up as RAID 1 to provide fault tolerance, plus set up automated back-ups for MAC and my Windows machines. Next came the boring bit: the copying of all my files to the NAS. I let this run overnight.

Top of the list of priorities for anyone buying one of these should be to sort out DDNS. If you're with an ISP that issues you an ever-changing IP address, you'll need a web address to allow remote accces to your files (whether by remote machines or by smartphone). It may sound complicated to novices, but it's a simple process. Most of the companies that provide these do so free of charge.

Once this in place, the true genius of this product starts to shine through. Synology have several apps for iPhone (and Android too, I believe) allowing easy log in through smartphone. Best of the bunch is the DS Audio app which allows streaming of your entire music library over 3G or Wifi. If you've got a music library that you have no chance of squeezing onto your phone, this comes in pretty handy.

Negatives? I'm scraping the barrell here, but I haven't been able to use the iTunes server because the AppleTv doesn't recognise libraries stored on NAS. This is of course, an issue with the AppleTv and not the NAS. Either way, it's not a huge bugbear. My iTunes library remains on my computer (pretty much the only files that are) and is regularly backed up to the NAS in the proprietary music folder; allowing me to use the streaming for my iPhone.

Positives? Everything. Wonderful design. Works like a charm.

The most fun I've had with a gadget since the iPhone; tons of features, simple to use and a joy to customise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2011 11:14 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3