Profile for salbrookley > Reviews

The Sun: A Biography
The Sun: A Biography
by David Whitehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Raises the bar for science writing, 8 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Sun: A Biography (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant book. It's written with style and authority. very accesible and engaging and full of wonderful stories many of which were new to me. The scientific bits are explained superbly and the author is not shy of being controversial, viz his section on the sun and global warming.
To my mind this book should be piled high in the front of all good bookshops.
With this book and his previous one on the moon Whitehouse has, in my opinion, demonstrated he is the best science writer writing in the UK today. I have read many science books and writers over the years and can honestly say this book was a breath of fresh air - very accesible yey making no appologies for being intellectual.
Whitehouse raises the bar on science writing though I suspect it may take others a while to realise this. So many of the other science writers in the UK are just going through the motions (Complexity by Gribben is an example as is Nature and Nurture by Ridley) and have ceased to write books of substance that shine through the hype.
I saw Patrick Moore on the Sky at Night recently touch on the subject of the sun. Why I wonder did he not have Whitehouse on to talk about it? Perhaps it is because, with a book like this, Whitehouse has taken over the batton.