Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Southern UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Staccato / Paris Swings
Staccato / Paris Swings

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but dated, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Staccato / Paris Swings (Audio CD)
I bought this album for the track "Jazz at Waldo's". I remember this music going way back to the early sixties. The "Staccato" music is great and full of, for want of a better expression, "atmospheric Jazz" arrangements. By this I mean music written for big band and essentially composed for film scenes. Paris Swings did nothing for me and I don't recall any of the arrangements. The Staccato part of the album whilst being slightly dated is nevertheless music of its time and deserves a re-hearing by those recall some of the music. My own recollection is of Jazz at Waldo's being the "B" side of the Staccato theme on 45 rpm or was it 78rpm ?

Fujifilm Premium Leather Case for FinePix X100
Fujifilm Premium Leather Case for FinePix X100

4.0 out of 5 stars Very expensive but valuable accessory, 26 May 2012
If you are concerned about protecting your camera body then purchasing a case of some description is a good idea. I opted for the Premium leather case which comes at a premium price. However, it does wrap around and give the necessary assurance that the camera is protected from knocks and scrapes. Only one thing that detracts from it marginally and that is if you have the filter adaptor screwed in holding a filter then the case does not close properly. There is a small gap as the case is unable to close fully. Irritating but it does mean that you will have to keep on screwing on the filter holder/adaptor every time you want to use the camera. I particularly like to have a filter covering the lens all of the time. That's why four stars only.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera - Silver (12.3MP, APS-C CMOS EXR) 2.8 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - once you get the hang of it., 5 May 2012
As an impatient and very amateur photographer I cannot always be bothered to "fool around" for too long before I take photos and like a camera easy to handle. I did read some of the reviews on Amazon which did warn that this was not an easy option for those perhaps less knowledgeable about cameras. I decided to take the plunge anyway and with the price being very affordable and at least £200 cheaper than of recent times, it was a "no brainer" option and being the camera of the year 2011, it was subsequently bought. I had considered the Leica X1 but the price was "lottery winner" territory. My first reaction when taking the camera out of the box was that it had weight and felt "good" to hold. I have had the camera a few weeks now and it has to be said that for a while I was wondering why I had decided to buy it as I was having trouble getting this to work the way I wanted and because I am the occasional photographer I had forgotten most things by the time I came to use it again. I bought the kindle version of the book which shows you how to do it all, but this is where being impatient comes into play and I have very little tolerance to guides; I am very much hands on. I need to press the buttons and turn the dials. Recognising my faults I cannot criticise the camera for these and once mastered (almost) the proof then must be in the "eating". Thus far I have not been disappointed and I have had the opportunity to use the camera in both blue sky and sunny options, grey rainy days and also within environments of available light (Cathedral churches)where the results have been very satisfactory indeed, especially the HD movie mode which has produced fantastic results. I am now getting used to it after about two months and look forward to an opportunity to be be more creative and use all the modes available. Getting used to the options and what buttons do what is the first test. I envy those more serious photographers who are able to pick up a camera and understand it all straight away. But dont be faint hearted if you're like me. The results are worth the wait and the fiddling around with knobs and buttons.

JJC LH-JX100 Lens Adapter and Hood for Fujifilm Finepix X100, X100s, X100T
JJC LH-JX100 Lens Adapter and Hood for Fujifilm Finepix X100, X100s, X100T

5.0 out of 5 stars Adequate generic version, 5 May 2012
Fujifilm were having a laugh when they priced their lens hood and adapter for the X100. This replica which is an amazing "lookalike", apparently made of the same material, is absolutely first class. Try this first.

Heavenly
Heavenly
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Johnny Mathis, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Heavenly (Audio CD)
My Mother had the vynil album back in the 1960s and somehow I ended up with it shortly after. It has long disappeared and I remember that it was a gentle album of ballads with some wonderful arrangements. I hadn't heard it for many years but the melodies lingered on and I made this purchase knowing that listening to it again would transport me back to a different age when there were tunesmiths who knew how to create melody. This purchase is not only nostalgia run wild but also the opportunity to listen to an album which even so many years after its original release has lost none of its appeal. Timeless, indeed.

Best Of
Best Of

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music from Zoot, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Best Of (Audio CD)
I remember Zoot Money in the 60s. Although Georgie Fame seemed to have the ascendancy, Zoot's band was as good I think. I hadn't heard any Zoot Money since that time and when I played the first few tracks on the CD I wonderd if I had made the correct choice. Zoot with strings? Ballads? Once we got to track 6 I became more animated and Big Time Operator took me right back to those heady days of Rhythm and Blues Bands of the 60s. Then Zoot gets into a James Brown groove and for those of us who were around then this was memory lane gone wild. Zoot's rendition of Jimmy Smith's "The Cat" is probably even better. Great Hammond music. The latter tracks were really what I was anticipating and I thoroughly enjoyed this musical trip into my past. If you were around at the time and remember the man himself, then you will not be disappointed with this album

Beat Girl
Beat Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Beat Girl soundtrack is best, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Beat Girl (Audio CD)
I was just a kid when this film and soundtrack album came out. I possesed the original vynil version on LP 33rpm. This was subsequently stolen from my classroom as I had taken the album to school to show the other kids how cool I was by owning it. I did manage to see the film which was classified "X" at the time and only suitable for those aged 16 or over. As for the movie plot I do not recall that much and today it would probably be classified "12". Anyway, the music shows just how good John Barry really was, even at such an early stage in his composing career. At the time one just listened to it and it was of its era. I was perhaps more keen on the Adam Faith bits than the orchestral arrangements which formed part of the on going sound track.

Listening to the album today, I particularly enjoyed Vic Flick and his style of guitar playing which became a hallmark of the early 60s. The other instrumental tracks also speak of their time in the arrangements and in the influences that one hears. I thought I could hear Basie on one track. This Beat Girl bit of the album here released is great. But, the album does suffer from the bits that have been added to make up the time and this I feel detracts from the overall enjoyment. Why on earth have they included such banal tracks from Gillian Hills? The quality of the John Barry Sound tracks also disappoint. Adding Adam Faith's "What do you want" and tracks like "Christmas Shop" really let the album down and in any event for Adam Faith fans are available elsewhere cheaply on CD.

Nevertheless, The original Beat Girl soundtrack is great to hear again and thats 51 years after the event !!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 10:11 AM BST

Oh Boy!
Oh Boy!
Offered by MEDIAWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Transported me back to the good old days, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Oh Boy! (Audio CD)
This album transported me back to an age of innocence and pure rock and roll. For those who remember the TV programme it will be a sweet journey into the past. Thoroughly recommended for all old rockers who were around at the time. Good for parties probably.

Selected Writings and Speeches of Marcus Garvey (Dover Thrift Editions)
Selected Writings and Speeches of Marcus Garvey (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Robert Blaisdell

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Whites, 16 Dec 2011
There is no doubt that Marcus Garvey was an exceptional human being. His speeches aand writings are eloquent and speak to whites as well as blacks. Although all this happened a long time ago, one wonders whether the world has moved progressively forward in its treatment of black people. The speeches are of their time and naturally Garvey's vision has perhaps been partially realised as most of Africa is a continent of independant black states. I found his writings sustained my attention and I identified strongly with sentiments he expressed in relation to the emancipation and manumission of black people in the "Babylon" of the Western Hemisphere in the early twentieth century. Highly recommended and essential reading for all regardless of colour.

All Star Groups - Three Classic Albums Plus (Mulligan Meets Monk / Gerry Mulligan Meets Stan Getz / The Gerry Mulligan-Paul Desmond Quartet)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mulligan Music, 10 Sep 2011
Most of these albums came out when I was a destitute teenager well into modern jazz. I could not afford LPs at 37s/6d as this was a substantial part of my weeks wages at that time. I realise what I was missing and this collection of albums allows me to relive the possible moments I would have had if money constraints didn't have their hold. I already have the Mulligan - Desmond album but is was great to hear for the first time Mulligan meets Monk. Most enjoyable and though later Mulligan may appeal to a different ear, essentially this music is timeless and a great pleasure to listen to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9