ARRAY(0xa7692504)

Flandrianfield (UK)

Sibling Grief:Healing After the Death of a Sister or Brother
Sibling Grief:Healing After the Death of a Sister or Brother
Price: 8.04

4.0 out of 5 stars A good point from which to learn more about this complex topic, 28 Oct 2013
Speaking from personal experience of this subject, each sibling death is unique, personal and, as a result, potentially complex as there are many factors that have a bearing on the situation. The book makes this point well, and all credit to the author for exploring this difficult topic and publicising the importance of work in this area.

The unique nature of sibling loss is what can make it so difficult to deal with, especially for the young (look around and see how hard adults find it to deal with their grief over the loss of a sibling). This individuality of experience makes the drawing of universal lessons difficult.

However, the author does a reasonable job of bringing some generally applicable points to the fore. Certainly the book is a good point from which an individual might go on to explore issues that are specific to the loss they have experienced.
Alternatively, the book might prove useful for someone who has not experienced sibling loss themselves, but wants to learn more about it, for example if they know someone who has had such a loss.

One thing to point out, I think some might find the info on the author's website useful as well, as there are signposts to other resources that might prove useful, such as websites, helpful organisations and media such as books and film dealing with this topic.

Painter Man
Painter Man
by Jeff Phelps
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean, concise, well crafted work well worth taking time to read., 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Painter Man (Paperback)
Found this book to be a wonderful read. There is a strong story being told with prose that is carefully crafted. Consequently, I am surprised that there are so few reviews on here of this work.

I think that recommending books can be like recommending places to eat, i.e. to be taken with a pinch of salt (no pun intended). That said, I wholeheartedly endorse Jeff’s work, which deals insightfully and sensitively with themes relating to: the creative process, loss, divorce and children.

The strength of the writing is best illustrated in this way; reading the work prior to retiring for the night, I found myself unable to get to sleep as the passages about (the main character) Malcolm’s creative process were so evocative, they set my mind racing.

Conversely, many of the passages require careful consideration to appreciate the depth and subtlety of the writing. It is difficult to categorise Jeff's style. Having recently read some of Claire Morrall’s work, I felt there were similarities between the authors’ work and I note that she has endorsed Jeff’s book. So, Claire’s work may serve as a useful comparison.

A note of caution, if you came to the book because it is set in the Black Country, you might be a tad disappointed. To me, having lived in the area most of my life, it is not really about the region as such. That said; Jeff paints a good picture (oh, another pun) of the area and those inhabiting it.

All in all, I was bowled over by this work and thus have no reservations about trowelling on praise as thickly as I can.

Draper 31318 Expert Chain Splitter and Riveter Kit
Draper 31318 Expert Chain Splitter and Riveter Kit
Price: 47.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Instructions all important, 24 Jun 2013
Lacking instructions, I searched the internet for advice on use of tool.

This resulted in a bent, unusable faceplate; a broken pin and an unuseable masterlink.

Hat trick! Fantastic, more time off the road. Cue gnashing of teeth and loud swearing.

How much would it have taken to provide, at the very least, a link to a pdf?

Marley [DVD] [2012]
Marley [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Bob Marley
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Item arrived very promptly, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Marley [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Haven't watched the film yet, can only speak for the
efficiency of the service.
Hopefully the film will live up to my expectations.

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
by Stephen Grosz
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a wonderful book, 7 Mar 2013
If, like me, you have an interest in the topic of psychotherapy,
then I am pretty sure you will enjoy this book.

I found the writing clear and concise, my only criticism
is that I finished the book far too quickly and so would
have like to hear more from Stephen.

Rarely do I re-read a book, however, having finished
this, I went straight back and started to go over it again.

Will it Make the Boat Go Faster?: Olympic-winning Strategies for Everyday Success
by Harriet Beveridge
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars The book was delivered speedily (no pun intended), 7 Mar 2013
I started to read this, however, am yet to finish it.

The premise of the work is ok and interesting enough
so I am not sure why it is that it has not engaged me fully.
It might simply be that I have been distracted reading other
material.
Also, I had just finished another book on a similar theme
so it might be that I was just not ready for this tome.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2013 12:16 PM BST

The Drama of Being a Child : The Search for the True Self
The Drama of Being a Child : The Search for the True Self
by Alice Miller
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, not for the faint hearted, 11 Oct 2009
I saw a reference to this book whilst reading another article on similar material and thought I would learn from it.

The author certainly does not pull any punches about how she feels that parental influence can negatively affect a child's emotional development potentially leading to problems in the child's later adult life.

I can understand that some readers may not hold the same strong views as Miller about how children can be emotionally damaged by their parents. However, there will probably be a cross-section of readers for whom the powerful conclusions that Miller draws will provide valuable insight in to some of their own inner world and assist in their personal growth.

If you feel that you fall in to that latter category then I think you will find the book beneficial.

The Study Skills Handbook  (Palgrave Study Skills)
The Study Skills Handbook (Palgrave Study Skills)
by Stella Cottrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great refernce guide to dip into when needed, 11 Oct 2009
I bought this book after picking up a copy in my local library and finding it so helpful that I purchased my own edition. I have recently returned to full-time study (an MSc in Psychology) following a long break and felt I needed some assistance with looking at how to get the best from myself.

It covers pretty much every facet of study, from matters like time manangement to essay construction and preparing presentations. Ok, there are some fields, such as research, that are dealt with in more detail in other specialist works. However, I always find this book a great place to start.

I do some part-time teaching and I recommend this book to my students.

My children are in their teens, and they find the book useful too.

I feel that I cannot praise the work highly enough and I think it is great value for money.

A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
by Bob Roll
Price: 13.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A dog in a hat, 12 Mar 2009
I had taken the opportunity to read a chapter of this book that I had downloaded earlier from the internet and the complete book did not disappoint.
I am a pretty committed cyclist and sports fan and as such, much of the material was familiar to me.
I am not sure how a non-cycling fan would view the book, but what struck me about Joe's story is the courage and sacrifice it took for him to go to another continent and absorb himself in the culture of what in my opinion is one of the hardest (yet most beautiful) of sports.
I particularly enjoyed the explanations about the Flemmish language and community.
In my experience, a lot of sports books, especially those about cycling that are written with the American market in mind, tend to spend a lot of time explaining fairly basic background and that can get in the way of what I consider to be the really interesting material. Joe's book does not do that.
I am not sure what the Flemish equivalent of "Chapeau"! is, but "hat's off" to the author for producing a very readable and real story which I would certainly recommend to any follower of not just cycling, but sport in general.