ARRAY(0xaa93057c)

Profile for Ms. S. M. Richards > Reviews

Content by Ms. S. M. Richards

Ms. S. M. Richards "Efrogwraig" (Sheffield)

Page: 1 | 2
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Rebus)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Rebus)
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 3 Dec 2013
Rebus, Siobhan & Malcolm Fox on the same side. What can go wrong?? Not the writing that's for sure. Rankin as surefooted as ever. Great plotting, great writing. Brilliant read. Buy it!

Critical Mass (The V.I. Warshawski Series)
Critical Mass (The V.I. Warshawski Series)
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars VI is back, 3 Dec 2013
Storming book, she's older but fortunately no wiser. Great read. all our favourite characters are here in a book roaming from Chicago to Vienna & back.

Living With a Willy
Living With a Willy
by Nick Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars For Boys, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Living With a Willy (Paperback)
Bought it for my 11 year old son. I flicked through the book, it appeared to be written in slightly slangey language but was factual and also talked about emotions which I thought was important. My son loved it, and read it in one sitting! I just hope he found it useful!

Sidney Chambers and The Perils of the Night (The Grantchester Mysteries)
Sidney Chambers and The Perils of the Night (The Grantchester Mysteries)
Price: 4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 25 July 2013
Loved this book & it's predecessor. Very rarely do books do clergymen justice, these books do. Sidney is human, likeable & thoughtful. Can't wait for next May for next book!

One Man and His Bike
One Man and His Bike
by Mike Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars when I didn't read it???, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: One Man and His Bike (Paperback)
Bought this book for my brother in law for Christmas. It has nearly caused a divorce. He's in bed at night chuckling over the writing but also armed with maps of Britain so that he can plot the journey. Barely room for my sister & her chick lit as the OS maps cover the duvet. He now wants a bike like Mike's and is talking about ....

So please, can your next book be about "How to cycle to do the weekly shop at Tesco" (other supermarkets are available) or other more useful pursuits so that men of a certain age can be kept in check by their alarmed wives. And please put maps in that book (or detailed directions to supermarkets or shoe shops) so as to cause less bed cluttering. Apart from that, apparently a great book!

NB I bought a copy for my female biking friend who adored it but still just cycles in South Yorkshire as before. Must be a bloke thing...

The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
by Wendy Jones
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely Book!, 4 Mar 2012
It's March and I think I've already read my Book of the Year! Like the other reviewers of this book, I couldn't put it down. I liked that fact that all the characters were dealt with sympathetically - Grace could have been made a villain but she wasn't. Wilfred could have been unkind but wasn't. I will be buying this book for all my friends for birthdays or just becauses all year. Just hope that Ms Jones gets another book out soon.

The Carmarthen Underground
The Carmarthen Underground
by Gaynor Madoc Leonard
Price: 6.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Ardderchog, 12 Jan 2011
I had this book in my Christmas stocking (Dad had seen a review somewhere) What a fab book! I loved it and read it in three sittings ignoring housework, family, meals etc and then immediately posted it to my friend Kim as I knew she'd love it too! (she did & read it in two sittings)

All those familiar but slightly different people and places made me terribly homesick. The incongruence of what was happenning was so appealing. More fun than the Malcolm Pryce books; much more like Jasper Fforde in the sheer fun of ideas. Can't wait for the next book. However, would say that despite having been Mayor of Carmarthen I was never privy to the knowledge of the underground railway. A branch line to Trevaughan would've been very useful on cold rainy nights! Thank you Gaynor fo a cracking read!

At the Loch of the Green Corrie
At the Loch of the Green Corrie
by Andrew Greig
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Fishing, 16 April 2010
I've read everything Andrew Greig has written. I started with the novel "When they lay bare" as I was on holiday in the Scottish Borders and wanted a book to fit. I loved it and sought out his other books. Each one different, each one great. I've Macnabbed, lived through the second world war, golfed around Scotland, armchair climbed in the Himalyayas with Mal Duff and now I have armchair fished in Assynt. I thought this would be the one I couldn't get into. Flyfishing???? A cast too far? But I loved this book too, even the fishing bits but it's so much more. The geology, the poetry, the stories, the personal reflections. He's a Polymath but not a geek. He wears it lightly but there is clear depth. Already recommending it enthusiastically to friends - a bit hard to do "well it's fly fishing & poetry with some geology and reflective stuff" perhaps not a great way to promote it but go get it, savour it; a book giving a link with the past to the old poets of the 30's 40's 50's 60's but bang up to date and modern. Roll on next book!

The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
by Gil McNeil
Price: 9.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Use your eyes, 12 Feb 2010
When I saw there was a new book, I scrolled down to see the blurb for the new episodes. Reading the blurb made me realise it was a re-release of "Divas don't Knit" so I didn't buy it. Not rocket science! As far as I could see, it had been re-titled for the US market. So I for one am not disappointed in Gil McNeill. She is a single parent trying to make a living like the rest of us. Look forward to the real third book though and wish it would hurry up!

Christmas at Thrush Green
Christmas at Thrush Green
by Miss Read

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment at Thrush Green, 8 Oct 2009
This was a book I looked forward to with a passion. Couldn't wait to read it. It arrived. Disappointment. Cloying, not astringent/cerbic in the old Miss Read way. Snobbish, patronising, too much re-iteration. I felt that this cashed in on Miss Read's good name but the ghost writer/editor really was not up to it. Shame that the series has been spoiled in this way. Would not recommend buying, not sure I'd even borrow it from the library.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 11:44 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2