Profile for Naomi Porter > Reviews

Content by Naomi Porter

Naomi Porter "naomipomi" (good old Birmingham!)

The Pilo Family Circus
The Pilo Family Circus
by Will Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant storytelling and dark humour, 9 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Pilo Family Circus (Paperback)
What a fantastic book, I couldn't put it down! Read this if you have a taste for the macabre and do not have an aversion to foul language and violence! Personally I loved it, the characters are dark and funny and the story is totally original. The only thing now is I just want to run away to the circus and be a clown!

Apocalypse Now Redux [DVD] [1979]
Apocalypse Now Redux [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Marlon Brando
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good redux, 9 Oct. 2006
In my opinion this re-working of a classic is absolutely of excellent quality. I throughly enjoyed this version, I didn't think it lacked anything the original had. After all, Francis Ford Coppella wouldn't have released a new un-cut version if he didn't think it was the right thing to do. Apocalypse Now is a fantastic film, and in the end if you watch the original or the redux, you're in for a treat. Enjoy!

Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4)
Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4)
by Garth Nix

5.0 out of 5 stars Nix bumps up the intrigue in Fourth Keys installment!, 9 April 2006
I have heard a lot about Sir Thursday being the 'weakest' book to date in the Keys To The Kingdom series, but after reading it, personally I feel that my faith in the series has been restored! Of course this is only my opinion so do as you will. I thought Wednesday was a bit of a mish mash and I was confused about the overall direction of the series. But in Sir Thursday, Nix hints of some much bigger and darker plot threads (I won't spoil it for you), which makes me very intrigued about what will happen on Friday!! After all, isn't Friday the best day of the week anyway? :)

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori)
Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori)
by Lian Hearn

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnifique, 11 Aug. 2005
Across The Nightingale Floor has a really involving story and a great original concept. . .I really recommend reading it!! Lian Hearn has such a beautiful way of telling a story, I was completely captivated by the story, characters and atmosphere immediatly. . It's really something.

The Supernaturalist
The Supernaturalist
by Eoin Colfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 July 2005
This review is from: The Supernaturalist (Hardcover)
At first I was put off from reading this as it seemed to have a more of a 'children's book' image and also because I thought nothing could top the Artemis Fowl books..However do not be put off if you are a slightly older kid and looking for a really exciting, futuristic fantasy book, because this is such a fun and involving read!! Colfer has this gift of making his readers really identify with the characters he has created, so it's no wonder that so many people want him to write a sequel. The Supernaturalist is so unique, it's perfect for a holiday read so buy it quick ready for your hols, and it's a good change from all the heavy-going adult fiction that doesn't really appeal to me at the mo. You won't be disappointed, The Supernaturalist is perfect for adults and kids alike. :)

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billie Piper
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor is coooool, 6 Jun. 2005
AH man I love Doctor Who, it rocks totally and if this boxset wasn't like a million squillion pounds which I can't afford (student budget here folks come on) I'd buy it straightaway, cos i've missed quite a few of the episodes :(
I think Christopher Eccleston is a wicked Doctor, he's really funny and a tad eccentric, and Billie Piper wins back my respect as lavly assistant Rose..
I never thought I'd like Doctor Who but this is good stuff!!

Horror In The Attic [DVD]
Horror In The Attic [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andras Jones
Offered by Disc-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, 6 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Horror In The Attic [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film on the dubious 'Horror' channel on sky, home to B movies and frankly quite awful films of the horror genre. This film isn't awful though, it's just a tad bizarre. Well it's more than a tad really. It is one of those films where you are left saying 'Huh??' at the end of every scene, and all the way through I couldn't quite work out what was real and what was not! It really messes with your head and I guess that's what the director wants, but I think in this case it's just alllll gone a bit too far. Don't watch this if you don't want a headache.
Good things about this film is Seth Green's appearence, he makes a very good crazy person and is quite intruiging to watch!
Horror In The Attic is far too weird for my liking and is a bit of a mish mash low budget affair, however I did find it interesting in a *wierd* messed up way, so if you like stuff that messes with the ol' head then go for it. If you prefer straightforward boy-meets-girl films though then you will definitly not be feeling this crazy movie!

Deloused in the Comatorium
Deloused in the Comatorium

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good music!!!, 16 Nov. 2003
I don't know anything about this band, all I know is that the album is brilliant!! I bought it because my friend recommended it, and it's definitly a good buy! The songs are unique and different, which is a good change from some of the unorigional rubbish today. Saying that, I had to listen to it a couple of times before I decided I liked it, so give it time. This is a ace album!

Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
by Eoin Colfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Eoin Colfer is brilliant!, 12 May 2003
Ever since I recieved 'Artemis Fowl' for my birthday last year I have become a fan of the world of Artemis and pals, and Eternity Code is no different. Eoin Colfer uses excellent techniques in this book making it an absorbing and exciting adventure!! The book is funny, sad, full of wit and hilarious at times. The characters are well thought out I really identified with them, even Mulch Diggums the clay-eating dwarf!! I HIGHLY recommend this to all you people who love fantasy stories with a twist out there - you will not be dissappointed. This book is wicked!!