Profile for Simon Elmer > Reviews

Content by Simon Elmer

Simon Elmer (London)

Dark Waves
Dark Waves

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the things I like about the narrative is that I've still got no ..., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dark Waves (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in about three sittings, starting late one night when I had to put it down because it was messing with my head. By chapter 10 I still didn't know where the story was taking me, but it had me firmly in its clammy grip. One of the things I like about the narrative is that I've still got no idea about the scientific basis to its very convincing 'explanations' of infrasound. The author has obviously done his research, but I can't tell whether infrasound can actually have the physiological effects his protagonist claims. That sets up a very nice opposition between two conflicting and perhaps incompatible systems of belief, the spiritualist and the scientific. In that sense, the book is also a commentary on our relationship to the scientific explanations of the universe that form the very fabric of our day-to-day existence, but which 99% of us haven't a clue how they work. The slowly unfolding description of the haunted Devon house is very nice, and creates a great sense of space and time. And the pace of the narrative, shifting from slow to very rapid, like a rapidly zooming shot in a horror movie, is brilliantly handled for the maximum accumulation of tension and dread. I'm not usually a fan of novels that are primarily about the plot, mostly because their endings rarely fail to disappoint me, but without giving anything away, this one, while linear in its conclusion, might be read to have three, a mythical, a scientific and a homely, all of which are kept in balance. Or you can chose which one you wish to believe. A really interesting intervention in the genre, and a cracking good read.

Fern: My Story
Fern: My Story
by Fern Britton

5.0 out of 5 stars hugely enjoyable and insightful, 11 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Fern: My Story (Hardcover)
Not a habitual reader of celebrity autobiogaphies, i bought this as a gift and started reading it myself, and couldn't stop! It is a poignant and insightful account of Fern's life in and out of the spotlight, and gives a fascinating picture of life behind the TV screen, and the struggle it took her to get there. In a world fascinated by the media, it's great to get a view from the inside, and a personal understanding of the way it works.

Extremely well written and structured it is really un-put-down-able! highly recommended.