Profile for Amanda Kennedy > Reviews

Content by Amanda Kennedy

Amanda Kennedy "Amanda Kennedy" (Sheffield, UK)

Storyland Cross Stitch: 15 Projects and a Kit for Your Stitching Pleasure (What Delilah Did)
by Sophie Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful cross stitch book, 13 July 2013
I am thrilled to own this delightful cross stitch book by What Delilah Did designer, Sophie Simmons.

It is of excellent quality, a paperback with it's own dust-jacket and even a small kit to stitch one of the designs. The storyland theme is genius - each chart has it's own little story, and the theme draws all of the charts together making me want to stitch them all!

Various projects are suggested for the charts, ranging from simple hoop frames to a pencil case, bag and beautiful cushion. Simpler charts for beginners (or a quickly made gift) are presented at the beginning, followed by intermediate and larger, complicated designs towards the end.

For me, the charts are all of reasonable size to stitch from though I suspect a couple of the larger designs may be a tiny bit small to see easily.

A classic, contemporary book, I'm sure this will appeal to beginning and seasoned stitchers alike. It is a joy to read and own, no doubt I'll be using these beautiful charts for all manner of projects and gifts.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 1:50 PM BST

The Virgin Gardener
The Virgin Gardener
by Laetitia Maklouf

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and utterly inspiring book for the new gardener, 6 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Virgin Gardener (Hardcover)
Being an absolute novice when it comes to gardening, I wanted a book which could teach me the absolute basics, without being patronising and using terminology I can understand. Well, The Virgin Gardener is exactly the book I have been searching for, and so much more!

This is an utterly beautiful and inspiring book, besides the useful instructions for growing various plants (both indoor and outdoor, decorative and functional). It doesn't simply explain how to grow plants, but offers ideas for what you can do with your beautiful flowers and tasty gardening ventures. In this respect, it encourages you to garden far more than any other book I have read: there are reasons to grow certain plants: not simply for beauty, but for wonderful dinner parties, gifts, cookery and home decoration.

The explanations are wonderful: no jargon which (as a truly "virgin" gardener) I could not fathom, and also wonderful to read. There are full color photos and beautiful illustrations throughout making this the pride of any potential gardener's coffee table too!

And although I am a novice, I would expect that there are plenty of ideas in here for even experienced gardeners to feel inspired.