Profile for Rani Shergill > Reviews

Content by Rani Shergill

Rani Shergill

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wrong Side of Town (With Me Series Book 3)
Wrong Side of Town (With Me Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Vincent and Estella's Story!, 5 Dec. 2014
After reading the first two of the 'With Me' series I thought I would give this third one a go. This one is a story about Vincent and Estella. Hadie/Ray from book 2 also feature in it briefly with Hadie still trying to deal with the loss of her love from Book 2. In this book we have Vincent who is part of a gang of brothers called the Madden Gang, more like a Beta character and Estella who has a shocking deep dark secret coming together. Both have big issues. Estella has been abused and Vincent is a gang member who is controlled by his eldest brother.

The first three quarters of the book went well but I did too feel the end was rushed. There were still too many unresolved issues with many of the characters and it was hard for me to believe that Vincent's eldest brother would just let him walk away from the fight and give in to his supposed weakness. More work was needed to tie up all the loose ends. This is the main weakness of this novel. Overall however its a good attempt but I fear Book 1 is still hard to beat.

All I Want For Christmas: A festive short story
All I Want For Christmas: A festive short story

4.0 out of 5 stars A Divorce Hotel! for which couple?, 5 Dec. 2014
A Divorce Hotel is due to open in Ireland and lets hope none of the couples in the three short stories by Claudia Carroll need it once Christmas is finally over.

Lovely short stories with my favourite one being of Jo and Dave. i was really pleasantly surprised by that ending and I found it really touching!

The stories are packed with lots of family tension at Christmas time but end on a high note for the season (I hope!)

The Twits
The Twits

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr and Mrs Twit - the couple who were made for each other!, 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Twits (Kindle Edition)
Mr and Mrs Twit have got to be the worst couple that anyone could ever read about. They are simply gross and they do really nasty things to each other. How they ever became man and wife will always remain a mystery to me but I guess kids don't wonder about things like that.

There are some really memorable bits like the spaghetti made of worms by Mrs Twit for her husband and the rather novel way Mr Twit uses to catch birds for his bird pie and the Twits eventual comeuppance.

Its a short book but perfect length, with alot packed in and I have to say I did really enjoy it.

Mistletoe Mansion
Mistletoe Mansion

5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting, Celebrities and Cupcakes, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mistletoe Mansion (Kindle Edition)
Just finished reading this book and I would say this is a top read for this season. It's amusing, fun and highly entertaining.

The story is about Kimmy who is made homeless following her breakup with boring, play it safe but cuddly Adam. Out on the street she manages to talk her way into house sitting a mansion while the owner tries to sell the place. However there's something the estate agent isn't telling her and why have all the previous house sitters disappeared at short notice? Why isn't the house selling? There's something distinctly fishy going on here but hey there's alot to look forward to including a golf celebrity and his famous Mrs (Beckham eat your heart out) as neighbours and a rather dishy handyman, Luke. Throw in Kimmy's new cupcake business with some rather creative creations and you have a recipe for a really fun and entertaining read.

Well done to Samantha for producing another really great read and just in time for Christmas. Read all her books and looking forward to reading more. Beautiful cover too. It has really put me in the right mood for Xmas with its uplifting story.

James and the Giant Peach
James and the Giant Peach

4.0 out of 5 stars James's adventures on the Peach, 28 Nov. 2014
Initially when i started reading this book to my daughter , I felt really awful at how lonely and sad James was and how horrid Aunt Spikey and Aunt Sponge were. I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry on reading it due to the bullying from the aunts but then the book suddenly takes a lovely turn and James is freed of his horrid aunts and finds some new magical friends and suddenly the story turns interesting. All the characters he meets and travels with on his adventures in the Peach are memorable including : Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, Ms Ladybird and Centipede and the ending was simply heart warming!

Surrounded (Unsettled Book 2)
Surrounded (Unsettled Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars The conclusion to Logan and Brooklyn., 28 Nov. 2014
After the first book, I wasn't sure where this story was going, whether Brooklyn was going to return to her ex Damon or whether Logan and her still had a chance. After the first book my annoyance level with Brooklyn's unreasonable behaviour was quite high and I kept wondering what Logan had ever seen in her. However after reading this book I felt I understood Brooklyn better and how being hurt in the past impacted the way she behaves and how she runs away from issues instead of dealing with them.

I thought the quality of writing with this book was much improved and it flowed pretty smoothly. In the end I really enjoyed this and I think it was a fitting conclusion to the series which at one point in the first book was looking like there might be a third book but I think this is definitely the conclusion.

Logan is what I would call the perfect man that every woman dreams about! :)

The Unquiet Mind (The Greek Village Collection Book 8)
The Unquiet Mind (The Greek Village Collection Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Donkey man and the Nun, 28 Nov. 2014
This story is about two people. Yanni the reclusive shepherd who lives with his elderly parents. Following the loss of Dolly, his donkey in an earlier book he leaves Orino Island and goes to Saros reluctantly to purchase another donkey and to finally meet his childhood friend and love, Sofia who is now in a Nunnery. While there he indulges in drink, is kidnapped due to mistaken identity and gets involved in local politics all while staying with his unworthy and untrustworthy cousin Babbi. His initial naivete and reclusive nature finally gives way to the man he could one day become. Secondly, Sofia who is cruelly sent off to a Nunnery at a young age, plans her return to the island of her birth.

The book is two halves of a story and ends on a hopeful note!

I am finding Sara seems to enjoy writing cliffhanger endings more and more leaving it all to our imagination or until the next book. Also in the Greek Village series we see in each progressive book how rampant development, tourism and a growing expat community impacts the villagers and characters from previous books.

Wonderful book. Hope to read more about Yanni and Sofia and whether they have their Happy Ending!

The Perfect Christmas
The Perfect Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Maggie plays Cupid at Christmas., 24 Nov. 2014
The book started well, Maggie has marital issues with her rather selfish husband Will and to get away from it all she takes her agent Zoe away to London for a break. While staying at the hotel she starts playing Cupid to the hotel manager Jack and Holly who works there leading to its own inevitable conclusion. Unfortunately the ending kind of left me feeling unsatisfied because I felt Holly's own marital issues and Zoe's singleton, workaholic status needed to be dealt with and resolved as they are the main lead characters. I think this book is probably a stepping stone to another one featuring Maggie and Zoe, in which case thats fine but not the Christmas ending I had hoped for.

Scandal: A Regency Historical Romance
Scandal: A Regency Historical Romance

4.0 out of 5 stars A Widow and a Rake!, 24 Nov. 2014
This is the first time I have read Carolyn Jewel, caught this book as a freebie available on Kindle. As far as Regency Novels go this is pretty good, it has a rakishly handsome Earl and a heroine who is naturally suspicious and wary of his attentions, His relentless pursuit of her however leads to an inevitable conclusion but not without Sophie, the heroine making the Earl work hard for her and with lots of competition from other handsome male suitors. Some previous reviews go into quite good details the summary of the plot so I won't repeat here but would say if you like regency novels and don't mind the more explicit intimate scenes then give it a go. If you're a bit of a prude and like your Regency to be completely clean then it's maybe not for you.

I quite enjoyed it. Next time I am in the mood for Regency will look out for Carolyn Jewel.

One Hundred Christmas Proposals
One Hundred Christmas Proposals

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Wintery Christmas themed proposals!, 21 Nov. 2014
This story is a continuation to the first book 'One Hundred Proposals' so if you haven't read that I recommend you do so to understand the background to this story which features the same characters.

In this book Harry and Suzie are together and they can't keep their hands off each other. From the three books I have read so far this is a fairly typical scenario :) Following Suzie's acceptance of Harry's proposal in the last book , it looks to Suzie as if Harry is getting cold feet as he seems to be delaying any wedding plans. He thinks they are fine as they are and its kind of perfect between them. On top of that he is being very secretive and disappearing for periods at a time. Suzie wonders has he gone back to his old ways, is he having an affair? There's also the bombshell news from Jules and Badger which upsets her. Her mother and father arrive and again there are tensions between her mother and everyone else in the book. Will anything go right for Suzie this Christmas and New Year? In the meantime she has the Christmas proposals for her clients to distract her.

Lovely sequel to the One Hundred Proposals.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20