Profile for silversnowstorm > Reviews

Content by silversnowstorm

"silversnowstorm"

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents: (Discworld Novel 28) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Ratastic, 16 Sep 2004
I remember first coming across this book when my little sister received it as a present. Frankly I thought it would be childish, and only turned to it when I had nothing left to read of my own, but how wrong I was. Even as a member of the 'mtv generation' this book had me completely entralled. Pratchett has to be one of the most eloquent and talented writers of out time and I can't believe I left it as late as my teens to discover him.
This book basically folows the escapades of Maurice, the cat, and his troop of intelligent rats (most of which have wonderfully inventive names, e.g Hamnpork, Dangerous Beans and Nourishing). With a couple of humans thrown in (Keith and Malicia) the cast is complete. It all sounds pretty benign, doesn't it? But the book it a lot darker than it first seems and you will be gripped from start to finish.
Personal favourite characters of mine were Malicia, whose loose tongue gets her into more trouble than she can afford, Keith, whose gentle nature prevents the book from becoming over-exciting, and Nourishing, a young and nervous rat who I adored from her first entry.
The plot is clever and entralling, with a great ending. I can only hope that one day I will be able to write as well as Pratchett. He is a wonderful story teller, and really, with The Amazing Maurice, his work is flawless.

Ever After: A Cinderella Story [1998] [DVD]
Ever After: A Cinderella Story [1998] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, 12 Sep 2004
A round of applause to Drew Barrymore please. Once again she will blow you away in this wonderful romance.
The story, as the title says, is based on Cinderella, already a great story. Barrymore plays Danielle, who IS Cinderella. And with Angelica Huston taking the roll of Baroness Rodmilla, the evil step mother, two ugly step-sisters (or not-so-ugly in their case, particularly Megan Dodds' character) and the rather delectable Prince Henry (Dougray Scott) the cast is complete.
We all know the story, so I will not bother repeating it. But there are some surprising twists and turns, with an appearance form Leonardo Di Vinci in the place of a fairy godmother. This film made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me want Danielle and Henry to finally have their happy ending. And when you care about the characters you know a film is good.
Danielle is very much the active protagonist, although hindered by several factors, and creates a new breed of fairytale damsel along with 'Shrek's' Princess Fiona. She can defend herself and, although he does try, Prince Henry's rescue attempts are rarely needed. Angelica Huston is also superb, and her dirty looks could freeze flames.
Barrymore's accent does get a bit wearing by the end of the film, but it does not take away from the overall effect. This effect being that it is a wonderful film which should not be overlooked just because many may think it too sentimental. Don't be deceived.

Shadowmancer
Shadowmancer
by G.P. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Over rated, 12 Sep 2004
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
I picked this book up with great anticipation, as it promised magic, adventure and an evil villain. But oh how I was let down.
To be quite frank I could simply not understand the attraction to this book and how it came to be a 'best seller'. But I am not going to slag this book off and give no justification for my motives.
My main problem with the book was the characters. I found them shallow and under developed and incredibly hard to empathise with. You don't really care whether they fail of succeed. Out of the four heroes I found Jacob Crane to be the most interesting, but only just.
Raphah, one of the young heroes, was easily the most irritating person. He spent a lot of the book preaching and giving long wafty speeches, which is okay once in a while, but after several of them you begin to think 'give me a break'. If this book had been subtlely religious it would have been more bearable, but the religious aspect of it quickly became pretentious.
However, Taylor does harbour some talent when he comes to description of setting, although he could have lavished more of this on the home of the evil villain, where most of the book takes place.
In conclusion, this book is good if you want an easy read, but it will never be truly great as its characters are simply just too unrealistic, or too under developed. So if you have heard good things about Shadowmancer, prepare to be disappointed.