Profile for J > Reviews

Secret Diary of a Camp Counselor
Secret Diary of a Camp Counselor
Price: 4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Really recommend this book!, 4 Jun 2012
I'm not actually planning on being a 'camp counselor' for a while yet, but I wanted to read this book to see if I would actually enjoy the job.
I love the way it is in diary form and is an actual account from Lucy's time there.
I bought it at about 11pm last night and only put it down at 3am to get some sleep. Between that time I had some genuine LOLs and produced so many tears I actually had to put it down for 10 minutes to pull myself together. Then I finished it at around 12pm this afternoon, it was just so addictive. It's full of so many shocks and laughs and genuinely some really interesting things about what goes on at camp.
Actually might read it again I enjoyed it so much. You actually feel like you're there with her and the book gives you an account of how you will actually be spending your days at camp.
I think I would have actually given this 4.5 stars, I think it is a bit on the expensive side and I would have liked an account or small chapter at the end of the book on what Lucy thought about everything she did, did she keep in touch with everyone, what her travelling afterwards was like, etc.
On the whole though, this has definitely made my mind up that I want to go when I have got the money!
Definitely read if you are going to be a camp counselor.

A Home For Christmas (The Angel Ridge Series)
A Home For Christmas (The Angel Ridge Series)
Price: 4.41

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent free read., 30 Dec 2011
I downloaded this book a month or so ago when it was free and I have only just got round to reading it.
I found the book quite gripping, I did want to know what was going to happen next, but I just found it so unrealistic. I actually found myself at parts going "Oh Jeeeesus", I have just never known a character of a woman be so ridiculous.
The ending was also extremely rushed and there were just parts of the book I found myself skimming through, there was no need for some parts of the story. & I found the character of the uncle just wasn't described very well and he was the third main character.
It is a quite a good book if you like a good romance story, but only a good read if you don't pay anything. I'd have been extremely annoyed if I paid for it.

New Kindle Purple SD Folio Case Cover Pouch , All - New Latest Generation 2011 Release Amazon Kindle 6" inch Wi-Fi, from G-HUB
Offered by OGADGETHUB
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for a better case!, 28 Dec 2011
This case is fabulous, I absolutely love it!
The colour is gorgeous, it's not an 'in your face' purple, which I was worried about. It feels great too, it doesn't have that horrible feel to it like some faux leather products do.
No loose stitching, holds Kindle in place well and keeps it perfectly protected, it is a little padded so will protect from small falls.
The free light is fab, do not know why people are complaining that it is bulky, it is perfectly fine. It was a free product, it's not going to be 20 quality some expect.
I was worried about the flap bit getting in the way, but you can fold the case back on itself and clip it together.
So happy I got this case, I was no where near going to pay 50 for the actual Kindle one!
May buy it in another colour too.
(I have added some pictures)

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it - just a few minors., 26 Dec 2011
I received this for Christmas, like many others, so I have not had chance to probably see it all.
However, I am so far absolutely loving it, I was worried I would not like it because I enjoy the hold of a 'real' book, but I soon forgot about this and was reading my ebook for a good hour until I got dragged away from it - all the family are hogging it from me in all honesty!
The print is great, practically like a real book and real paper and you can change how you read - text size, portrait/landscape, spacing between words etc. Fab, great for when elders will be borrowing it!
It is extremely small, will very easily fit in a normal sized handbag, even with one of the cases.

There are only a few minors -
1. I have found with some books you cannot see whereabouts you are in a chapter, this is extremely frustrating as I like to know how many pages I have left. I know you can view what page number you are on and some ebooks have markers where the next chapter is, but all but one of the books I have downloaded do not have these markers.
2. It is extremely overpriced. I would not have paid 89 myself for it, which is why I asked for it as a present, I would probably pay max 50. This is because it just does not seem very 'modern', if you could put it that way, I really can't put into words what I mean. To me, it seems like it was made a very long time ago, not recently.
3. I happen to lean on the page turners quite a lot, as they are on eiher side of the Kindle, but I think I will get used to how I have to hold it and it will happen less frequently.
4. This isn't a criticism of the product, but the system. You have to be careful when buying some ebooks. Some are actually more expensive than the actual book themselves. I would rather buy the actual book if it was cheaper, however, this comes down to preference.

All in all, VERY pleased, so happy with it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 6:57 PM GMT

The Sims 3: Pets Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
The Sims 3: Pets Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
Price: 17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as I expected., 31 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
To be honest, I did no even know what I was doing when I bought this. I really wanted to play it at the time, so I just very quickly ordered it, without even realising what I was doing! (Tad silly of me, as 24 is a lot of money for me to spend). So I was a bit panicky about this game, on whether I had wasted my money or not.

The first thing I did when I got my game was add a cat to my household through the adopt pet from shelter (you can also adopt pet from neighbourhood) which was very easy to do so, you choose the pet you would like (and when your pet comes, you can customise its fur if you do not like the look of it) and it arrives very quickly. However, I soon got quite bored of having a cat, which I wanted most.

So then, I made a new household with a horse, in the new town (I love the new town that comes with the game, it has a lovely country feeling to it). And I did not expect myself to enjoy having a horse so much, I love it! You can build their riding and jumping skills, ride them round the town and breed them, which annoyed me a bit because the foal was so annoying. But there is not much for the horse to do if the sim is not interacting with them, they have a ball to play with and a salt lick, which is a tad boring.

I have only just started playing with a dog and it is quite fun! You can teach it tricks, take it on walks (the downside of this, is that you can only take it on a walk to a community lot and not a specific place of your choice, I think anyway), teach it to hunt and a few other things!

I thought it was a bit of a pain that the animals could only have 3 traits, but soon figured that they can acquire many more as the game gets played.

There are a few more items of clothing, not fabulous, but there are designed around country/cowboy type things.

No new jobs, unless you count winning money from horse races as one.

I really do recommend this game if you have the money to spend on it (I personally would have liked to have waited til it went down to about 19). However, I personally think there were no surprises in all honesty, when I buy an expansion pack, I like to come across something that I would think, "omg this is so cool, I would not have expected this!", but there was nothing like that really, there were no big 'shocks' or 'surprises' if you would call them that.

That is why I give this 4/5!

The Sims 3: Generations (PC/Mac DVD)
The Sims 3: Generations (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by clickforgamesltd
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Still discovering things.., 1 July 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Well I was very wary of buying this because I'm pretty skint at the moment and I didn't want to waste my money.
It is very fun some of the things you can do and the game does make The Sims 3 much more realistic, with the use of teenagers having mood swings, field trips, driving lessons, etc etc.
I absolutely love the new items that come with the game, I have forever wanted the bunk beds and the video camera is very fun to use.
I've not come across everything yet, not had any imaginary friends to deal with or midlife crisis'.
The game was quick and easy to install, no problems yet.
I'd only suggest buying this game if you're really into 'family things', like staying with one family for a long time.

Overall = I do find it very fun and some things do make me laugh, however, I would have liked to see a bit more with it.