Profile for Mr. A. M. Mills > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. M. Mills

Mr. A. M. Mills "Captain Andypops" (Staffs, UK)

The Linux Command Line Beginner's Guide
The Linux Command Line Beginner's Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book by it's cover... except this one., 4 Feb. 2014
I purchased this book because, well, there's a woman on the cover. And I figure, if a woman can understand Linux, with all those commands you have to learn, I sure can.

Boy was I wrong. This book is exclusively aimed at the female market. The pink cursive text is virtually impossible to read, and the frequent comparisons to various cooking techniques to describe simple tasks in Linux only added to my confusion.

Perhaps a lumberjack edition book could be released as well?

OpenGL: A Primer
OpenGL: A Primer
by Edward Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Code Without It, 18 Dec. 2008
This review is from: OpenGL: A Primer (Paperback)
This book is by far the best quick reference for the OpenGL API. It's short, straight to the point, and avoids the usual bs you get with most reference books. Yes, there are a few spelling mistakes etc. in the code, but I've come to expect that in every programming book I read.

My only objection is that it doesn't delve into the really nitty gritty stuff; although there are other books out there which do this.

If you're interested in any kind of graphics or games programming, buy this! It'll be your friend for life.