Profile for K. Lye > Reviews

Content by K. Lye

K. Lye "Time Lady Kathy" (Caerphilly)

Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol. 3 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol. 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 5 Oct. 2007
Without a doubt the finest sequence of episodes since the wonderful Doctor returned to our screens. In fact, 'Human Nature' and 'Family of Blood' are amongst my all time favourite Doctor Who episodes EVER.

David Tennant was given a script worthy of his acting talents and he rose to the occasion admirably, blowing away any previous performance in the role. John Smith was so different from the Doctor and yet, hiding behind his eyes, was the Time Lord we all know and love - a superb portrayal with nuances you only catch on a second or third viewing. Freema was equally wonderful, showing Martha at her best - loving, caring, strong and intelligent. I won't go into all the supporting cast performances - suffice to say, they were just as wonderful as the two main actors. This two-parter made me yearn for more novel adaptations - it broke my heart and I cried like a child. British TV at its finest.

'Blink' also broke the usual Doctor Who mould. I was worried after last season's appalling Doctor-light episode, but this one came through with style. Sally Sparrow - what a star! Why is she not the new companion? This episode had all the elements we love about DW - it scared us, it made us laugh, it got us thinking and I for one was shouting at the TV at one point. A great episode that managed to keep up the high standards set by the previous two.

If you are going to buy just one DVD of new Who, buy this one.