Profile for Neil Stansbury > Reviews

Content by Neil Stansbury

Neil Stansbury (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Reebok Studio Kettlebell - Blue, 16 Kg (Old Version)
Reebok Studio Kettlebell - Blue, 16 Kg (Old Version)
Offered by Gray Fox Europe

1.0 out of 5 stars Fashion Accessories Only!, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Reebok Studio Kettlebell (Sports)
These bells are utterly utterly horrible pieces of kit!!

They've been designed by people who obviously know absolutely nothing about kettlebells or how to use them.

I've just been forced to waste 45 minutes of my life using these as my usual Wolversons weren't available.

1) The handles are all different sizes based on the weight, so your grip changes for each weight.

2) The handles are painted in a lovely greasy paint that means you are constantly worrying about losing your grip with them flying off into the mirror or some unfortunate bystander.

3) The handles are very badly made - not smooth at all - one session and I've come away with massive callouses that I never get normally - look at the product pics.

4) The horrible vinyl that is obviously there to disguise the poor quality; is actually so thick and so far around the handle it stops you holding them inverted properly, and even makes things like goblet squats tricky.

5) The entire shape of the ball & handle is just plain wrong, especially so that when you press them your forearm doesn't sit correctly between the bell & handle, so it's uncomfortable and will give you bruises if not done very accurately.

There really is nothing good to say about them. These are basically nothing more than a fitness fashion accessory, if you really want to learn/use kettlebells properly - do not buy these!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 3:52 PM BST

Gold Venetian Half Face Masquerade Ball Masks
Gold Venetian Half Face Masquerade Ball Masks
Offered by bestyoucanget

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong product - rubbish quality, 12 April 2013
Chipped colouring, sharp and poorly cut edges. What I got looks nothing like the picture when I purchased. Ironically they've also changed the picture since I ordered - and neither does the current picture look anything like what I have been delivered!

Caveat emptor.

Pure Gear Extreme 02-001-01174 PX360 Phone Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S Black
Pure Gear Extreme 02-001-01174 PX360 Phone Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A spectacular case, 29 Jan. 2013
I spent 4 months traveling in the Himalayas and Asia with this case on my iPhone and it beats every other case (especially something like the Griffin) by absolutely miles. The only disadvantage for me was access to the SIM slot for swapping in foreign SIMs.

I also managed to fit a tempered glass screen protector from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007798N7Y/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00 which provided the complete finish.

I has a unique look and generated lots of positive comments, the lanyard holder is extremely useful, and the surface is smooth so provides easy access to the phone unlike the rubbery and sticky cases like the Griffin. The size is great - even with the lanyard attachment, it is extremely well made and feels great in the hand.

I have a few very minor criticisms, but I'd just be nit picking.

Highly recommended!

High Quality 44L Cabin Approved Backpack Cabin Flight Bag Holdall Case Rucksack Ryanair Hand Luggage with Packing Straps (RED) Size: 55x40x20 cm
Offered by laZook

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 15 Sept. 2012
A very well made, well designed rucksack with loads of space.

It has a padded front outer pocket that is big enough for a 13" laptop, a larger outer pocket shown open in the photos, with a few slots inside that, and the main compartment seems robustly made with a pair of packing straps.

The straps themselves appear strong and well padded, with an air gap on the back.

One of the best features are the two handles on the side and top of the bag, makes picking it up much easier.

I'm taking this trekking with me, and could use as a day sack too, being able to pack so much into carry on luggage will be great.

Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by total digital stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish!, 7 Sept. 2012
Military grade? If this garbage is the standard of kit issued to the military, then god help them.

This is cheap, poor quality, badly designed rubbish. This will product will be lovingly stored in exactly the same place the packaging was - the bin.

I wanted a Taktik, but wasn't going to get delivery in time before going trekking in the Himalayas, so wanted a tough stop gap case in the meantime. Lifeproof was too expensive for a temporary case, so I settled on this after so many 5* reviews.

1. The outer is made of sticky silicone rubber, which makes it annoying and tricky to slide in and out - of certainly my ordinary jeans pocket. If you wear a natty shiny shell suit on a daily basis then YMMV.

2. The ports slots are poorly cut into the silicone outer. They pop out periodically when in your pocket, making it even harder to get it out. Annoyingly they also pivot towards the phone face rather than away from it, which make inserting cables/operating the device whilst it faces you harder.

3. The mute slider is almost inoperable, thanks to the badly cut slot and expect the volume to adjust itself as you battle with the case in your pocket because they protrude beautifully.

4. The polycarbonate inner shell fits the phone itself well - as one would hope, but the inner shell port slots, insert into the outer rubber shell to help form those badly made port slots. This wonderfully well designed feature ensures that should your case hit the ground on a port the impact will be very effectively transferred to the phone itself.

5. The "screen protector" isn't really anything more than some flimsy high gloss transparent plastic. It does do a great job of reflecting sunlight making it very hard to read outside, as well as significantly changing the colour gamut of the screen.

6. The camera protector doesn't stay put and you'll suddenly wonder why the camera app just shows black as the badly designed (notice a theme here?) slot pops back in front of the camera.

7. I of course have left the juiciest, most annoyingly stupid flaw to last. That the home button protrudes and voice dial activates in you pocket. Having apologised to the 6 people the Griffin called at 3am one Friday night, I disabled voice dialling. I was then intrigued to discover strains of Michael Jackson emanating from the fresh meat counter in my local supermarket. Voice dialling may well be disabled as it handily tells you, "voice Control" most certainly isn't.

I am not going to bother cutting the home button up to fix flaw 7), this product is a unique piece of garbage overall and deserves nothing less than the waste incinerator, swiftly followed with the people that design & sell this kind of abject rubbish if I had my way ;-)

I have now settled on & just ordered a PureGear PX360: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Gear-PX360-Extreme-Kickstand-iPhone/dp/B007FDKAHS

In part as a result of reviews at Amazon.com & YouTube:

[...]

The video review appears to show it a well designed and thought out product, and the lanyard attachment IMO makes this a winner.... hopefully. At this rate I should have just bought a Lifeproof in the first place......

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 inch Tablet (16GB, WIFI, GPS, Android 3.2) - Light Silver
Offered by TODO! TODO!

1.0 out of 5 stars Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, 15 Mar. 2012
I was so looking forward to this device I had it on pre-order. This was going to be my perfect size, light weight, great screen and allow me to escape from the clutches of Apple, iTunes and their app policy, and finally relegate my iPhone 4 to "just a phone".

After using for 2 months now this fails in almost every single regard, in fact this demonstrates how little Samsung test their products before releasing them, there are so many fundamental flaws with this device I'll probably miss some but here goes...

1. Yes the screen is gorgeous, and the device very light. The back is so slippery you'll find it easily slipping out of your hands, in fact the small raised "Samsung" logo is the only thing to grip on to.

2. The VERY obvious (Samsung are you listening?) way to hold & use this device is in landscape mode. Samsung "engineers" thoughtfully placed:

a) The headphone jack almost dead centre in the short edge so as to ensure it is as awkward and annoying as possible to hold when watching films in landscape mode with headphones in.
b) The power and volume rockers are on the far left long edge and next to each other almost sized identically. This ensures two wonderful features a) You'll naturally hold your tab in one hand and hit the power button or adjust the volume - totally annoying mid film/music as you magically find you device switching off or blowing off your ear drums b) You'll go to adjust the volume whilst watching something and hit the power button instead - again switching your device off... Grrrrr.

Frankly both are asinine design choices and should have been flagged in any basic usability testing. Samsung - there really is a reason the iPhone headphone jack, power and volume controls are where they are.

3. Don't believe the rumours you hear about the battery life. Mine lives permanently in "Airplane Mode" otherwise it's dead even unused within a day. Use it and switch it off is the only viable solution.

4. The Samsung cr@pware installed is staggering both in it's complete and utter uselessness, and it's total inability to uninstall any of it (Pulse News anyone? Anyone?). A key reason I didn't buy an iPad, but apparently it still isn't my device to get rid of their rubbish as uninstall is all blocked.

5. The Samsung "TouchWiz" is mostly useless eye candy and adds somewhere between zero and no value whatsoever. It does ensure the GMail app falls over at least twice a day, and for web browsers to mysteriously crash regularly.

6. Android 3 is frankly a disgrace. How any of this this ever left QA on a tablet is beyond me. Don't even get me started on the utterly awful keyboards installed - either Android (English) or the Samsung. Using either for sentences longer than 3 words makes you want to beat the Samsung engineers round the head with it. There is no auto-correct and the key placement is by a 4 year old. Typing the word "I'm" on my iPhone takes two keys presses (for 3 characters) typing "I'm" on this device takes 6 keys presses!!!!!

7) I can't emphasise this enough, text entry is so painful I send email from my iPhone because of even basic text selection and the keyboard.

The long and the short of it is this....

1) The screen is gorgeous.
2) The size and weight is perfect.
3) The power/volume and headphone sockets positioning are intensely annoying and always will be.
4) The total fail is their Android implementation which ruins an otherwise 3/5 device.
5) This device is not enjoyable to use - it is frustrating and annoying at every turn.

Incidently, the web browsers on Android 3 are staggeringly bad, but last week's release of Mozilla Auora (Firefox 12) is a delight, fast and furious and very useable. No Chrome on A3 so get this if you are using it.

My advice: Avoid this device like the plague until Ice Cream Sandwich become available. Then get ICS on it, root the device and get the Samsung cr@pware off ASAP. If that doesn't work there'll be a second hand one going up on eBay.... because frankly if this is their best effort I may as well buy an iPad.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2013 1:30 PM BST

Ampro Leather Versa Grips Large
Ampro Leather Versa Grips Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 9 May 2011
I wasn't sure I was going to get on with these, but I added 10kg to my deadlifts immediately!

Normally by the final set on pull downs and deadlifts I'm focusing on my grip not the exercise - not any more!

They are well padded and are very comfortable, and work equally well for push or pull exercises.

I should add I have never used straps so this is a straight swap for my normal gloves.

My sole criticism - and the reason for 4 rather than 5 stars, is that the entire strap is (very well stiched) leather, but it does make the palm of my hands sweat, it would be nice if the palm area was more absorbent.

I might try purchasing a pair of the original Versa Gripps from the States and see how they compare, but these are undoubtedly very well made and definately work - I won't be returning to gloves!

iGadgitz Neoprene Sports Gym Jogging Armband for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Black
iGadgitz Neoprene Sports Gym Jogging Armband for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by iGadgitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful for the gym, 9 May 2011
1. The case itself is so tight fitting. You have to take your phone out of its ordinary case first - even if it's one of the slim ones.

2. The strap is far too short. Even as a guy I don't have massive arms, but I can barely get the strap around my bicep, and it becomes much too tight during workouts.

3. The elastic cable tie is far too tight and is unusable. I end up looping the earphone cable around the unit to control the length.

4. The volume icons are the wrong way up (seriously!) - the opposite way they are pictured in the product!

Basically, this might work for long duration single activites, but it is awful for the gym, where I at least, want to slip my phone as simply as possible into an "armband", and adjust the length cable between different exercises. This thing quickly becomes annoying.

I guess the fact that this is called a "jogging armband" should have given it away - I didn't think it would be that literal!

Joby Gorillapod Original - Black
Joby Gorillapod Original - Black
Offered by fotoSENSE_Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless gimmick, 4 Oct. 2010
I bought this little tripod as an addition to my existing flexible mini for wrapping round trees and lamp posts in urban shooting with my compact.

The reality is though the reason you use usually want a tripod is for shooting long exposures and every shot I used the Gorillapod for is blurred, because it just doesn't hold the camera steady.

In some cases it actually moves the camera because of tension in the joints. In other cases like a portrait shot just doesn't support the camera adequately.

I wish I'd never heard about this product - I lost two potentially wonderful waterfall shots because of Gorrilapod blur, one on a rock and one wrapped around a tree root, both were using 0.5" exposures and both were blurred. I swapped back to my usual flexible mini tripod and got the shot but by then too late - the light had changed.

Don't waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2010 7:50 PM GMT

TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 31 July 2009
1. The USB cable is short and very stiff, if you move the cable the camera moves or worse tips over.

2. There is no way of fixing the camera to the desk/computer - even a velcro fastener would have been more useful, especially considering above.

3. The "tilt" mechanism makes the camera even more unstable and prone to falling over. The "tilt clamp" should have been designed to grip a shelf or the top of the computer screen unfortunately it wasn't and so is of little use.

4. The image quality is more than resonable, though it does struggle with contrast extremes. I had a window just offset behind me, even with the blinds pulled I was very dark.

The unit is annoyingly badly designed and odd looking, but at £9.99 what can you say other than it is very cheap, and you shouldn't expect too much.

Would I buy another - no definately not.
Would I recommend it to someone - no, unless it's for your kids to use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3