Profile for Fred Hannah > Reviews

Happy-Go-Lucky [DVD] [2008]
Happy-Go-Lucky [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Sally Hawkins

1.0 out of 5 stars top ten worst films EVER!!!!!, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Happy-Go-Lucky [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is just awful.

Why?

Unrealistic main character - yes, Poppy is the most annoying film protagonist EVER. And who would employ this infantile moron as a primary teacher???? Aaaargh!!! She is pathetic, stupid, loud, annoying, rude etc... But ML must think this is quirky and funny. It's not.

Cliched story - emotionally crippled people can be "fixed" with a cuddle and a joke from a happy person. The secret to enjoying life is to be upbeat all the time, like Poppy (trust me, the world would be better off if it fed Polly loads of rat poison). Working class people are one-dimensional and stupid and easily pleased (Oh Mr Leigh stop being silly and climb down from the ivory tower you've built).

... I was going to write loads in a ranting fashion but I can't be bothered - I wasted 2 hours of my Friday night watching this trash (mouth open in horror) so I'm not wasting any more of my life here.

Trust me, AVOID.

It's worse than Showgirls. Honest.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2010 2:25 PM GMT

Lost in Juarez
Lost in Juarez
by Douglas Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: Lost in Juarez (Paperback)
What a read! Great characters. Great story. Great ending.

DL, as with his other books, produces a rip-roaring narrative that blasts along - continually having digs at all that is wrong in contemporary society (politics, pop culture, relationships, etc).

Thoroughly enjoyable. Kept me up way past my bedtime in order to finish it.

Hot Fuzz [DVD]
Hot Fuzz [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by The Happy Zombie

1.0 out of 5 stars time machine needed, 31 Oct 2008
This review is from: Hot Fuzz [DVD] (DVD)
I wasted 2 hours of my life on this drivel. Can someone invent a time machine so I can go back and make the decision NOT to watch it?

Crap script. Crap 'jokes' (some repeated from SOTD - but I suppose that is meant to be ironic/postmodern, but still unfunny). Crap acting. Too long (by about 110 minutes). Just rotten really.

Silly schoolboys will laugh at this cos they think it makes them hip - or because they are scared not to.

Pegg & co. can go - time is up for their unfunny 'comedy'.

In the Mood for Love [2000] [DVD]
In the Mood for Love [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Chiu Wai Leung
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars 94 minutes of tedium, 20 Mar 2008
I get that it's meant to portray longing, unfulfilled desire, unrequited love and so on, but it is bloody dull. I know it is well made and the editing is excellent, but it is bloody dull. I understand that it messes with Classic Hollywood Narrative and offers a new way of looking at story-telling, but it is bloody dull.

DULL. DULL. DULL.

And pretentious.

A waste of time, really. Watch Pillow Talk instead.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2011 6:45 PM GMT

A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara)
by Michele Giuttari

1.0 out of 5 stars poor stuff, 11 Mar 2008
A dreadful book. Dialogue to make you weep with despair. How the hell did this get published? Avoid.

Mystic River [2003] [DVD]
Mystic River [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Penn
Offered by rsdvd

1.0 out of 5 stars totally minging - NO STARS, 15 April 2005
This review is from: Mystic River [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
Hugely over-plotted and over-acted. Full of cliches. Slow. Predictable. Annoying.
I only stayed in the cinema to finish the nachos and popcorn.
AVOID.