Profile for Peter J. H. Sharman > Reviews

Content by Peter J. H. Sh...

Peter J. H. Sharman (Welshpool UK)

Page: 1 | 2
history of English Words (The Language Library)
history of English Words (The Language Library)
by Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars A "dip into" book, for those partial to long dips., 5 April 2010
This must be one of the best linguistics books I have read. You probably won't keep it on your bedside table, but it won't be far away from your writing desk or reading chair. Well written in what I would call plain good English, which made it easy to follow the threads. Makes you think, and I've one or two questions I'd like to ask Geoffrey Hughes given the opportunity. I won't get the opportunity so I'll make do with putting those questions to others and listening to as many different answers as there are people to ask. Good value for money.

Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
by Lewis Wolpert

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes You Think - Keep an Asprin Handy, 5 April 2010
Lewis Wolpert really makes you think with this one. Once you get stuck in it's hard to put down as Lewis puts forward most convincing arguments on a number of topics all of which relate to "cause and effect". Took me just a little longer to read than I would have expected simply because of the number of paragraphs where I reached the full stop and then decided, "I think I'd better read that again". When I reached the last full stop at the end of the last paragraphe of the last chapter, I turned back to page one and started again. Yes, it is that good!

Longridge Bag Umbrella
Longridge Bag Umbrella

1.0 out of 5 stars Depends on how you define OK, 15 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Longridge Bag Umbrella (Sports)
Looked good, and in theory should have "done good" too, but it depends entirely on the angle at which your golf bag sits in the trolley. The top part of the arm should have been made to flex and stay in that position. In practice it remained at an angle of 45 degrees allowing the rain to get into the top front half of the bag, and a gust of wind simply blew it out of the bag. Frankly somewhat disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2