Profile for LiveAndLearn > Reviews

Content by LiveAndLearn

LiveAndLearn

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
An Invitation to Scandal: Book 1 (The Sins & Scandals Series)
An Invitation to Scandal: Book 1 (The Sins & Scandals Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 5 Dec 2014
Nicely written with a very lifelike characters. Nice plot with with a little humour. As little repetition, but we'll worth a read.

SIMCOM SIM900 Quad-band GSM GPRS Shield Development Board for Arduino/Iduino
SIMCOM SIM900 Quad-band GSM GPRS Shield Development Board for Arduino/Iduino
Offered by Stephen2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Item didn't work, and no refund, 7 July 2014
Just couldn't get this to connect to my mobile network. Tried 2 Sims, both with the same problem. Had reasonable help from their online blog, but when they couldn't suggest any further ideas to try, they were not forthcoming with a refund. I am in the process of raising a case to get the money back. A real shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 9:54 AM BST

Make Your Own Angel Ornaments (Klutz)
Make Your Own Angel Ornaments (Klutz)
by editors of Klutz
Edition: Misc. Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent results - a great buy, 11 Jan 2012
Another successful Santa purchase!

The kits have numerous elements to allow mix-and-match fairies. There are instructions that are easy to follow and enable you to create so really great looking pre-designed fairies. These are ideal for hanging from a tree or even turned into a great ceiling mobile!

However, it did need some serious parent help. My Daughter is 8 and although she perhaps could have struggled through, she required quite a lot of hand-holding to create the dolls.

That being said. the end results are great and the fairies are now being played with frequently!!

We don't regret this purchase at all.

Philex 27990R Wireless Remote Control Extender
Philex 27990R Wireless Remote Control Extender
Offered by Electromart-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Working in 2 minutes flat!, 11 Jan 2012
This is great. I've had other IR senders in the past that have disappointed due to inconsistencies in sending messages or the fact that you have to angle the transmitter to be just in front of the device you're trying to control. Not easy in a compact cupboard.

However, this one is great. The visible receiver is smaller than it appears in the photos and it not noticeable when placed next to my TV (although it would have been nicer to be black rather than the dated silver).

The transmitter has a cable with 3 separate transmitters attached. This was ideal for me and I draped this cable in front of the devices I want to control in my cupboard. One thing to note is that because it is one IR transmitter cable and not 3 separate ones, the devices do need to be close to one another (eg in a vertical line on a shelf). Distributed appliances might struggle here.

Once put in place I simply plugged in and it just worked. I'd recommend this if you're after an IR sender.

John Adams Pretty Pebbles Kit
John Adams Pretty Pebbles Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars No lasting appeal, much better kits out there, 11 Jan 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter received this kit for xmas from Santa. From the packaging it looked promising, however, I'm afraid I have to go against the recent trend in reviews.

My daughter is 8 and found that the simplicity of this kit and the quality of the 'pebbles' produced resulted in a 20 minute play after which they were left to gather dust.

The pebbles are plastic and non uniform. Basically, half the kit is simply sticking a picture onto the bottom of these plastic pebbles and the other half is the option when you can paint your own design (difficult to get anything of real quality considering the size of the 'canvas'.

Although this kit is not expensive and expectations were not that high, I've got to say, we were all a bit disappointed with what this had to offer.

I'd recommend spending your cash on something else (egt the Klutz kits for about the same price)

10x REUSEABLE PLASTIC MOUSE TRAPS/SNAPPER PEST CONTROL
10x REUSEABLE PLASTIC MOUSE TRAPS/SNAPPER PEST CONTROL

1.0 out of 5 stars These perhaps gave our mouse a brief scare..., 7 Dec 2011
Mmmm. My first mouse-trap purchase was not a successful one...

I bought this thinking they seemed good value considering the number you get. However, they just dont work.

I was woken by a loud thumping in my ceiling the next night, so which I can only guess was a mouse shaking the trap off. I later looked for the trap which had moved some distance, had lost its bait, but had caught nothing.

Over the course of a week, several traps had been set off, but not a single mouse.

I just dont think these are strong enough to finish the mouse off (sorry, I know it sounds grim!), and the mice can escape too easily. There are better traps out there, please save yourself some money avoid this one.

Dress-Up Your Own Paper Pups (Klutz Chicken Socks)
Dress-Up Your Own Paper Pups (Klutz Chicken Socks)
by Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as similar items available, 7 Dec 2011
We purchased this as a present for a 7 year-olds birthday party having recently bought some of the original "Klutz" series. We had read this as being the same sort of thing.

The first problem was that in fact there wasn't anything to make and the dog is a 2D stiff cardboard/plastic version... So instead of getting a kit to make, this is simply a dressing-up-a-dog kit.

However, having said that, it seems this toy has proved very popular with the recipent and as all the clothes and dog fit snugly into the included bag, it does make it very transportable - To the extent that the girl voted this as her top present!!

We don't understand it, but it seems popular with ~7 year-olds, hence us putting an extra couple of stars on the review...

We still recommend the other Klutz books in favour of this toy though.

Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack
Procter Pest-Stop Sure-set Plastic Mousetrap Twinpack

5.0 out of 5 stars This trap + peanut butter - lethal combination, 25 Nov 2011
Following a rogue hole in our outer wall during some building work, combined with a sudden cold spell, we found ourselves providing a convenient mouse-house complete with a lot of scurrying in our wall/ceiling cavities at night.

I paid for someone to come round and lay poison which seemed to have no effect other than to clear me of 45 pounds for each visit.

Finally I took the matter into my own hands and bought this trap, along with some Tesco value peanut butter!

I added the peanut butter and set my traps. The traps were filled the first night I set them. The mice were dead, but no sign of blood (which is a plus!). This made for easy disposal and re-setting. Within a week, I'd cleared my mouse problem.

For the money you cannot go wrong with these. I wish I'd started with them from the offset.

KRE-O Transformers Sideswipe Toy
KRE-O Transformers Sideswipe Toy
Offered by Megabrokers

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun to build, but less to play with, 23 Nov 2011
My son is an avid transformers collector and a new range of transformer-like toys caught his attention just prior to his birthday.

First impressions are that there are a huge number of pieces considering the size of the car/robot. My son is fortunately also a keen builder of some reasonably complex lego, so this did not put him off. However, the instructions and the pictures were not as clear as they could be and as such, there were many requests for help from Mum and Dad.

Once final made, the models look good, however, they are quite unstable. For example, I would have imagined the car at least would have been stable enough to push around, but because of the intricacy, bits tend to fall of. The chassis also tends to come apart (which is quite key to being a successful Autobot I'd imagine!)

The models do look good and my son is happy with it, but I feel unlike his other transformer toys, this one will be confined to a shelf.

Good fun, educational to build, but not long lasting appeal.

KRE-O Transformers Megatron Toy
KRE-O Transformers Megatron Toy
Offered by bubble n squeak

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun to build, but less to play with, 23 Nov 2011

Good fun, educational to build, but not long lasting appeal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 4:22 AM GMT