Profile for Mr. P. D. Mckee > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. D. Mckee

Mr. P. D. Mckee "paulmckee" (Emsworth, Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Awareness
Awareness
by Anthony De Mello

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous little work, 23 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Awareness (Paperback)
I must have read this book at least 5 times now. Like one of the other reviewers, I am also a student of A Course in Miracles and rely on this for my mainstream spiritual guidance, however "Awareness" is simple and straight to the point and I find it complementary to ACIM.
When you fully realise that love is not placing any demands upon anyone or anything and that you can't be hurt by what anyone thinks of you, then you wil;l be starting to get there. This book is a pointer to that way.

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
by Christopher Hitchens

1.0 out of 5 stars Crude and Cheap, 3 Mar. 2009
The play on words used as the title of this book about says it all. Christopher Hitchens is a well known anti-theist and uses every opportunity that he can to capitalize on his views, not for the common good, but for his own wellbeing!
Christopher, please try to lift yourself a little and get in touch with your real self (if you can open your mind for an instant).
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 2:25 PM BST

Setting a Trap for God: The Aramaic Prayer of Jesus
Setting a Trap for God: The Aramaic Prayer of Jesus
by Rocco A. Errico

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, and don't be put off by the title!, 3 Mar. 2009
This book was originally published under the title "The Ancient Aramaic Prayer of Jesus: The Lord's Prayer."
Early on in the text, the author explains the meaning of "Setting a trap for God" in terms of the real meaning of Prayer, which is "Setting your mind like a trap so that you may catch the the thoughts of God".
This little book explains the Lords Prayer (the "Our Father") in the context that it was originally given to us by Jesus. I guarantee to you, that if you read and absorb this book, you will never say this Prayer by rote again!

by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 26 Feb. 2009
An old friend bought this for me for Christmas. It is not the type of book that I would normally even glance at, but in a quiet moment picked it up and started reading - what a surprise! By the end of boxing day I had finished it and was profoundly moved! Highly recommended

Nintendo DS Lite Handheld Console (Pink)
Nintendo DS Lite Handheld Console (Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars I've now got a very contented 7 year old!, 24 Feb. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my daughter (who turned 7 on 12/12/2008) for Christmas and she is absolutely delighted with it. Now, a couple of months later, the interest and the fun hasn't worn off and it goes with her everywhere.
A friend of hers has one too, and the ability of the two devices to work together is just amazing.
As a busy parent, I cannot recommend this enough - it gives you a bit of break so that you don't have to worry about what the little darling (or devil!) is up to!

The Power Of Intention: Change The Way You Look At Things And The Things You Look At Will Change: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way
by Dr. Wayne Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot On!, 23 Feb. 2009
I found this work absolutely spot-on in its message and its application. Not only are the overall nature and benefits of intent described, but the Author shows how achieve your higher self. Each chapter ends with a straightforward set of exercises which dramatically re-enforce the material of the chapter.
The material is also very practical, for example, in Chapter 4, "Obstacles to Connecting to Intention", He gives us "Seven Steps for Overcoming the Ego's hold on You". The first of these is "Stop being offended. The behavior of others isn't a reason to be immobilized...". The other 6 steps are just as good!
This book has worked for me and I can only recommend it very highly!

The Human Past: World Prehistory and the Development of Human Societies
The Human Past: World Prehistory and the Development of Human Societies
by Chris Scarre

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous piece of work, 18 Feb. 2009
I have always wanted to understand more about prehistory (The history before writing) and early history and this book has provided a unique resource for this, and all in one place.
The book is highly accessible and well written and informs across a broad range of subjects. For example, I never new that Africa went straight into an Iron Age, missing the bronze age altogether! dating methods such as Carbon 14 and mitochondrial DNA are well explained, together with limitations of the approaches.
I would recommend this book to anyone who seeks to find out a bit more about where we came from.

by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 18 Feb. 2009

i-nique Sony Walkman Series USB Cable (Sync/Charge) 1.5m
i-nique Sony Walkman Series USB Cable (Sync/Charge) 1.5m

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit Pricy, but does the job, 4 Dec. 2008
Its a shame that Sony uses such strange connectors. My original USB cable had broken from overuse by my young daughter. I got this as a replacement and it works perfectly.

Prayers of the Cosmos :Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
Prayers of the Cosmos :Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
by Neil Douglas-Klotz

5.0 out of 5 stars Alovely Little Book - A constant companion, 4 Dec. 2008
This books takes the Lords Prayer and the Beatitudes as they were originally written in Aramaic and gives us the insight into the meaning that Jesus really wanted us to have. The author provides many meanings and explains how the Aramaic roots and the culture of the middle east lead to a much deeper meaning than is presented in the standard bible. Foe example, "Wela tahlan l'nesyuna, Ela patzan min bisha", was first transalated into greek and then into english, to give the very confusing, "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil". Who on earth can understand God leading us into evil indeed! The Author gives us a much more reasonable translation: "Don't let surface things delude us, But free us from what holds us back", among a number of other interpretations.
This little book is allways with me - higly recommended as a "tune up" for your spirit!

Page: 1 | 2