Profile for geoff > Reviews

Morphy Richards Accents 48703 Sear and Stew Slow Cooker - Black
Morphy Richards Accents 48703 Sear and Stew Slow Cooker - Black
Price: 24.29

5.0 out of 5 stars My eyes have been opened..., 18 Mar 2013
Several people in the office were extolling the virtues of slow cooking, so I decided to go get one. After reading several reviews of different makes and models and taking on advice from others, I settled on this one. Three main plus points: You can sear meat and start off the cooking process on the stove top, so you don't lose any of those lovely meat juices. 2: it's dishwasher safe. 3: it's pretty cheap! The added bonus for a first time slow cooker like me is that the food that it produces tastes awesome. So far I have made a pork sausage curry, chili con carne, chicken tikka masala, pork steaks in tomato/pepper sauce (cheat - used 2 pots of Lloyd Grossman sauce) and this weekend did a slow cooked pulled pork shoulder. I was a little skeptical about the last one, but the joint cooked really well, it was cooked all the way through and the meat was really juicy and moist. My kids pretty much devoured half of it whilst I was shredding it.

So, I am one very happy customer. It has broadened the range of things that we cook at home for the family, and because we can set it going early n the morning, we have time during the day to go out as a family and do "stuff" and not have to worry about getting dinner ready half way through the day.

The Daily Mash Welcome to the Mental Hospital
The Daily Mash Welcome to the Mental Hospital
by Neil Rafferty
Price: 8.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Newspapers are redundant, 8 Feb 2013
The Daily Mash is probably the only source of news that anyone needs. They are very good at distilling the news into just the meaningful parts, adding a wry sideways slant to it and presenting it in a way that actually makes more sense than the actual story. So much of their stuff is laugh out loud funny, so please don't take it to read on the train, as people will think you are a nutter. Or the tablets are wearing off...

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer
Price: 2.66

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not a diet!, 8 Feb 2013
Like many, I watched the Horizon show last year and was immediately motivated to try the 5:2 "diet". My objection to the word "diet" is that it's not a traditional "limit this, that and the other, only eat this at this time combined with that and never after 7pm with cabbage" type of diet. Instead, it's a lifestyle thing. The main thing that motivated me to try this approach to life was the effect that this kind of lifestyle has on IGF-1. I have long been aware of how insulin affects the human body, and am aware that there is linkage between high insulin levels and age-related diseases like Alzheimers. So something AS SIMPLE AS FASTING for 2 days a week seems like an easy way to reduce the effects of insulin on my mind as I get older. I have seen what Alzheimers and diabetes can do to a person as they get older, and I don't want that for myself. So a change in lifestyle as promoted by the 5:2 diet may just save me from that future. Yes, you will lose weight because you are cutting down the calories that you eat in a week by nearly 30%. Duh!

The book backs up the program nicely with a bit more background to the science. I would liked to have seen more detail, but as the book acknowledges, the science is still immature and the results have only been shown in rats and mice. Some counter arguments from the "food industry" and "nutrition experts" would be good too. The recipes at the back are just filler for me. If you are fasting, try not to eat anything, let alone anything tasty. Couple of eggs and some ham. Done. You can always eat tomorrow. And if anything food tastes much better the day after a fast.

But my point remains the same. It's not a diet. Yes, you will lose weight. I have. But the long term effects of this lifestyle change are of more interest. The book needed to focus more on this, but I guess "Diet" in the title will shift more copies.

Samsung CLP-365W Wireless Colour Laser Printer
Samsung CLP-365W Wireless Colour Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain price for a great worker, 7 Jan 2013
I needed a colour printer for the kids homework, and having owned several colour ink jet printers over the years and, because of intermittent use, having to replace them every couple of years, I took the plunge and decided to invest in a colour laser printer. I found this one in the 'used' section of Amazon - the only "fault" listed was that the box was dented. Some fault! So I bought the printer for effectively half price. When it arrived, unpacking and connecting to a Mac took about 5 minutes. I had to use the USB connection to get it all set up with my wireless router. I set a dedicated IP address once I found the MAC address of the printer, and then disconnected the USB. It has worked flawlessly ever since. And the kids are happy that they can print out their homework in colour.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, then BOOM!, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
My wife bought this as a book club read, and I casually picked it up, immediately got wrapped into the story, identified with the main characters and their situations. The meeting at the wedding and the walk around the maze was particularly poignant for me. The main characters are in the same age bracket as myself, and the events, emotions and their path through life rang very true. And then, just when things were settling down with the story unfolding nicely BOOM! Just like that. No build up, no impending sense of what was about to happen. A single sentence. Made an immediate impact on my attitude to my life, wife and kids. So even though this is a book about life, I have found it life changing.

10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat  [DVD]
10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat [DVD]
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great supplement to help gym workouts, 5 Aug 2010
I used this DVD to give me some guidance and ideas on some stomach exercises I could fit into my gym routine. Variety is the spice of life and all that, especially when you have to fit those os-so-tedious "core" stomach exercises in. So having a lot of different things available means that the stomach part of my workout does not get dull. Some great ideas in here...