Profile for Keith Lawson > Reviews

Content by Keith Lawson

Keith Lawson (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Melissa & Doug Vacuum Play Set
Melissa & Doug Vacuum Play Set
Price: 14.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made and well priced, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pleased that it is mostly wood and not all plastic - that makes it durable and recyclable later. The mechanics work well - pieces are picked up as they should be. Can make a game of spreading the pieces around the room, and test memory about what has been picked up and what is yet to be found (keep a piece in your pocket until the end, then slyly get it out).
Child likes being like mummy or daddy. Good price - very reasonable. You could pay more for a tech-hoover (one with sound effects) but why would you?

Django Unchained  (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Django Unchained (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars An indulgence for Tarantino, 28 July 2014
"Django Unchained". Was it really critically acclaimed? Started well but, god, did it go downhill fast. And too long a film. Anything after the entrance of Di Caprio and the exit of Christopher Waltz can be missed (although Samuel L's performance is noteworthy). An indulgence for Tarantino. A good homage to Spaghetti Westerns then loses its mojo. Definitely a film of two halves.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Price: 49.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone...and, really, does it deserve the praise as a great tv series?, 28 July 2014
I wish I hadn't bought it. Had I watched this when broadcast I would not have persevered week after week, but having invested in the boxset purchase price, I came trudging on. The reputation is huge and young people I know tell me it is good. I can't see it myself.
There are some extremely good episodes but too many drawn out, boring ones. I believe that the scriptwriters made a commitment to so many episodes but struggled to deliver a good story development in each one.
I also wonder if I am the wrong age profile to enjoy this. I can see the evil of drugs but that is mostly glossed over except when there is a need to have some impact on Walt. The druggies in most episodes are disgusting lowlifes/criminals one doesn't naturally feel sorry for, but that is not representative of the real world. Furthermore, I find the juvenile partner - Jesse - to be extremely annoying; he is stupid, incompetent and a risk taker. I suppose that is for dramatic tension - the fine line between success and disaster. Maybe, one has to overlook "drugs" and think business and crooks.
How will you know if you will like this? I suggest if you are over 50, think "Lavender Hill Mob" and "The Lady Killers" (Guinness not Hanks" were brilliant comedies, you don't need "Breaking Bad" because you have seen better. If you are a young male, this might work for you, provided you have a good span of attention.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2014 10:07 AM BST

In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3
In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3
by Adrian McKinty
Price: 7.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a character is Sean Duffy. Set during the Troubles, it might have seem dated among modern fiction but it is an Ireland many of us remember from the news and the reader is back there with the politics, the bombings but also a fascinating "locked door" murder mystery. It is well-plotted, pacy, atmospheric and humorous. The dialogue is first person (Duffy) and evokes Hammett,Chandler and Spillane, a rare thing today.

I now intend to read the first 2 books.

NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger
NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Decide why you would need this, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have previously had 2 solar chargers and both suffered from breaking wires through handling. This is a more serious version and offers several different ways to connect up. I have found it to be on the bulky side for my car, which was the reason for obtaining. I do small, local mileage, so the idea of having a trickle charger while it sits on the drive or work carpark is attractive. However, the bulkiness for storage when driving is an issue. Other reviewers comment on the time it would take to charge a flat battery but I don't see that as a barrier - it's ideally for maintaining charge. Having only used it on the car, I certainly can see an advantage if I had a caravan or boat, neither of which I have, but would like.

Fresh Prints: 25 Easy and Enticing Printing Projects to Make at Home (Simple Makes)
by Christine Leech
Price: 11.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, for the right person, but not for just anyone, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not for the casual interest in the craft. To do the jobs in here to an acceptable standard, requires investment in materials and practice. So, if thinking of a one-off project, probably better to buy or have a skilled person make it for you. However, if you want a hobby that might bring in some income, this is a good place to start. The other reason to be interested might be the desire to do things with the kids. Recommend you have working space, as can get messy and you can't live around projects in progress to cook dinner (if using the kitchen) or have a shower (if using bathroom) - a spacious garage would be ideal, especially if water and sink available. Maybe check out local courses to see if you have enough talent before committing and spending out.

The Private Blog of Joe Cowley
The Private Blog of Joe Cowley
by Ben Davis
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is for my 13 yr old nephew but I read it first and couldn't put it down. Hilarious.
There is some real gems of humour (I wonder if the teenager will get all the jokes) inside a story that shows understanding and imagination of adolescence. It was quite nostalgic for this old guy to read and it will tick boxes for early teen males.
Good literacy and plot. An enjoyable read, so treat someone to this. I was quite sad to get to the last page, as I wasn't ready to give up following Joe's life. I hope there is a sequel

Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Price: 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Firstly, the dog likes this. Secondly, waiting to see..., 5 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First hurdle was "will my dog like it?" and "Yes,he does", for nothing is any good if the animal won't touch it. The benefits of fish oil is widely known and accepted ( I take oil supplements for arthritis) so there is no doubt there should be positives about including this as part of the dog's diet. My terrier is 9 years old and shows some signs of joint problems. I cannot yet say I have seen an improvement in his condition, but it is early days. At the moment, I am satisfied he takes it and, the next day, there are no nasty results for me to pick up during walkies.

How to Manage Your Slaves by Marcus Sidonius Falx
How to Manage Your Slaves by Marcus Sidonius Falx
by Dr. Jerry Toner
Price: 9.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative yet wittily written., 5 July 2014
This is a must have read for anyone interested in Roman History - whether factual, or the novels of Scarrow, Sidebottom, Kane, Jackson etc. I have several historian-written books (e.g. Balsdon's Life and Leisure in Ancient Rome) which inform me, but none entertain me the way this does. I hope to see more in this vein - absolutely brilliant.
It now sits on my shelves between Marcus Aurelius and Seneca.

Separate from Roman History, I found much in it that I could have used in my Management Classes as a lecturer - for are we not "wage slaves" - how to treat people fairly and get improved performance from them.

Forgotten Men [DVD]
Forgotten Men [DVD]
Price: 13.12

3.0 out of 5 stars A curiosity today, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Men [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's value is that it is authentically of the period (post Great War by little more than a decade) and probably propaganda against the warmongering talk of the early 1930s (rise of fascist Germany). However, the recent documentaries for the centenary have been brilliant and, for watchability, this suffers terribly in comparison. The dialogue clunks on the ear and the presenters are stilted unreal figures, which is a shame, as it includes veterans of several nations from the conflict giving their experiences. But if the original voice is what you want to hear, buy some of the excellent books using "in their words" - the letters and diaries of men at the Front. I thought this might be useful for lessons with teenagers but it would not grab their attention. If you are a WW1 buff, you'll probably want this for your collection of resources. For the rest of us, check out DVDs for the centenary.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20