Profile for Keith Lawson > Reviews

Content by Keith Lawson

Keith Lawson (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fisher-Price Puppy's Smart Train Toy
Fisher-Price Puppy's Smart Train Toy
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy., 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very appealing to my granddaughter. Well made with lots happening. The characters are tactile, the colours attractive. Great variety of actions using the buttons. Nice that the batteries are included. Chimney stack is easy for her to use but the buttons are hit and miss until her co-ordination improves. Lights and sounds and the train moves itself (not so good on fluffy carpet though, but the treaded wheels do work to overcome drag on other surfaces).

This is a toy that doesn't annoy the adults and I quite like getting down on the floor and playing with her and this together. I doubt that she will become bored or outgrow this toy too quickly.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
Price: 2.35

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK product but has competion, 14 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Remembering that dogs differ and there is no universal product, I only give this 3 stars because it doesn't rate against my usual treat for my terrier.
Test 1: will he eat it? Yes, no problem, but he doesn't try to take my fingers with it as usual with his normal treat
Test 2: when I pick up, is his poo OK? Yes, again, which is good as he can easily get an upset tum.
Test 3: value for money? No.

His usual treat is nearly a cheaper (can vary though by 40p depending where I purchase), is 95% meat with no artificial additives, and is gluten free. He goes bonkers when he hears me unseal the pack and is very obedient for a treat. He is so-so with Caprice.
But that is my dog - another could be so different.

LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Set
LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Set
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not sure it introduces the child to school, especially if a 2 year old, but it is well made, does a lot and is great fun. I am unaware of anything comparable as the characters can be placed in different places and produce different responses. We haven't obtained any extra characters but are keen to do so, which will expand the play potential. If I say anymore it will be only to be in agreement with and to repeat the other reviewers who have given this a high score. :-))

The Sun is God
The Sun is God
by Adrian McKinty
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality writing, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Sun is God (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Adrian McKinty is an excellent spinner of tales. His lead character is Will Prior, ex-military policeman during the Boer War who, with post traumatic stress, flees to a lonely Pacific island governed by the Germans. He is invited to investigate a suspected murder and, needing funds, he agrees. Based on a set of true events.
This is more Joseph Conrad than Conan Doyle and the joy is in the descriptive writing than the detection.
I read this in 2 days and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Watch Me (Jefferson Winter)
Watch Me (Jefferson Winter)
by James Carol
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Holiday read, 6 Sep 2014
Interesting characters and plot but not the best on the shelves. I liked it as an easy read and because I enjoyed the first Jefferson Winter. For depth and a higher standard, try the Tony Hill novels of Val McDermid. The Sean Corrigan novels of Luke Delaney have more detail.
In a small town in Louisiana, a man is horribly murdered by being torched to death and Winter (ex-FBI profiler) is called in to find the murderer. He teams up with local cop, Taylor, to work with less publicity. There is some good relationship writing. More people die and the fear is that a serial killer is on the loose.

My Little Pony Equestria Girls Applejack
My Little Pony Equestria Girls Applejack
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Desirable doll as part of a set, 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Need to buy as part of the collection as the attraction is in having the group rather than a single doll. Fairy thin, attractive doll for the girl growing out of "babies" and wanting something that starts to emulate a teenage figure. Parts are interchangeable with her "sisters" - another reason for collecting the set - and her hair is stylable, within reason. Limbs move but no other flexibility. Look nice on the shelf when not being played with - a young girl's room ornaments :-)
With a bit of make-up or face paints, the kids can dress up as their favourite doll, which is also fun for them.

Busy B 2015 Couples Calendar with Dual Schedules & Storage Pockets, Birds Design
Price: 8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars the calendar we've always wanted, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Such intelligent design. Sturdy construction. Four columns for entries - me, us, you, birthdays. Plus lots of stickers to use for quick visual reference; some already represent events, e.g. doctor, dentist, dine out, and others allow you to mark your own reference system. I once wrote to filofax to suggest such a system as it is so desirable and now I have one for my calendar. Big bonus - a pocket to hold cards and tickets on a monthly basis. As it is becoming the norm to book shows months in advance, thus is one way not to misplace the tickets.

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ramin Karimloo
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance and singing, 1 Sep 2014
Great fan of POTP. Had thought this was a concert version (similar to the Les Mis anniversaries) but it is virtually the whole stage performance filmed, which is very well done, but the film version is so much glossier I would not have purchased this had I realised.
Bonus material at the end where previous Phantoms and Sarah Brightman perform. Really quite good, but if you have the film on DVD, you don't need this.

My Little Pony Equestria Girls Rarity
My Little Pony Equestria Girls Rarity
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Think about a collection and not a single figure, to maximise the fun., 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great to have a partner for the doll already owned. The proud owner will look forward to a collection and play Girl Band with them; this one actually has a head mike. This is for the child that has moved on from dollies and into dolls - these little figurines represent teenagers rather than babies. Having more than one means it is possible to share when friends come round to play. It is nice to see the amount of imagination the kids have when playing with these.

There are accessories but the appeal is in the hair, long enough to style. Parts, e.g skirts and shoes, are interchangeable with her "sisters"
Looking great on the shelf when not in play. Swivel arms and legs but otherwise inflexible.

Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Orange
Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 L, Graphite and Orange
Price: 119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Able to favourably compare to professional clean, 1 Sep 2014
Length:: 0:49 Mins

We had been of the opinion we would need to replace our lounge carpet prior to putting the house on the market, but we may have just been saved that expense. It is barely a month since we had our carpet professionally cleaned, using a process called ThermaDry, which uses little water. We were not impressed with the results, which we put down to the state of the carpet. In the hard wear areas - feet in front of seat particularly - the carpet had compressed and been ground in. First use of the Vax and there are visible results, so very pleased indeed.
ASSEMBLY FROM BOX: click, click, screw, screw, screw = done.

A litre of water/cleaner mix covered around 7 sq yards, so frequent refills required to do a whole carpet. I put in a litre and got about 25% back in the dirty water tank. Went out for a couple of hours and the carpet felt very mildly damp still on return but nothing bad. The technique is to spray on the forward pass and not on the return. Next time I will do more passes without spraying as that brings up the liquid from the carpet - so expecting an improvement on the wetness. As carpet cleaning (as opposed to vacuuming) is infrequent, I intend to do one room a month rather than many in one go. That will reduce my personal energy needs as well as the amount of moisture in the house. Will also only do on days when I can have good ventilation.

Extremely easy to use. A bit noisy. After use the tanks needs a clean and then leave out to dry.

UPDATE. Getting the technique right. Do it slowly. Trigger to release fluid only on forward strokes. Go over several times without fluid, to suck up water and dirt - watch the pipe to see water returning. This means a less damp carpet, so worth doing carefully and conscientiously. Have lifted even more dirt from a heavy use area. Extremely satisfied with this machine as it has done what I thought was impossible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20