Profile for Keith Lawson > Reviews

Content by Keith Lawson

Keith Lawson (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G
Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons, 12 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would have liked another Star option between It's OK and I like it. This is my first ever attempt at using a nail gun and I was hoping for real success as I usually bend nails when manually hammering. Also the speed factor was tempting.
I used the 191 nail gun and it took a while to understand the instructions (small printed sheet did not help). As I had an outstanding job to do, to fix pdf skirting to a plasterboard wall, I got stuck in. What I should have done is used some bits of wood and had a test run. Third nail jammed and it was not easy to understand how to clear but I did manage.

THE NAILS.
Plenty of nails in the pack. Delicate to handle and the long sets were prone to break up; obviously cannot be too strongly binded as they would not operate, but my advice is to load the gun over a box or tray to catch any breakaways, to save scrabbling over the floor to find all the fallen nails.
The nails have no heads to speak of; slightly bulbous at the top is how I can best describe them. This gives me concerns over whether they will hold the wood on, not having that flat head of a normal nail that overlaps the actual hole made by the nail.
The nails did not go flush with the wood, so I am having to punch them down as they stand proud and sharp like tiny thorns.

So, I like the convenience and speed. And I have mastered loading and unloading the gun. I would have liked this in my days of assembling flat pack furniture, with lots of pin-nails for hardboard backs and strengthening drawers - it would have been a real bonus.
I have concerns over whether the skirting will hold or will I have to use more nails than expected had I gone manual.
Perhaps this is a horses for courses product and not a generalist tool - do read the manufacturer's information to advise you on making the right purchase for the job.

Petkin Plaque Dental Kit
Petkin Plaque Dental Kit
Offered by Pets Funky

4.0 out of 5 stars Brush and cleaning agent are the biz :-), 12 Dec 2014
This review is from: Petkin Plaque Dental Kit (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like the toothbrush, with its small head option. I have tried finger brushes before and it is not easy on a terrier, with a small mouth, but this brush is absolutely brilliant. The toothpaste is actually a gel - which again is a positive as it sits within the bristles and not just on top. Been very successful with cleaning his teeth, which I need to do as he had to have teeth extracted last year when we were only depending on the leading brand dental chew. More recently I have been using another product, which is added to his water (and reviewed on Amazon) which has hugely improved his breath, so I cannot assess how much this one contributes.
All in all, this product adds to a regime and I am seeing positive results.

UPDATE: I am delighted that the small toothbrush AND the gel are making life very easy with tooth care. My dog does not put up a struggle and lets me get at his back teeth with much more ease than when I used other brushes and the finger brush. He has no problem with the taste of the gel, whereas a previous chicken-flavoured toothpaste meant he tried to eat it before I could use it properly.

Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g
Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality ingredients, 12 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My little terrier finds it easier if I break in two (hard to do clean break, so crumbs etc are part of this action). As a fussy eater, he takes to these and I am happy at their qualities, seeing as he has food allergies. These are hypo-allergenic, with no additives or colours, so I know I am doing right by him. I trust that the crunchiness is good for his teeth and helps against plaque build-up. The second test (after "does he like them") is the business after digestion, and I am pleased there are no negativeseffects on his faeces.
Make a nice treat, no more than 2 day, alongside his meals.

Philips GC4522/00 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 200 g Steam Boost and Safety Auto Off, 300 ml, 2600 Watt, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Natty iron, gets the creases out., 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the safety feature of auto-off if left (it has been known for the iron to be left on in our house when distracted by a visitor or phone call).
Living in a hard water area, the ability to maintain the iron is very important but I haven't had the iron long enough to have to do that yet. The Quick Calc Release promises to make this task easy. The pointed "nose" is good for getting round buttons.
On the downside, I find it heavy (having arthritis) so do not use if for long jobs, finding it more useful for quick needs, e.g. wanting to wear something that has come out of the wardrobe or drawer with creases. I have another iron, with an external reservoir, that is absolutely brilliant for the sheets and towels, and won't be giving that up in favour of this.
All-in-all, this seems to be a good iron, and now that the price has dropped, more attractive.

Philips M120G/10 In.Sight Wireless HD Home Monitor (Pack of 2)
Philips M120G/10 In.Sight Wireless HD Home Monitor (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping an eye on the house, 7 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't have any comparisons to make with other products or know whether the price is competitive but I have found the product to be excellent for my needs.
Very easy to set up - I use a Nexus tablet and will be trying a smartphone once I have decided on which to obtain. I am not a techie so appreciate the easy to follow instructions (once I found the English version - plenty of paperwork to cover major languages).
Everything is supplied - continental and 3 pin adaptors, cable, 2 cameras, wall mounting. I am using freestanding as that means I can move them around. Width of vision is good. Colours can desaturate under certain lighting conditions.
My first trial was to watch my dog while I was out - always wondered what he got up to. Found that he sits in the bay window and watches the street. He barked at the postie and I recorded then sent (no direct voice system) a command to be quiet. It was amusing to see his reaction and he did settle but I think it was less obedience than shock to hear my disembodied voice. Demonstrated the speaking to family and a friend and found the speaker to be rather loud and coarse - so not a settling device for talking to a baby if watching a nursery.
I have found that a double tap to the screen brings that part of the scene up larger - like a zoom in.
There is an option to Share with others, by supplying their email address. I haven't done this but assume they get an invite to download the app. BTW make sure you get the right app - I searched and was offered several in Google Play.
So the plus points are the ease of set-up and use, decent pics, able to speak.

Print: Fashion, Interiors, Art
Print: Fashion, Interiors, Art
by Simon Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Specialist, 5 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not an everyday read but can function as a "coffee table" book. However, it is much more of interest to students of fashion and artists. The book is physically attractive - no cheap production values. The content is very interesting and I have gone through it several times, each time having my eye caught by some detail I hadn't noticed before. Can be quite inspiring. My son's mother-in-law is an artist and has been investigating printing her artwork on to fabric, so I must lend this book to her.

Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 1)
Blue Monday: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 1)
by Nicci French

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read. More emotion than detection, so not run of the mill crime fiction., 28 Nov 2014
Working backwards, having read Tuesday and Wednesday, but that was no bar to my enjoyment. I am thoroughly hooked on Frieda Klein as, now, is my wife, who is reading all three books back to back. Will be ordering Thursday!
Well-written, plot twists, interesting characters, inhabiting an enticing London of variety. Hope to see this commissioned for tv.

Westworld [DVD] [1973]
Westworld [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Richard Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic sci-fi movie that inspired many others., 24 Nov 2014
This review is from: Westworld [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
The relentless gunslinger robot (Yul Brynner) is classic monster stuff (no matter how fast one runs away, the pursuit is relentless and always only yards behind you).
Two friends go to enjoy Westworld - a cowboy town recreation that is populated by "safe" robots - i.e. they are programmed not to harm humans- and the paying guests can enjoy their fantasies. Until it goes wrong. Avoiding plot spoilers - it is a fight for life as the machines take over the complex

Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
by Paul Forkan

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional read, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story starts with the rather unconventional upbringing of a family. They upsticks and travel to live abroad on an itinerant basis rather than full emigrants, to experience and learn about other cultures and lifestyles. This is interesting rather than compelling but is part of the emotional and maturing journey of the children.
The experience of the Tsunami brings a focus on how this monumental disaster affected one family - sometimes it is hard to see the truth in the big picture and by bringing a micro experience the reader is emotionally engaged (need tissues). I had expected more on the surviving the Tsunami and days after but this is covered quite quickly. More is written about the post-traumatic effects and one wonders whether they would be truly free of the memories and flashbacks.
The final part of the book is a good read on setting up a business. There is something here for aspiring entrepreneurs and the message is hard work and belief.
There are several passages in the book - the love among the family, the disaster, the kindness of strangers and the final success of the brothers - that require a box of tissues to be handy.

Napoleon the Great
Napoleon the Great
by Andrew Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable biography of a very complex man, 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Napoleon the Great (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think a lot of us know very little about Napoleon and, despite considering myself educated and knowledgeable, I soon realised just how deficient my knowledge was of this incredible man - soldier, politician, visionary.
First though, I had a moment of rapture when the book arrived. It is of substantial size and feels worthy. The dust cover is attractively decorated with Napoleon's bees; the paper is off excellent quality. It is well-illustrated throughout.

Andrew Roberts is obviously knowledgeable and, added to his qualitative and quantitative research, he has produced the definitive biography. It covers NB's life and what a life. The early years are slim, obviously he had no contemporary chronicler before he achieved fame but there is good family background. I was fascinated by his rise to power and what was going on at the time in France. His expedition to Egypt is very revealing - not as an invasion of conquest but for its cultural and educational effect (most notably the Rosetta Stone). Upon his return to France, he plotted the overthrow of the Republican government and there could have been many a stumble along the way and the world today would be so different without his infuence across Europe. I thought I was going to be immersed in military history but the subject had many more facets to him than just a soldier.

It is a long read,and the book's weight can become a problem but the content is amazing and I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn so much, particularly as 2015 is the bicentenary of Waterloo.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20