Profile for Keith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pilot
Pilot
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot for the life of me understand what people see in this., 8 Feb. 2016
Comes across as a fly-on-the wall documentary on a dysfunctional family; strongly suspect actors are given a scenario and told to ad lib. Jeffrey Tambor elicits lots of sympathy for his conflict of transgendering, so kudos for his acting skills. However, his children are horrible people - the sort you would not want to associate with - selfish, immoral. People I would cross continents to avoid, let alone the street.
Too much right out there sex - which is not entertainment.

Henbrandt Sterling Play Money
Henbrandt Sterling Play Money
Offered by Alectro toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic UK coinage,, 8 Feb. 2016
Good value for the price. Resembles, pictorially, UK currency, which helps with learning. Our granddaughter handles this in her "grocery shop".
Better than the money that came with the till!

GREENPAN 1405505 24 cm Non-Stick Casserole with Glass Lid
GREENPAN 1405505 24 cm Non-Stick Casserole with Glass Lid
Offered by House of Brands

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 8 Feb. 2016
Aesthetically pleasing while on display until use. Lovely to use. Easy to clean. We now have 2 more Greenpans to make a set -we are that won over - and will replace our pans in time with other from the range.

The Very Little But Very Powerful Book on Closing:Ask the Right Questions, Transfer the Value, Create the Urgency, and Win the Sale
by Jeffrey Gitomer

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable advice, 8 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some people might be put off by the price for such a small book, but actually, its brevity is directness and all padding that comes in other books (stories, anecdotes, quotes) are left out to get to the nub.
Years ago, my second job in Retail was as a commission salesman in a Furniture Shop. I was not a natural and we had no training; this book would have been very useful. I particularly like the fact that it would not require me to become a salesman whom I had little respect for. I came to know quite a few, whose mission was to sell regardless of the customer's needs. With Jeffrey Gitomer's advice, the aspiring salesperson could hone valuable skills that help the seller and customer to a win-win decision. It gives directions on helping the customer make a decision (pros and cons test), listening to what the customer needs and wants (not what you want to sell, e.g. highest commission/sales targets to meet). I was able enough, in time, to become a buyer for a department store, and I experienced many sales techniques. The ones I appreciated were those who made an effort to understand my business, my ambitions, and my constraints.
Not just for retail selling, but any interaction where it is important to seal a deal. If I were starting my career again, I'd have this to hand (size means it fits a pocket), and be practising until all was second nature

Jura Origin 10 Year Old Whisky, 70cl
Jura Origin 10 Year Old Whisky, 70cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers!, 29 Jan. 2016
A long gap before I returned to whisky and this is my fourth brand. I don't read the descriptions until I have sunk a few - just enough to cover the bottom of a glass and a single ice cube at a time.
I really got the hits of flavours, licorice, coffee beans, sugary sweetness. This is a lovely malt.

Ragnarok - The Viking Apocalypse [DVD]
Ragnarok - The Viking Apocalypse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pål Sverre Hagen

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend it, as nothing new or outstanding, 17 Jan. 2016
Leans heavily on Jurassic Park for script ideas. You'll have strong deja vu if you have seen JP.
Having subtitles reduces its attraction for family viewing.
Shows minimal Viking action; follows the archaeologist and his kids tracking down a legend for its truth.
Tension is minimal as you will be 5 minutes ahead of what you are seeing; you'll identify character roles and their outcomes pretty easily.

Six Four
Six Four
by Hideo Yokoyama

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a page turner, 17 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Six Four (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like mainstream crime fiction, this is not for you.
Hands up, I didn't finish it; read about a third. It moves slowly, almost in real time. Some engaging bits but, without the prose to make it an enjoyable read, it was hard to pick up after each time I had put it down.
Story revolves around Mikami, an excellent detective but now working media relations. His own personal life is about a daughter who went missing; the counterpoint a murdered kidnapped girl. Stretching out the pages, is the battle with a strong media and his own political bosses. Mikami realises (I think) that he is being used as a puppet. With ingrained Japanese deference, hevus constrained in what he can do. However, the inner turmoil does not lift excitement from the pages for a read. Would be more entertaining to see it acted out on TV. I've never read Wallender, but seen TV, and that might be comparable.

Mr Holmes
Mr Holmes
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but absolutely right for some, 17 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Mr Holmes (Amazon Video)
A gentle, intelligent film about dementia, relationships and life. I was attracted to see because 1 McKellen, and 2 Holmes - a great actor playing one of the greatest fictional characters. But the film is really about a great mind facing increasing senile dementia and not a detective puzzle. I turned off about 40 minutes in, because it wasn't delivering the entertainment I expected. Luckily, next morning my wife and decided to see the rest, and we found it pleasantly watchable.
Will appeal to "Goodnight, Mister Tom" fans.
See the positive reviews on Amazon.

Nytex LAZARUS Memory Foam Mattress, Single, Double, King Size, Super King, Ikea Sizes (3. UK Double Size 4ft6 x 6ft3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Having good night's rest on it, 15 Jan. 2016
Came as described - opened it up and let it reform once free of the compressive packing. Looks nice quality.
Had a couple of nights' sleep and feel very rested. No rolling together as on the sprung mattress it replaces.
I think this is good value and I would recommend to family and friends

The Water Diviner [DVD] [2015]
The Water Diviner [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable - a mature film, 15 Jan. 2016
Didn't know what to expect when I chose this in Amazon Prime, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this heartfelt tale of a man who lost his wife in mourning and sons at Gallipolli. Beautifully acted (strong performance from Russell Crowe) and directed. Excellent supporting cast all round. Reaches out at so many levels. A story of love with many facets (husband, father, friend).
A warm film (with some disturbing scenes of battle).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20