Profile for Keith Lawson > Reviews

Content by Keith Lawson

Keith Lawson (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Puppy
Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Puppy

5.0 out of 5 stars All in all, a delightful item., 24 Feb. 2015
Length:: 1:04 Mins

My granddaughter is 9 months old and she took to this straight away. Immediately fascinated by the glowing heart but almost instantly working the buttons in ear, hand and feet after a play demonstration. The video is me with the toy before I presented it to her - her parents prefer she isn't posted on-line. In itself, a bit large for easy clutch for her as a soft toy but that will change as she grows.
The toy is soft and cuddly and only the tummy activator requires some effort - the ear, hand and feet being quite easy to activate. The variety of sounds and music is good. Volume is adjustable.
All in all, a delightful item.

Hotties Soothing Backwrap Microwaveable Heat Wrap For The Relief Of Lower Back Pain - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for back ache, 23 Feb. 2015
So easy to use. Pop the heatpad in a microwave for the appropriate time (relative to power of machine); slip it into the backwrap and put it on.
Velcro fastening of straps means extremely adjustable (NB I have 36" waist and flattish tum - so limitations on bigger or smaller sizes).
Easing my lumbago nicely and acts as a lumbar support in my office chair when on the computer. Will buy again if it needs replacing in the future.
Love that it is mobile and I don't have to sit next to a power point. Although I wore it when dog walking and, boy, did I sweat :-)

Radiator Cover Radiator Cabinet Traditional Style MDF - Large - 1520mm x 815mm x 190mm
Offered by Esc Europe Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 20 Feb. 2015
The purpose of covers is to hide the unsightly but functional radiator and make the room more attractive visually. For that reason, I wouldn't choose this one for my home, but it will suffice for people viewing the house for sale. As I am only buying to use for house dressing prior to selling a property, it serves its purpose at this price. Were I needing a cover in a house I was living in, I would spend for something more substantial and attractive.
A little bit flimsy - probably a good idea to use adhesive as well as the bolts. Instructions are not clear - illustrations poor and do not exactly match the pieces. Luckily I already had a cover so I knew what it should look like when assembled. I sprayed the grids, as they would be b*ggers to paint with a brush (would end up with globs of paint in the openings). Took a primer-undercoat and three top coats of white for an even finish - the dark mdf has a tendency to show through easily. The bevelled edges and the recessed grooves tend to expose texture of mdf and are harder to paint for a smooth look finish. Nails for fixing the grids in place had a tendency to bend.
When considering your budget, add in the cost of paint(s).

16 Blocks [DVD] [2006]
16 Blocks [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

2.0 out of 5 stars best avoided, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 16 Blocks [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Unbelievable plot. Acting is no great shakes. Very slow. Need subtitles to understand what Mos Def is saying. No big stunts.
Watch The Gauntlet instead and don't waste a couple of hours.

Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7 inch Tablet - Black
Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7 inch Tablet - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not like with my 7" tablet, 15 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Feels cumbersome. Does not initiate "sleep" when cover is closed. Cover can flip open if tablet dropped, reducing the protection.
The hinged part of the cover for a forward facing camera is a plus point.

Might be more effective with 8" tablets

The Death's Head Chess Club
The Death's Head Chess Club
by John Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't find enough superlatives to praise this, 12 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Readable from beginning to end. Amazing, moving, intriguing. I was caught out by a bittersweet poignant moment and had to pause to wipe my eyes clear of spontaneous tears.
The story moves back and forth from a present day (1962) to the past in Auschwitz and earlier, neatly filling in gaps but subtly stretching the tension. It relates the stories of men whose relationship was as polar opposites and redemption. One does not have to be a chess fan to enjoy this book but that was one facet that did increase my enjoyment.
Paul Meissner, wounded SS, is sent to Auschwitz to improve productivity in the factories (which used slave labour from the camps). Emil Clement is a watchmaker and a Jew, who was captured with his family trying to escape the mass roundups, and they all end up in the camp. To relieve tedium and improve morale Meissner sets up a Chess Tournament for the Germans and is then intrigued to hear of an "unbeatable" player among the Jewish inmates. Superiors of Meissner think that it would demonstrate Aryan supremacy to match the Jew against a German, but it doesn't go to plan when Clements wins. More would spoil the plot.
I thoroughly recommend this book. If you have read "The Diary of Anne Frank", or "The Book Thief", or "The Boy in Striped Pyjamas", you will find this as good. I fully expect a film to be made but don't wait for that - enjoy the written word and you will still want to see the film. I was disappointed when I got to the last page - what do I do now? Will I find another great read to follow this?

Happiness Wall Quotes Wine Vinyl Decal Art dinning room Decor Sticker
Happiness Wall Quotes Wine Vinyl Decal Art dinning room Decor Sticker
Offered by WallsUp

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results if you persevere, 6 Feb. 2015
Length:: 10:56 Mins

A bit of a wait for it to come and a nervous time opening the sealed roll - lots of tape and worry about damaging contents. I read the instructions and felt unclear what to do so had correspondence with the supplier. They assured me it was easy to affix and I would be able to do it. I disregarded the obscure (but having done the job, I can make more sense of the instructions) instruction sheet and did it the way I have done before with other vinyl decor.
It is important to take time with this,and I strongly recommend making it a two person job. Have a clean dry wall to affix to. Use masking tape to fix to the wall when starting. A spirit level helped ensured I was horizontally straight - important as this is text. Be careful about letters not sticking as top paper is removed - this can be easily addressed as you do it but would be a pain if only noticed once you have removed the whole top sheet. (NB what I am calling the "top sheet" is called "tape" or "transfer tape" on the instructions).

The video is 10 minutes long and shows me fixing it to the wall. If you are an utter novice, I think this will help. If you have experience, you'll get stuck in :-)

Frozen Grave
Frozen Grave
by Lee Weeks

3.0 out of 5 stars A marmite read, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Frozen Grave (Paperback)
I have to give 3 stars, because mum and wife enjoyed this but I didn't. Definitely would be better entertainment as a 3 part TV series as the writing flows like a police investigation - slow and methodical- but a visual medium would be less boring. First two thirds are tedious - feels quite repetitious to keep reading about the assignations of the main suspect with all the women he is stringing along. Got a wee bit of suspense with the final third but I wondered at the reveal WHAT!?
Not a page turner. Wait for the TV show to be made or read better UK crime, such as McDermid, Connelly, or McGinty

TY Beanie Boo Buddy 6" Plush Whiskers the Schnauzer
TY Beanie Boo Buddy 6" Plush Whiskers the Schnauzer
Offered by It's All Fun & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cuddles, 5 Feb. 2015
Length:: 0:30 Mins

I attach a video so that you can see it for real (although the fur is lightened to look more silver than it is). The whiskers on the toy I received are much more bushy and over the place than the toy posed for the product photo. It is harder to see the eyes, and it is the big eyes that make these toys appealing. Since shooting the video (for the purpose of real presentation), I have actually trimmed it a bit; the attraction for my granddaughter is that it slightly resembles our dog - who is not a Schnauzer (but people ask if he is).
The toy is soft and cuddly, sits alright. Ideal little friend for a small child. Also good enough for a desk mascot :-)

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable product - leading brand name for a reason, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An excellent product that delivers clean dishes, glasses and cutlery, streak free. I always rinse my items before loading the dishwasher and I am very careful to load with design. Also, we are vegetarians so no heavily roasted on pans or dishes. That said, the results are always perfect - making me happy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20