Profile for Keith Lawson > Reviews

Content by Keith Lawson

Keith Lawson (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Napoleon the Great
Napoleon the Great
by Andrew Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable biography of a very complex man, 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Napoleon the Great (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think a lot of us know very little about Napoleon and, despite considering myself educated and knowledgeable, I soon realised just how deficient my knowledge was of this incredible man - soldier, politician, visionary.
First though, I had a moment of rapture when the book arrived. It is of substantial size and feels worthy. The dust cover is attractively decorated with Napoleon's bees; the paper is off excellent quality. It is well-illustrated throughout.

Andrew Roberts is obviously knowledgeable and, added to his qualitative and quantitative research, he has produced the definitive biography. It covers NB's life and what a life. The early years are slim, obviously he had no contemporary chronicler before he achieved fame but there is good family background. I was fascinated by his rise to power and what was going on at the time in France. His expedition to Egypt is very revealing - not as an invasion of conquest but for its cultural and educational effect (most notably the Rosetta Stone). Upon his return to France, he plotted the overthrow of the Republican government and there could have been many a stumble along the way and the world today would be so different without his infuence across Europe. I thought I was going to be immersed in military history but the subject had many more facets to him than just a soldier.

It is a long read,and the book's weight can become a problem but the content is amazing and I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn so much, particularly as 2015 is the bicentenary of Waterloo.

Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red
Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for storing lots of documents, 18 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a fan of pocket files for years. I have my CV and qualifications in one (ready for job applications or professional development updates), recipes from magazines in others, Lego construction instructions in another, insurance policies, appliance guarantees. So much better than dropping in a shoe box.
This is well made, pockets are clear enough to read through. The book is floppy so does not self-stand, but I keep mine in magazine boxes on my shelves. Spine has a label strip so the folder can be identified.

Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop
Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel, 12 Nov 2014
Length:: 0:19 Mins

I made a video to show the music, while the toy was still in its box before my nephew was given it. It's an OK toy and, yes, the tune does get annoying,
Tactile, not heavy, bright colours are all plus points. Makes a nice link from baby toys that do so much to the next age-grouped toys where the child has to use imagination.Batteries included - well done, Tomy. Parents and nephew have been trying to get it to count by looping and it appears a technique is required (and no video as all concerned want privacy). The handle on the fuselage is a good idea.
It will not be "stand-out" toy but one of the pile. No real negatives about it.

Arm & Hammer Bad Breath and Tartar Control Dental Rinse, 32 oz
Arm & Hammer Bad Breath and Tartar Control Dental Rinse, 32 oz
Offered by By Paws

5.0 out of 5 stars it works!, 7 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quick results. My dog's breath has greatly improved and no side effects. Too early to report on dental improvements but I shall persevere with this product even if the only benefit were fresher breath. Have tried other products without success, so very pleased to discover this. I haven't been strict on following the quantities; I just splash some in his bowl each day in much the same way I add milk to a cup of tea. He is a terrier, a big dog may require more.

TOMY Stack n Play Lighthouse
TOMY Stack n Play Lighthouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice toy., 4 Nov 2014
This review is from: TOMY Stack n Play Lighthouse (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice and safe. Offers a variety of play options - stacking, water sprinkling through the cups. I do think it a better toy for a water trough at a Play School than the bath though and say consider other toys for the bath. Other reviews have covered the Lighthouse with plenty of factual detail, so no point in repeating. Has been enjoyed by my niece and we are happy with it, so is not a bad choice, but is just one among many - the features of music etc does not make it stand out from the crowd.

The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Optical 3D Artist Set
The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Optical 3D Artist Set

4.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite that has spanned generations, 28 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An old favourite that has spanned generations. However, just like its ancestor, it takes skill to create good designs and if the child gets easily demotivated, it may be put aside and not brought out again; the same issue of fixing down templates and learning how to use the wheels, not an immediate 100% drawing success. But, with perseverance, the child can create nice designs and it helps to develop artistic ambition. So early days - help and encourage the child. Recommend a better quality of paper though.
At the price, not a rip-off - value for money in today's toy market.
The 3D effect is not something we have yet achieved - maybe how we hold the pens to make the right laydown of colour?

Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline
Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline

4.0 out of 5 stars Overcome the assembly issues and it's quite a good item, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice play item but must be supervised constantly as the potential to have an accident is the DNA of trampolines, however small. We tend to put cushions around it when in use and put well away when not being played with. For the price, a good item once you have overcome the assembly issues (plenty mentioned in other reviews so it wasn't just I). It's not a big bounce, but enough to exercise small legs :-)
Not an essential for the toddler but then again, a nice activity item

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever product, 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great idea - flatpacked until needed and can return to flatpack if not needed. I needed the picture of the product in unset form to help me understand the construction, though I probably would have worked it out with a bit more thinking - not difficult, just novel.
Popped together it is reasonably sturdy and durable. Decent size and I may use mine for storing cake tins and stands when not using them (as they only come out a couple of times a year for celebrations). Clearly useful for documents. Would not use as a playbox for children, as I think it would not endure constant daily use in their hands. Nice colour choice for the Home Office. Crafters would love this for their bits and pieces.

House Of Frankenstein [DVD] [1944]
House Of Frankenstein [DVD] [1944]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff

4.0 out of 5 stars Wallow in nostalgia for this genre's golden era., 17 Oct 2014
I love the effects that make this period a golden era for this genre. Sufficiently creepy characters all well-acted. I prefer it to the gorefests of modern efforts.
Get it for the Halloween evening in.

The Confession
The Confession
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars This is John Grisham doing what he does best., 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Confession (Paperback)
Bit of a slow burner then it became a page turner. A bit of promo for abolishment but detailed and heart-engaging. Hard to get through to the end as it is difficult to read through tears; probably not one to read in pulbic (e.g. on holiday).
I hope this never becomes a movie - 2 hours is not enough and it deserves to be a mini-series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20