Profile for Hanne > Reviews

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite vegetarian cookbook!, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I got this cookbook after I saw it in the bookshop, and I liked it very much, just browsing through.
However, for some reason, after I actually got it, it took me a while before I started cooking from it. Owning already a lot of vegetarian cookbooks, and having a lot of yummy dishes in my "standard repertoire", a lot of the dishes in Plenty seemed good, but none of them actually seemed extraordinary, just from looking at them, so I never got to cooking them.
However, now I finally started to go through the recipes and cook them one by one, and how wrong I was! Most of them were really yummie.
This is definitely not a cookbook if you are not into cooking, since most of the dishes indeed require more than 30 minutes of preparing and some love for cooking! But I don't understand the people complaining about this book. I do not need cookbooks for easy dishes that I throw together in less then 30 minutes. If you are looking for that kind of book, you should probably buy a cookbook that is specifically aimed at this kind of recipes. For the days in the week that I do take the time to cook, this book is wonderful!
Also many people have been complaining about the many ingredients, but I really do not think that the amount or the type of ingredients are extraordinary. I live in a small town in Belgium, and I can usually buy all ingredients in my local supermarket, and if not, it's easy enough to come up with a substitution, or simply leave the ingredient out. Personally, I think a lot of the ingredients are a must in any vegetarian's cupboard, and worth a trek to a bigger city once in a while. And I also do not think that the recipes have that many ingredients, since usually a lot of them are just an assortment of fresh herbs, garlic, onion, oil,...

So: if you're really a novice cook, this book might not be for you, but if you love cooking and have some basic experience, this book is really a MUST!