Profile for Mr. Carl W. Gray > Reviews

Blue Clear Plastic Handle 2mm x 80mm Triangle Screwdriver Hand Tool
Blue Clear Plastic Handle 2mm x 80mm Triangle Screwdriver Hand Tool
Offered by Hong Kong Wan Xiang

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I can service my Glen heater!, 25 Feb. 2013
The Glen heaters I recently purchased have 2 triangular screws preventing anybody without the right tool from removing the housing and cleaning the accumulated dust from within. Glen customer services were not much help as they suggested that such a tool could be bought from most hardware shops - not a chance! Even Screwfix did not have one!! To cut a long story short I eventually came across this tool and bought it and I can now service the Glen heaters that I have. I was a little dubious about buying something from Hong Kong but I need not have been - it would seem that they ship orders to an address in Germany and then send them within Europe from there. It arrived about a week earlier than I was expecting and is an excellent little specialist tool.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and content with my purchase!, 6 Nov. 2012
I bought a couple of these little heaters after reading the Which review which stated that they were economical, quiet and efficient. The review also said that the thermostats don't function very well as they have a tendancy not to cut out when the required temperature is reached but this was not a deciding factor for me. I have also read that they are prone to clogging up with dust which I shall keep an eye on and spring clean if this becomes necessary.

They were purchased specifically to warm up my children's bedrooms quickly in the morning when they get dressed and at night before they go to bed (they currently have no other form of heating so these little heaters are important). I had the choice of buying the same model with more powerful elements but decided to stick with these to keep running costs to a reasonable level even though they were a pound or so more expensive. They do what I want them to so I am happy with my purchase.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 (3 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars 5th year I have renewed computer protection with Kaspersky, 6 Nov. 2012
I won't repeat everything that I said last year as it is much the same. My only concern, and I guess this applies to all similar software, is the amount of memory it takes up and as I am using relatively old low memory computers this is a real concern. I suspect that it also slows things up a bit but that is a price worth paying for peace of mind. Providing that I don't experience any problems with it I suspect I will be writing another review in a year's time praising the product yet again.

St John Ambulance PCV Passenger Carrying Vehicle First Aid Kit
St John Ambulance PCV Passenger Carrying Vehicle First Aid Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of dosh for peace of mind, 6 July 2012
Excellent priced product which contains all of the essentials that you would normally be expected to have when working on site. Being endorsed by St John's Abulance gave me the confidence to buy it and I was not disappointed.

Stihl 0000 930 2613 2.4 mm x 434 m Square Nylon Line
Stihl 0000 930 2613 2.4 mm x 434 m Square Nylon Line
Offered by HighTechCOM

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 6 July 2012
As a branded Stihl product I never had any doubt that it would be a quality product and it is. I have never used square section strimmer cord before and it seems to work as well, if not better, than the convention round stuff. Good price for a good product

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 PC, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars 4th renewal of licence!, 14 Sept. 2011
Having used several antivirus products in the past I turned to Kaspersky 4 or so years ago after reading the reviews posted on Amazon. I was not disappointed. Yes, it does slow the system up a little but all comprehensive antivirus and firewall products do. The software works seemlessly on my system and updates automatically without me needing to think about it. As far as value for money is concerned I have not found anything to touch it. I tend to get a 3 licence pack via Amazon which typically costs me about £8.00 per machine (I don't usually get the bang up-to-date version but one about a year old which updates to the current version when I first load it). Every year the product has got much more sophisticated and now seems to work without any issues in tandem with the standard Windows antivirus and firewall software, which in the early years I used to have to disable. Touch wood and fingers crossed, I have not experienced any security or virus problems while I have been using Kaspersky. Long may this continue!

Living and Working in France: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working)
Living and Working in France: A Survival Handbook (Living & Working)
by David Hampshire

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but info about utilities missing, 9 Aug. 2010
I bought this book based upon the many excellent reviews it has - there is a lot of choice in this subject area. Although I have not yet finished the book I agree with most of the many reviews, it is a good book with plenty of information.

The one disappointment so far is the section on getting connected to the utilities, specifically electricity & water. This has a number of advertisements for the sister publication "Buying a Home in France" which apparently contains more information on this subject. My issue is that I am about to go and live in France, having bought a house in France that needs doing up, and I am going to need to have electricity and water connected very soon, so the sister publication is of little interest to me.

On a positive note I have saved much phoning around by acting on the information that Liverpool Victoria offers good car insurance for Brits that will be spending more than the average time in France over a year.

The Art of Throwing
The Art of Throwing
by Alex McErlain

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book that I shall refer to often, 2 July 2010
This review is from: The Art of Throwing (Hardcover)
While browsing through the ceramics section in Loughborough University library I came across this book and borrowed it (I am doing an MA in ceramics and thought it would be helpful for a project I was doing about jugs). It was so good that I decided to buy a copy. It is more than just a guide to throwing placing an emphasis on critical and creative thought. The author is an extremely accomplished thrower and the book is well illustrated with his work as well as many of the acknowledged masters of this craft. As far as jugs is concerned there are several execellent examples where the union between body/rim and handle is fabulous.
The icing on the cake came at Earth & Fire (Rufford)2010 where my work was on show. I heard that Alex McErlain would be there on the Saturday so I took my book along and he signed it!

Tree Planting and Aftercare: A Practical Handbook
Tree Planting and Aftercare: A Practical Handbook
by Elizabeth Agate

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know and more, 29 May 2010
Excellent little guide. I have lots of self seeded saplings that I wanted to move to another site and after reading part of the handbook online I decided to invest in the book. It has all of the information that I need and much more. Basically, if you are looking to establish a woodland or just plant a few trees this guide has all of the information you need about pre and after care.

Woodland Management: A Practical Guide
Woodland Management: A Practical Guide
by Chris Starr

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the novice!, 19 April 2010
I am part way through reading the book for a second time. Having acquired a small piece of land which has recently been clear felled and replanted I needed a quick introduction to woodland and how it should be managed and I certainly got this from the book. The only thing I wanted to know that I couldn't find is how best and when to move small self seeded saplings to an alternative location. Written in a fairly easy to follow way I would recommend this book to anybody who needs an introduction to the subject.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2010 11:57 PM GMT