Profile for Mr. Simon Davies > Reviews

Content by Mr. Simon Davies

Mr. Simon Davies "spoony" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Studio Albums 1972-1979
The Studio Albums 1972-1979

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loving this set, 3 Aug. 2013
I wasnt really a fan - I had the greatest hits and thought - ok its cheaper than itunes - wow there some great tunes on these CDs. also the quality i prefer CD I thin I wasted a lot of cash on itunes.

Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living (The Bruce Lee library)
Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living (The Bruce Lee library)
by Bruce Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and I didn't expect that either, 3 Aug. 2013
Im not a martial arts fan - and I dont get his movies (and still dont) - Im a musician and was looking for some inspiring ideas

I read this most days on the train-commute. The thoughts and philosophy in this book are having a material impact on my own approach to daily living - not just the music side of things - very inspiring and in fact life changing codes. As Bruce teaches, you shouldn't agree with him - rather remain open consider his idea and take those that you agree with - which for me are nearly all. He comes across as a very normal human being too.

Finally - Im 45years - how was this guy coming up with this given he was gone by 32. Im grateful for what he left - but a little sadden for what we missed - I better read his thoughts on that as he would probably tell me not to be sad but learn from it and move on.

Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
by Mary Karlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Aug. 2013
Learning
I also have Paul Peacocks book which is very good too - I think you need that one first to get the basics going then I use this to advance. Im combining ideas from both now. Its good to have different perspective too.
As a Book
It beautiful - great quality pictures, pages, etc.. in this respect it knocks Pauls (still very good book) - into the corner. Pauls is of course priced appropriately and I think of the two - for the beginner its very important.
Highly recommended.

Home Brew & Winemaking - Balliihoo® Bored Cork Bungs To Fit Standard 1 Gallon Demijohn - Pack Of 5
Offered by Balliihoo Homebrew

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballihoo are very good, 3 Aug. 2013
No problems these are always great to deal with - items good quality and good prrice. Not cheap or low quality

DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24 INCH LED monitor Black
DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24 INCH LED monitor Black
Offered by PCBuyIT Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Monitor, 3 Aug. 2013
I bought from Amazon Mkt place - its doesnt say silver - in fact the picture is black, but I got a silver one and Ive return it. Apple were very good and said it shouldn't have happened though the refund took 2 weeks from collection. I have since ordered a black one which I have had for 2 weeks now - its a very good monitor - comparing it to my Apple cinema display (I use two at once) its not quite as good
but then again it didnt cost anywhere near as much which was £750. Overall - very good and if my apple display ever breaks - I would just buy a second Dell.
Its a 4 due to the issues with the first one being grey which is down to amazon - and it isnt quite as good as the apple. Its a 4.5 overall - just not a prefect 5
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2013 4:07 PM BST

Live!
Live!
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamerson on Bass, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Live! (Audio CD)
the reason I bought this is to hear the great guy on Bass - its not as good as whats going deluxe with him live at the Kennedy centre, but its him alright !

Front Row Mens Striped Rugby Shirt Navy/White L
Front Row Mens Striped Rugby Shirt Navy/White L

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it, 3 Aug. 2013
It was black/white to me - its possible the black was black navy - but honestly its 95% more black
It was actually reallly cheap and thin too

Fleetwood Mac - The Story of [DVD]
Fleetwood Mac - The Story of [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fleetwood Mac
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, low quality, short, 18 July 2012
49mins long reissue of a 1987. Mainly clips of their video. Low quality, very little narrative, I'm a musician not a fan and wanted the history -i thought this was rubbish it's not the story it's film clips with a bit of chat and the odd cut to a very old interview. It stops at tango in the night as that was when it was made so is way out of date. Rubbish, low quality and short. Maybe a mac fan will appreciate something more ie maybe you can't get some of the videos anymore - but as a documentary - well it isn't one and it's 25years out of date
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 9:09 PM BST

Bass Licks: Over 200 Licks, Lines, and Grooves in Many Rhythmic Styles [With CD (Audio)] (Hal Leonard Bass Method)
by Ed Friedland

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Unique but could be better, 7 Nov. 2011
Im a big Fan of Eds books - the walking bass books are must haves. This one gets luke warm reviews (elsewhere) so I didnt buy it for a while - but I thought Id give it a go and Im glad I did now:
First off its called bass licks which not really true (Ed emtnioned this in the blurb - maybe the publishers named it). If your looking for hundreds of riffs (which I use to do until I started forgetting them !) and then picking the ones you like and learning them then there are better books try the Jon Liebmans books. This books takes it beyond that. Eventually there is a limit to how many riffs you can remember and you start to work out the thoeory - then its better to have a tool fit which is what this gives you a good start on:

1. First it has a melodic pattern (2bars)- shows you one variation ie for bar 4 or 8 ie a fill to break it up.
2. Then it changes the rhythmic skelton though 5 different models: qtr, 8th, shuffle, 1/16th and swung 1/16th
3. It repeats 1&2 for different scale/chord types ie Box, Major, chromatic, Dominant, Minor, Open.

So what you get if you learn 1 pattern is a tool kit for varying without having to learn loads of licks.

I have to say - its not explained and explored as well as it could be (whih is unusal for Eds books) - this could be a much bigger and better book - the whole topic is much bigger too and we need more on this - ie how to fish not feeding licks !. If you already understand rhythmic and melodic vocabulory then you can work out how to use this - if not - best either use a teacher or build up a little theory/ideas first using more traditonal books.

Just my thoughts though.

Still good book - I got ideas out of here that I will keep for ever - its good just not well presented.

Fender Bass for Britain: The History of the 1966 Slab-Bodied Precision Bass
Fender Bass for Britain: The History of the 1966 Slab-Bodied Precision Bass
by Barry Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Loverly Story - Really Enjoyed it, 24 Nov. 2010
Whilst this isnt a musical study-text, it probably is for bass players/collectors only. I only came across it as a suggestion from Amazon and I enjoyed reading this more than the main book I bought ! Its nice to read Barrys story which you can tell is a love affair with this particular bass - Im a Jazz bass guy normally (got loads of them) but I went and tried a slab body 73 tele bass after reading this book (which I think is based on the bass barrys discusses) and loved it so much I bought it - those tele-bass pick ups (different from Barrys) wow - they go so low - who needs a low 5 string with one of these. Anyway - lovely read about a normal guys passion and some famous/not so famous musos who shared it with him over the years amd they all got on ie no egos. Nice one Barry !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 7:57 PM GMT