ARRAY(0xa83eb9f0)

Profile for Mr. M. D. Burton > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. D. Burton

Mr. M. D. Burton (Edinburgh)

The Hockey Stick Illusion;Climategate and the Corruption of Science (Independent Minds)
by A W Montford
Price: 9.89

5.0 out of 5 stars a revelation, 6 Sep 2012
As a scientist I know how hard it is to draw definitive conclusion from vague data (or even strong data). Thats why for years I have been surprised by the strength of the concensus on climate change in consideration of the sciences relative youth and the use of novel detection techniques on an extremely complex system such as the earth.

I decided to look into it further and this book satisfied my need. Its not dumbed down. Its of current interest and focuses on the science tied to the paper in question rather than going on a wild goose chase through the murky depths of the entire field of climatology. And on top of the useful information it provides its a good read, as are all conspiracy theories that are proven to be true.

This book hasn't persuaded me that climate change is not occuring but has reinforced the argument that the scientific community should be aware of the limitations (and indeed the failures) of different methods and statistics and that this awareness will only come about when there is transparency and reproduction in their work.

Shogun 2: Total War (PC DVD)
Shogun 2: Total War (PC DVD)
Offered by Moeroshop-UK
Price: 12.07

5.0 out of 5 stars reinvigorates the total war franchise, 8 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've got all the total war games and wasn't sure that a second shogun would be a worthy addition. Luckily this is an awesome game which keeps me coming back for more because japanese warfare is very different to the other titles. As all the clans are at war with each other there's constant battles and a sense of urgency.

I enjoy this game more than empire or napoleon but probably not as much as rome (bear in mind that rome was the original total war I played).

There's two problems that I have with shogun 2, both are small, one is that the generals speeches are the same every battle, the other is that the troops have japenese names making it hard to understand the unit structure.

Wypall L10 Centrefeed Wiper Roll 250 Sheets of 205x380mm Ref 7122 [Pack 12]
Wypall L10 Centrefeed Wiper Roll 250 Sheets of 205x380mm Ref 7122 [Pack 12]
Offered by 3WM Ltd
Price: 27.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 20 April 2011
Each roll is about the size of kitchen roll but is much thinner and coarser, allowing a roll to last a long time while being tough enough to handle spills, be used as a mat etc in a laboratory.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2011 5:14 PM BST

Mole's Christmas [VHS]
Mole's Christmas [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Mole's Christmas [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As I watched this cartoon a lot as a child I'm probably biased. I like it because its quirky, an old fashioned christmas tale with a good feel to the cartooning.

It's surprising that it's not on DVD considering how sucessful it was.

High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way
High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way
by Mike Mentzer
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a clear book on bodybuilding., 19 Feb 2011
Many of the bodybuilding books I have seen are endless list of routines and rules - with an explaination of the reasoning behind them - this book is different.

Mike mentzer is sometime vague with his terminology (using terms such as reserve ability) but he does explain all the key points that one needs to know. He gives 4 routines which you can follow but it's not so much a case of him telling you what to do, it's more him pointing out the ground rules of what stimuli our bodies will react to, enabling you to go out and gain muscle growth not just time spent in the gym.

A negative point is that theres far too many pictures of him posing in this book - but that's bodybuilders for you!

Sony Vs Samsung: The Inside Story of the Electronics' Giants Battle for Global Supremacy
by Sea-Jin Chang
Price: 9.65

4.0 out of 5 stars An indepth managerial book, 22 July 2009
I enjoyed this book because I enjoy learning about how large companies operate but I don't think that this book will interest the majority of business book readers (for example the kind of people who read the biographies of entrepreneurs).

He obviously knows these companies well as he goes into detail about the two companies structure and work ethic and how these affect performance.

Even though this book is quite interesting and isn't a text book but it's probably produced for business students.

False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World
False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World
by Alan Beattie

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book., 22 July 2009
I really enjoyed this book as I'm into books that deal with business stories. Alan Beattie has presented what could have been a complex and boring analysis of contrast in the world's economies in an exciting way.

I don't know how complete his arguments are as I'm not an economist but they certainly made sense to me.

I would recommend this book to someone aged 14+ who wants to know how the world got to be the way it is.

Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf Too [DVD]
Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf Too [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael J. Fox
Price: 10.01

3.0 out of 5 stars silly but enjoyable, 30 May 2009
I bought this set just for the first movie because I like Michael J. Fox. This isn't his best, I'd describe it as a B-movie with a ridiculus plot, but I liked it. I would only buy this set if your really into your 80's films. If your looking for a Michael J. Fox film buy another one such as the hard way or the back to the future series.

The second film of the set is almost an exact copy of the first without the charm of Michael J. Fox so it's not worth watching.