Profile for Film Buff > Reviews

Content by Film Buff

Film Buff (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Corkor - New iPad Air 2 Pouch Handmade from Cork, Gift Idea for Christmas Red
Corkor - New iPad Air 2 Pouch Handmade from Cork, Gift Idea for Christmas Red
Offered by Corkor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little tight, 9 Jan. 2014
This is a great looking case, with good eco credentials.

It also has a small zip pocket, suitable for a usb cable, or maybe a stylus. But not big enough for a charger.

The only thing that lets it down, is if you have a smart cover for your ipad then it is a bit of a tight fit (you can still get the ipad in the case, but it requires a bit of wriggling). If the ipad was in a smart case then I suspect the fit would be tighter still (maybe too tight)

However, without the smart cover, the fit is fine.

Protection wise, this case will protect from light rain, or the odd splash of water, but it isnt completely waterproof (to be fair, the manufacturer does not claim it is) It will also give protection from minor scrapes and scratches, but probably not being dropped down the stairs.

In summary, a very good looking and stylish case, maybe a bit tight if you have a smart cover, offers reasonable but not total protection. So four stars.

Rave Coffee Signature Blend Fresh Roasted Ground Coffee for AeroPress 250g Aerobie Aero press
Offered by Rave Coffee

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to rave about, 9 Jan. 2014
I received this as gift

As blended coffees go, I would say this is quite good to good. But there are other brands in the supermarket which are just as good maybe better and in some cases cost less (e.g. Taylors of Harrogate, Illy, even some of the Sainsburys Taste The Difference)

It is also worth mentioning that this is a blended coffee (that is, expensive beans mixed with cheaper beans)

The aeropress grind also seems.a bit of a gimmick. As an aeropress can use any coffee suitable for filtered coffee makers.

In summary, this is tasty coffee, that is fine as blended coffees go. But nothing extra special

(500) Days of Summer [DVD] [2009]
(500) Days of Summer [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable (sort of) romcom, 23 Jun. 2012
This is an entertaining film, that's a little different & more quirky than your usual predictable romcom.

There are some genuinely funny moments, plus some genuinely moving/sad moments. It also features a good soundtrack, including the likes of the Pixies.

Picture & sound quality are everything you would expect from a modern release (no complaints)

This film may not be everyone's taste (as I've mentioned it is quirky) But I've already watched it three times & still find it enjoyable (which is rare these days)

Baby bio 175ml, Plant food
Baby bio 175ml, Plant food
Offered by Pantiles Nurseries Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food, 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Baby bio 175ml, Plant food
Been using this for years & the plants seem to love it.

You just mix a few drops with water & then water the plant as normal. It seems to do the trick with a wide variety of plants/flowers. Recommended.

Adara Silver Blue Faceted Drop Earrings
Adara Silver Blue Faceted Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 23 Jun. 2012
I bought these on behalf of my girlfriend, who was buying them as a gift for a friend. But she liked them so much that she kept them for herself.

They do look both lovely & stylish (and more expensive than they actually are)

A Map Of The Floating City
A Map Of The Floating City

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 23 Jun. 2012
This marks a definite return to form for Mr Dolby. I personally think it's his best album since The Flat Earth (maybe not better than The Flat Earth, but it gives it a run for it's money)

As with most of Thomas' albums this sounds quirky on the first listen, but gradually grows on you. The production is lush & the tracks are musically varied.

If you like any of his previous work then I strongly recommend giving this a try.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 23 Jun. 2012
I've had one of these for approx 6 months now, so I thought I would write a review.

I've had various French Presses & an expensive Gaggia Expresso machine over the years, but for me this is the best coffee making device.

Not only is it about 10% the price of a decent(ish) Expresso machine. It's also much easier to maintain/clean & far more reliable (There's not really any parts to wear out or go wrong. The "rubber" part of the plunger may eventually wear out, but I suspect this will take many years)

The coffee it produces is as good as an Expresso machine. The coffee produced doesn't have a crema (but that does not bother me) and I find I can make a good cup of coffee much more consistently with this device than an Expresso machine.

On the first attempt, it does seem slightly fiddly, but after 2-3 tries you will soon get the hang of it. It still isn't quite as quick/easy as instant coffee, but it's pretty close (and tastes soooo much better)

Be warned though, don't expect to get a great cup of coffee first time. It took me 3-4 attempts to get my first decent cup & maybe 5-6 attempts before I could do it consistently (you need to experiment with the amount of coffee/water & water temp. Though this is also true of an Expresso machine or French Press)

It is also less suitable for making lots of cups of coffee (it will make 4 cups maximum, maybe less if you like your coffee strong) But this same criticism could be levelled at an Expresso machine & you could always buy more than one device, as they are relatively cheap.

My tips for getting a good cup of coffee from the Aeropress:
- Use good coffee (E.g. Illy)
- Add 2-4 scoops of coffee per person (I like my coffee strong & usually have 3 and a bit level scoops)
- Use hot, not boiling water (I normally wait until the kettle has stopped bubbling for 1-2 mins)
- Add the water slowly, making sure you wet all the coffee grounds
- Stir briskly, for approx 10-12 seconds
- Press the plunger very slowly (it should take about 20 seconds)
- That's it!

All in all, I'm very pleased with this gadget & have no serious complaints (even my girlfriend, who hates gadgets, loves it & wants one)

3x Dethlac Ant Woodlice Cockroach Crawling Insect Spray
3x Dethlac Ant Woodlice Cockroach Crawling Insect Spray
Offered by Amour Homestores & Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for the summer, 19 May 2012
This arrived promptly, well packaged & was cheaper than elsewhere.

It does a good job of keeping ants out (I find it better & less messy than the white powder) and lasts for months.

It can leave a slight mark (similar to lacquer or varnish) or uPVC or wooden floors, but it's not that noticeable & preferable to being invaded by ants!

No complaints, five stars

Bemis 5000AR Chicago Moulded Wood Toilet Seat with Plastic Hinges - White
Bemis 5000AR Chicago Moulded Wood Toilet Seat with Plastic Hinges - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 19 May 2012
This toilet seat arrived promptly & was well packaged.

It is made from recycled, moulded wood & is glossy white in appearance (At first glance, you might think it was plastic, but look closer and it has a smooth, glossy sheen that you don't get with a plastic seat)

The hinges are plastic & so might crack after some years of use. However, I prefer plastic hinges to metal ones, as the metal can become discoloured when it is around moisture, bleach etc.

The instructions supplied described how to fit eight different types of hinge & the diagrams were perhaps a little small (so it made it slightly difficult to identify which hinge you have) However, this is a very minor quibble, as you could probably fit the seat without referring to the instructions (particularly if you've just removed your old seat)

How easy it is to fit the seat, will depend partly on how easy it is to access the back/underneath of your toilet pan. But it just requires putting a screw into each hinge & then tightening a bolt on the underneath of the toilet. It took me approx 5 mins (including unpacking the seat from it's box) and I'm no DIY expert.

You could possibly fit the seat without using any tools. But you might find it easier if you have a large, flathead screwdriver.

I've only had the seat for a couple of days, so I can't say for certain how durable it is. But I have had similar designs of seats from Bemis before and they have lasted 10-15+ years (it's usually the hinges that go)

All in all, I'm completely happy with my purchase, so I'm giving it five stars.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete (1)
Ctrl-Alt-Delete (1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good psycho thriller, 7 April 2012
As an I.T. Consultant, I generally avoid novels based in the world of computers because they're poorly researched & make me cringe. But this is an exception (it's clear the author has actually done a bit of research)

Regardless of whether you're into computers or not, it works well as a dark, psycho style thriller (I agree there are some slight similarities to James Patterson, but I think Mr Lewis has a style of his own)

Additionally, there is an element of romance & some good social/political satire. Plus a couple of good twists towards the end.

All in all, an entertaining read, looking forward to the next one...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4