Profile for H. L. Markham > Reviews

Content by H. L. Markham

H. L. Markham "hayles78"

The First 20 Minutes Personal Trainer: The right - and the wrong - workouts for everyone

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit short, doesnt really tell you what to do as such, 16 Sept. 2013
I have the book 'The First 20 Seconds' and loved it so naturally I bought this too thinking it would direct me towards what I should be doing at the gym since it was named 'Personal Trainer'. I felt a little of it was a repeat from the other book and that it spent many of the few pages debunking common myths - which is definitely helpful but not really true to the title. I suppose in a round about way it does tell you what you should be doing in terms of it laying out the pro's of weight/resistance training and HIIT and backing it all up with studies but I guess I was hoping for something a little more specific i.e for weight loss do this, for strength do this. Dont get me wrong - its still a good essential read but perhaps not quite as I expected it. Very well written and in a very accessible way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 5:39 PM GMT

The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (Complete Guides)
The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition (Complete Guides)
by Anita Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars An actual COMPLETE GUIDE! Fascinating Reading, 15 Dec. 2004
Admittedly I have only had the initial flick through and a read of the parts I found most interesting at first but I will read through the entire book when I get it back from my fitness enthuisiast work colleague who has borrowed it and is finding it as fascinating as I did. He does cite it as more of an academic book than a leisurely read but is still enjoying it anyway.
I bought this with a hope of finding out more about how the body works during excercise and the part that food plays in that function and it hasnt disappointed me. Ive learnt exactly what I wanted to and more. Theres parts for working out your daily calorie intake and all those sorts of things.
This isnt a basic 'basic' book but I wouldnt say you need a science degree to understand it at all - I think it does all the explaining it needs to. Depending on your reading style and intake, and given the content you may want to read this a couple of times. I found I picked up the parts that interested me most first time round but to get a complete clear understanding of some parts that I might need another read through - but thats just me - we're all different hey!
Overall very good if your a fitness enthusiast and want to get into it further and have an actual understanding of how we work when excercising and the role food plays in it.