Profile for M. Rooney > Reviews

Content by M. Rooney

M. Rooney "celt81" (Glasgow)

American Death Songs
American Death Songs

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection., 4 Feb 2013
I prefer something a bit more in depth; if I like characters, I want to learn more about them. But this is written in an accessible style, and fast-paced. I think it's a good example of its genre. If you like crime fiction, you might like this. If you like short stories, you might like it. If you like both crime fiction and short stories, you might love it.

Agents of Atrocity: Leaders, Followers, and the Violation of Human Rights in Civil War: Leadership, Political Violence and Human Rights
by Neil J. Mitchell
Price: 33.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Only buy this if it is prescribed reading!, 24 July 2009
If you are interested in cold hard facts this is not the book for you, if you want anything concrete stay clear. I have read several books on the same subject matter which i found much more interesting and informative. If you want philosophical ramblings then you might love it. This left me wondering what i had just read and why i had bothered.
Not really my thing but it might be yours.
I like the cover though!

Exterminate All the Brutes: One Man's Odyssey into the Heart of Darkness and the Origins of European Ge
by Sven Lindqvist

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 24 July 2009
If you want to understand anything about Africa this book is THE place to start- probably the best book about Africa i've ever read that wasn't written by an African!
This book made me understand so much about colonialism, it's motivations and it's impact. All the bits of knowledge i had accumulated before reading this were, having read it, 'joined up' and made to make sense as part of the bigger picture.
I would recommend this book to everyone.

Gold - All Her Greatest Hits
Gold - All Her Greatest Hits
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Just sublime., 24 July 2009
The best Ella Fitzgerald 'greatest hits' cd i've ever come across. I say that both because of the sheer number of songs and also the nice mix of both sides of Ella; the wonderful swing numbers but also the slower, melancholy ballads.
Of course she was as near to perfection as an artist can get! This is a great showcase of her talents.

25cm (10") Sleep Design Double size 137x190x25cm memory foam mattress with Maxicool technology . The most advanced sleeping system available .7cm top layer of 100% viscose Elastic memory foam. Superior item . Free Temperature Regulating Maxicool cover

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing ever in the history of history!, 24 July 2009
I chose this because of it's low price then i started to panic in case it was too cheap and i'd made a mistake...

I needn't have worried. It arrived the day after i'd ordered it! It is remarkably comfy and excellent quality.

I think the reviewer below misread the description as it says '7cm' not 7 inch- and that's exactly what you get.

The only thing to note is no instructions come in the box. That's not really a problem as all you need to do is open the vacuum packed mattress and leave it for 24hours to return to it's normal size. I knew that because my friend has one too (which she paid MUCH more for) but if i hadn't known, an explanation might have been useful.

That said i'm glad i didn't pay a few hundred extra pounds just for one sentence worth of instructions! I actually cannot believe i got so much for my money.

Barefoot Runner: The Life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila
Barefoot Runner: The Life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila
by Paul Rambali
Price: 7.19

2.0 out of 5 stars The Life of Abebe Bikila? Really?, 22 April 2009
What annoyed me much more than the poor writing style and multiple inaccuracies was the fact that Bikila is not even the main character in this book. He is relegated to a bit part next to the main character of his European coach!
I didn't learn a single thing about Bikila from reading this book.

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
by Jung Chang

5.0 out of 5 stars An accessible history, 17 Oct 2008
One of the best books I have ever read.
Touching and heartfelt, yet matter of fact and never sentimental. This book is remarkably easy to read, I found it hard to put down. At once, this is the epic story of a family and a country. I could never have believed the amount of knowledge I accumulated from this book. The writing style of Jung Chang made it effortless.