Profile for Andrew Barnes > Reviews

Content by Andrew Barnes

Andrew Barnes

Page: 1 | 2
Anker® T320 Ultrathin (4mm) Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iOS (iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 2 / 3 / 4), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS with Built-in lithium battery / Aluminum Body
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little keyboard, 19 May 2014
Works well with an ipad 2. Connected easily and is so much better than using the touch display - especially when you need to make lots of notes. For the amount paid the keyboard is really good value. For anyone buying, follow the advice presented in a previous review about the placement of the rubber non-slip feet (i.e. four corners and below the 5, 8, v, m keys) and then you're all set!

Screen Cleaner KIT + Fine Microfiber Towel - All Natural - MADE IN UK, GREEN PRODUCT, NO AMMONIA AND ALCOHOL, Cleans All Dusts and stains, Best for LED / LCD / Plasma / Laptop, iPhone, iPad, Computers, Touch screens, CD's and Vinyl Records without harming the coating etc.
Offered by REMO TRADING LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 26 Nov 2013
Excellent product!! Wasn't sure how it would be, but there's a reason it gets a minimum of 4 stars, Works well on phone screens and laptops. No smears! And even better it seems to make screens resistant to greasy fingerprints afterwards. Costs more than others but would easily recommend,

Bulova Men's Precisionist 98B172 Black Polyurethane Quartz Watch with Black Dial
Offered by Watch Me Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, looks the business, 20 Sep 2013
Bought this after doing a bit of research on the net. Thought about buying an automatic at first, but the price was ridiculous when comparing quartz functionality to traditional chronograph timing i.e. most autos had a chrono measuring seconds. Average quartz chronos could do tenths of a sec. This watch does one thousandths!!

The second hand is smooth as it glides from one sec to another. The build quality is good and ticks my boxes - not too heavy, comfortable, looks great and most of all the hands line up perfectly with the dial. It is quite chunky, but you're likely to be buying it because its a bit different to the rest!

Thought about not giving a review (meaning I have a more exclusive watch), but I'm not that greedy :-)

Amazon delivery was a bit off though - delivery to a city multinational co just outside of office hours.

Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
Offered by M.T.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read up before buying!!!, 4 Jan 2013
I bought a couple of drives a few months ago to place in a NAS. I was busy so didn't try them immediately. I've always bought near enterprise quality drives as I can't afford to lose data. Seagate was always my first choice.

After (finally) placing the drives in the NAS I find that there's this chirping sound - think of a cricket. It took a couple of days to appear. After reading up on forums I find that this is a common 'feature'. The forums suggest a firmware upgrade will do the trick, but apparently I'm one of the unlucky ones - didn't work for me. There seems to be a lot of 'unlucky' around.

The forums indicate this issue is not just isolated to Seagate - Western Digital seem to get the same issues. Something to do with APM being enabled.

The drive itself still seems to work ok, but for me, standards are dropping. I'm keeping the older drives I have now until they die.

I recently sold an unopened, unused, older (by ~18mths) Seagate drive on eba* for what I'd paid for it at the time. Now I think I know why it still sold at such a good price.

My advice, read up on them fully before buying - "chirping noise seagate". And then probably plan to do what I am....go solid state.

SPIGEN SGP new iPhone 5C / 5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR Premium Tempered Glass
SPIGEN SGP new iPhone 5C / 5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR Premium Tempered Glass
Offered by Keep in Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra money, but is an excellent product!!, 18 Nov 2012
I bought this item after having used screen protection products from other manufacturers. They were poor in comparison - see my other reviews. I've bought other plastic versions from SGP, but this version is so much better.
This protector is made from glass and comes with all you'll need for fitting - card to remove bubbles, alcohol swab, etc.
I've just put mine on and find that its perfect - no bubbles, great fit. Its slightly thicker than plastic versions though.
The screen clarity is exceptional so it balances out!!
Bear in mind you only have ONE CHANCE when fitting - so do it in a dust free environment. Do it near the shower if that helps - search the internet if puzzled by what I mean.
Overall this product is pricey but easily met my high expectations.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C (2 x FRONT screen protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fit, but not perfect, 8 Nov 2012
Peeled off the apple cover and put on the 1st cover supplied. No good. Then tried the 2nd cover. No good either.
The lcd cover is an excellent fit and sticks to the phone like glue - even though its using static.
Its the result that's the problem. Hard to describe. Not bubbles as such. Reminds me more of the effect of a film of oil on water.
The cover has a grippy feel - not the usual smooth feel of glass or other covers. I think the texture is what causes the cover to attract smudges and be hard to clean - expensive lcd cloths/solutions did not help. Am leaving it on until I find another.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, works straight out of the box, 16 Sep 2012
This is a great little machine. I bought mine so I could have network shares and be able to backup my important data. After having (and returning) a QNAP I found the operations of DSM (the Synology UI) to be a breeze.

A few clicks and you're up and going. There was plenty on the internet to explain NAS terminology and lots of synology examples - no particular need to read manuals.

If like me you want to use all the space available on your drives, have no particular need for RAID and want it mainly for backup across a couple of drives, then a "Basic" hard drive setup is probably for you.

You pay about £30 more for this enclosure than a QNAP, but its well worth it.

QNAP TS-212 Digital Home Series (Diskless) 2 Bay All-in-One Desktop Turbo NAS Server Multimedia Station
Offered by Value_Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what you expect, 14 Sep 2012
I bought this NAS with the intention of keeping videos and documents stored on a network drive. The quality of the product is good, but it is much too difficult to use for the amount you're paying.

On receiving the QNAP I found the version of the firmware was far behind the one on the box. Simple, just upgrade the firmware. I downloaded the latest version and used the UI provided. Upgrading failed!!! After searching I find that the only way is to drop to a command prompt and perform linux commands. Not good. I am well capable of performing those commands, but many won't be. It took a while to find that using a terminal was the only solution and the manufacturers produced the firmware in March and still haven't fixed it!!

I sent mine back as I expect to get a file share/nas with minimum technical input. If that's what you expect too then avoid. If you want the same as me then I recommend searching for a DS212J - a bit of a waiting process in setting up volumes, but the product is a pleasure to use and there's so much on the web on setup there's no need to contact the manufacturers!

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Matte Clear (Anti-Glare) - Apple iPad 2/3/4 (2nd Generation / 3rd Generation / 4th Generation) (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, however, 22 Jan 2012
I'd agree with many that this is a better product than most however....
Pay attention to others on the application. I found it wasn't easy. I feel its due to the stickiness of the product. When applying I found it was difficult to get the holes for the home button and the front facing camera lined up. The stickiness prevented ease of movement. I've applied many protectors before with great success - see below. Even with careful application there were lots (dozens) of bubbles left behind. My iPad was brand new, straight out of the box.

The Belkin iPad2 protector came with 2 protectors. I've just finished putting on the 2nd (onto their iPad) after my friend messed up their 1st. It was easy to apply, no bubbles and after a couple of hours on all looks well.

I thought my MediaDevil would be superior (I think Belkin is cheap). I have MediaDevil on my iPhone, however I'm now ordering some Belkins.

If the bubbles disappear off the MediaDevil I will update this review.

STM Bags Turtle Small Hardshell Laptop Sleeve 13 inch - Black
STM Bags Turtle Small Hardshell Laptop Sleeve 13 inch - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and sturdy, 3 Aug 2011
Got this item a few months back. Since then I've used it daily.
Its sturdy enough to protect your laptop from bangs and is still light. The closure tabs are still working well. Good quality stuff.
Have been asked about it by a few mac air onlookers.
Now its reduced by £10 its well worth it. I'll be buying another and selling my spare bag on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2011 3:34 PM BST