Profile for Mr. James Haythornthwaite > Reviews

Content by Mr. James Hayt...

Mr. James Haythornthwaite (London)

Promises of London: A Short Story
Promises of London: A Short Story
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and immediate, 24 July 2014
An engaging, heartfelt moment-in-time story - a nice 'bite-size' work. Hugh Howey's not kidding - it's short! :)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Alive with detail and emotion - totally captivated, 7 Nov 2013
I was cautious when I bought this book, as I'm a huge fan of Gerard Jones' factual book about this period (Men of Tomorrow) and I didn't think that anything could stand up against that book in terms of capturing the essence of the time - I've also never been a huge fan of historical fiction as a genre. Having googled the author, I was expecting something a bit long-worded and 'good for me' - I bought it to tick it off my list, rather than as pure escapism. Not long into the book I realised that I was totally engrossed - the more I read, the more I was blown away by what a great story it is.

There's a lot of 'historical fiction' stuff going on, and to be fair the writing style is very 'literary', but it's also really exciting. It's written as a small, interpersonal drama, but all of the vivid characterisation and complex emotion is played out against this absolutely riveting, fast-paced, swashbuckling and unique story that is packed full of action and intrigue from start to finish.

This was a great book - good enough to re-read.

How Much Is Enough?: Money and the Good Life
How Much Is Enough?: Money and the Good Life
by Robert Skidelsky

5.0 out of 5 stars A rich and thoughtful argument - didn't agree with all of it, 17 Aug 2012
This book has been such a refreshing read. It transcends the jealous whingeing and blaming so prevalent in most books about today's economy, and makes you thing on a much bigger, broader scale about the system we live in, and whether it's truly serving us in the best possible way at the moment.

The book is objective,well reasoned and thoroughly engaging throughout. I didn't agree with every suggestion made at the end of the book, but it made me think about the way the world works today and how that system affects me personally in a way that no other book ever has. It's honest and unsensational in its language, which makes it far easier to engage with on a meaningful level.

Since finishing this book I've been thinking long and hard about the true value of money, its role versus its place in society, and how it both enables and frustrates the journey towards the "ideal lifestyle".

If every member of the House of Lords wrote books that were as challenging, carefully considered and genuinely concerned about the state of the modern individual in their nation, this country would be a much brighter and stronger place. Great stuff.

Moon Over Soho
Moon Over Soho
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinding story - just as good as the first book, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Moon Over Soho (Hardcover)
I've just finished reading this - this is excellent! I could taste all the cool bits of real-life, modern London in this book - every page made me see a fresh aspect of the city streets that I walk down every day, and the characters are proper, honestly portrayed English London characters (not a naff bond-villain or dullard sidekick stereotype in sight - everyone feels real).

I'm not mad on fantasy books generally, but the magic, and the way it's discussed/used in the book, is so organic, clear and believeable that it just becomes part of the reality of the story. Anyway, I'm not sure it's a fantasy - I would describe it as one of the best detective novels I've read in ages. This guy has more in common with Raymond Chandler than J K Rowling - in a good way. His writing is fresh, punchy, pithy and so cool. The story was brilliant - really rich without being confusing. I just desperately want to read the next one now.

The first book is incredible as well - definitely read that one first.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2011 6:39 PM BST

Writing for the Web (Chambers Desktop Guides)
Writing for the Web (Chambers Desktop Guides)
by Chambers (Ed.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start, 14 Nov 2009
I bought this book when I was just starting my first job in digital content and I found it really useful. It's thoughtfully written, easy to understand and provides clear advice on the basics of how to write for the web.

Whether you're writing articles, ad copy or just simple functional site instructions for the internet, there are some basic things that you need to know, or at least think about, in order to ensure you're doing the best you can for your reader / user. While some of it is instinctive, there are technical aspects that need to be taken into account when writing for the web, and this book gives a great overview of the headspace you need to be in to write online properly.

This book is just a little desktop guide - it's not a comprehensive manual - so there's a lot of ground it doesn't cover. There's not a lot in here about SEO best practice, but given the speed at which SEO trends change, and the ambiguity that surrounds what works and what doesn't when it comes to Search Engine Optimisation, it's probably a good thing that there's no serious attention given to it here.

Overall this is a great starter book, and it will make you a better internet writer, but if you've already got a couple of weeks / months commercial internet writing under your belt, you might already have learned a lot of what's contained in here on the job, hence the 4 stars rather than 5.

Personally, I'm glad I bought it anyway!