Profile for ns1955 > Reviews

Mountains Come Out of the Sky: The Complete Illustrated History of Prog Rock
Mountains Come Out of the Sky: The Complete Illustrated History of Prog Rock
by Will Romano

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written and nicely illustrated book, 7 Aug 2014
A well written and nicely illustrated book, but some of the album cover images given were wrong in the edition I bought.
The book is BIG, just under A4 size, and well produced using quality paper with a sturdy cardboard cover.

It covers the history of the bands very well, but for my taste it doesn't discuss the music itself quite enough.
I discovered some excellent bands by reading this, such as IQ, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard and Renaissance.

In particular the albums V by Spock's Beard, Stupid Dream by Porcupine Tree and Frequency by IQ were mentioned in the book and they are among my all time favourites now.

The Suburbs
The Suburbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good album, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Suburbs (Audio CD)
Some albums sound very good the first time that you hear them, while others grow on you after several listens. Very few albums do both, and this is one of them.

I have been buying albums and listening to music of all kinds for about 45 years and this album is among the best (within its genre) that I have ever heard. I don't normally write reviews, but I felt that I had to give praise where it is due in this case.

Starting Out: the Reti
Starting Out: the Reti
by Neil McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the Reti opening, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Starting Out: the Reti (Paperback)
A very good introduction to the position that occurs after 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 but the book does not cover very much else.
This is not made totally clear on the cover, or on the back of the book, but its important, so it should be made clear.

The final chapter covers positions that can occur via transpostions from the English opening or from Kings Indian defence and Dutch defence pawn structures etc. but not in great detail (the final chapter has 32 pages). The games in the final chapter are well chosen and well annotated, but in my view it could have been ommited without detracting from the book's overall merit.

However, having said this I must add that the book is very well written and easy to understand. It is well layed out with plenty of white space, the typeface is clear, and a great deal of nicely annotated board diagrams are given, so that the book can be read without the aid of a board most of the time.

The author concentrates on explaining the ideas behind the moves and the plans that can be followed when Reti type pawn structures arise, using some very well chosen and interesting games (rather than just giving a "database dump" of variations, as some books do). Personally I prefer this approach and I found the book to be very instructive, so I would thoroughly recommend it to people who are "starting out" with the Reti, as the book's title suggests.

Highway
Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and moving, 29 Aug 2009
This review is from: Highway (Audio CD)
I just listened to this for the first time on the web and its so musically accomplished and moving.
I had to replay "Sunny Day" three times it was so good. Then "Love You So" took my breath away....
What else can you get for this money that's so good? I can't think of anything.