Profile for Ralph Bacon > Reviews

Content by Ralph Bacon
Top Reviewer Ranking: 152

Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
High Quality Pure L-Lysine Powder 500g Pharmaceutical Grade (100% Additive Free)
Offered by Health Leads UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Also suitable for cats with Feline Calici / Herpes Virus, 7 Nov. 2014
I'm not using this to supplement my diet as I eat enough beans, cheese and yoghurt already.

However, my cat Bennie has been diagnosed with Feline Calicivirus (FCV) which is a sort of cat flu that recurs. Many cats carry this virus and just spread it around and never fall sick but as my cat was a mistreated RSPCA rescue cat his ability to fight FCV off was compromised.

So Lysine to the rescue! Giving 1/4 of a teaspoon (about 1/2 gram) acts as a protein building block not a drug and *assists* Bennie in fighting of the effects of the Calicivirus or Herpes virus when it attacks. Bennie's symptoms are sneezing, runny eyes - typical 'common cold' symptoms in a human.

Lysine helps Bennie trick the virus into self-destructing by using this L-lysine instead of its preferred protein Arginine. Since starting this his early symptoms disappear almost immediately. Was it the Lysine or one of the other homeopathic remedies (including Vitamin C) we use? I don't know but I'm not going to stop using this just to find out.

It's only necessary when we spot the tell-tale signs of an infection and this powder is reasonably bland enough to hide in his food. Given the small dosage for a cat this pack will last for some time. Any excess is excreted out so it harmless if not required.

Good value and perfectly safe and Bennie say 'Great'!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 9:49 AM GMT

UniBond 1807937 Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device
UniBond 1807937 Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device

4.0 out of 5 stars Collects humidity but is a long term potential solution not a quick fix, 7 Nov. 2014
So after 2 -3 weeks of having this larger-than-expected unit in my bathroom it has collected about 2cm of very blue water. So it's definitely collecting something - and I don't expect it to collect water condensing on cold window panes, just the water now floating about in the air.

Whether this is enough to stop the never-ending corrosion of anything metal in the bathroom (toilet handle, springy door stopper, shaving mirror) remains to be seen, however, as it may be several weeks before the new items we've installed as a controlled test start to deteriorate.

This is in a bathroom that has an extractor fan that comes on automatically with the shower and a window that gets opened after every shower - the corrosion and rusting has to be seen to be believed.

The unit is bigger than I expected but doesn't look particularly out of place on the floor next to the toilet. Opening the tab to pour out the liquid is more difficult than I expected as the plastic has no easy lip to grip - and this was before it started collecting that blue liquid, contact with which is to be avoided at all costs, apparently.

If it actually works (which I probably won't know for a couple of months) then it's great and I'll come back and give this 5 stars. If I still get the rust and corrosion I'm coming back to downgrade it!

As it stands it's doing its job, looks OK in a bathroom / home environment, is a tad tricky to empty but was reasonably priced. Time will tell [Nov 2014].

Tacwise 1038 Hobby 53EL Kit
Tacwise 1038 Hobby 53EL Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DIY/Hobby stapler, easy to use, lightweight, 5 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the TacWise 1038 Hobby 53EL package arrived it felt quite lightweight and I was pleased that this tool was lighter than the heavy duty item I otherwise use. In this case, 'lightweight' does not mean flimsy or cheap, quite the opposite as the tool feels well made and sturdy. It's just easier on my wrists.

The fact it uses both staples and nails (not at the same time, obviously) is a real boon, and the included staple remover is a little Godsend (I actually already have one of these removers so can vouch for their sturdiness and effectiveness in getting out difficult staples, even in high density wood).

That said, the manual was not the shining example of clarity in how to load these items but it became obvious once I'd had a go and tried to insert them back-to-front and upside down. Doh!

The boxes of nails and staples (1 of nails and 2 of staples, 6mm and 10mm - good sizes for general DIY or hobby use) was a welcome addition, and I'm really pleased that replacement boxes of the same are not expensive.

Only downside is that if you apply wishy-washy pressure to the stapler when in use your staple or nail may sit proud of the material (depends on its density) and I found that putting extra downwards pressure on the front of the unit eliminated this entirely (interesting to note that my old B&D unit had a rotary pressure selector which obviated this). You could always use a small hammer to finish off the job if you don't want to do this, as I did on several occasions.

All in all I cannot fault it. It's priced to sell to the average DIY or Hobbyist and the refills are good value too. It's built to last, lightweight to use and if only the mains lead was longer (2 or even 3 metres is required really) I'd have nothing negative to say at all!

Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper
Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant rounded clippers, prevent splitting and so easy to use - even my cat likes them!, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper (Misc.)
Our Burmese is an indoor cat so his claws can grow too long and need clipping. Rather than go to the vets I watched a YouTube video on how it's done and found these rounded clippers at a good price here on Amazon.

Being rounded they provide even pressure on the claw being clipped thus preventing splitting, A cat's claw is like an onion with several lays so using scissors or nail clippers causes too much pressure on one of the layers (who knew?).

Bennie, the Burmese, was relaxed enough to let me do all his super-sharp front claws in one go, carefully avoiding the quick, and then the back ones an hour later.

The Ancol clipper worked like a dream and the difference has been amazing, no more caught clothes, no clippety-clop up the wooden hallway floor, but he can still attack the scratching post like the mad cat he is without any problems.

I can only recommend them but do watch a video on how it's done first - it is VERY easy.

With Trackball Wireless Finger Handheld USB Mouse Mice Trackball Mouse USB 2.0 Interface Plug And Play DPI 400 600 800 1000 (AAA battery is not included)

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with non-Windows devices - requires a driver, 5 Nov. 2014
I bought this to replace a corded mouse on my CCTV recording unit (think Sky+ for CCTV).

As the description said 'no software required' and one of the user-supplied answers indicated that no drivers were required I thought this would work fine (having tested the unit on another cordless Keysonic keyboard which worked fine, but I had no need of a keyboard, just the mouse).

Unfortunately, on plugging in the receiver to the USB port, a mouse pointer briefly appeared then disappeared almost instantly. Nothing I could do would get it to work. Plugging the same unit into a Windows laptop immediately caused several drivers to download indicating that this does require 'software' to work after all (unlike the Keysonic keyboard that just presented a standard USB mouse and did all the processing withing the dongle).

So, if you're thinking of using this for a non-Windows device be very sure it will work.

Additionally, I found a couple of other items that were not optimal. The left/right mouse buttons on the top of the unit work as a tab/backtab key, not a mouse click at all. The trigger acts as a left mouse click but there doesn't seem to be any button that works as a right mouse click.

It's incredibly easy to accidentally click that trigger switch (talk about hairline trigger!) too.

The ball bit on top actually worked very well, smooth enough and scrolled quickly enough to be useful.

The scrollwheel worked just as you would expect a mouse wheel to work.

If it had interfaced with my unit I might have kept it if I could work without a right mouse click but as it is it has to go back whilst I continue my search for a wireless mouse that requires NO software (including drivers!).

SAFE 12 V Petnap Electric Cat Dog heat pad mat 33cm x 44cm
SAFE 12 V Petnap Electric Cat Dog heat pad mat 33cm x 44cm
Offered by Petnap Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, flexible mat that provides lovely level of heat for cat or (very) small dog - purr-fect!, 30 Oct. 2014
This replaced a hard plastic Frisby-style cat bed heater which was too uncomfortable, so how does this fare?

Good
-------
- Very flexible, soft mat (with the supplied cover which must be used).
- Large enough even for a large cat (don't embarrass my cat by asking how I know this)
- Doesn't overheat
- Gives off the correct amount of warmth when laid upon
- Protected lead coming from the mat to protect against biting

Not so good
---------------
- Could be even bigger for average sized dogs (OK for a Yorkie, no good for a Lab)
- Transformer is an old-technology plug-in unit that gets warm (but not hot) but ultimately may fail due to the constant heat. But this can be replaced by a modern 'switched mode' 12-volt power supply like the ones that supply laptops which don't get so hot and are more efficient and last longer
- Instructions say 'Don't place a blanket over the heated pad' but the reviewers here all seem to do so (me included) for extra comfort and it works just fine

All in all the best mat I could have found for my Benny cat; he just loves it and I feel happy he's not getting cold at night.

Grey Stone Pestle & Mortar Small
Grey Stone Pestle & Mortar Small
Offered by bellas-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and solid, looks good and works beautifully, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Grey Stone Pestle & Mortar Small
I needed something better than the back of a spoon to crush my cat's vitamin tablets (so I can sprinkle them on his food) so this seemed ideal.

It had to be compact (this is) and solid (this is) and easy to use (absolutely). The pestle is comfortable to hold and swirl around the bowl once the initial crushing has taken place and produces a lovely, fine powder which little Benny doesn't even notice when sprinkled on his food (cat's are notoriously finicky about 'foreign substances' in their food).

It is a nice grey, stone colour, fits into his cat equipment box due to its small size and looks the part too. It feels heavy due to its solid stone construction and I feel confident it will last the course.

Delighted with its performance, looks and longevity.

Guilty Gadgets ® - 10m 32ft Tape Retractable Locking DIY Lock Ruler Measure Measuring Tool Measurements in Inches, Millimetres, mm, Centimetres, cm, Feet, Ft and Metres, m
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Long measure, inches and centimetres, a bit oily, 28 Oct. 2014
Tape measures, like socks, are always getting lost in my house so this was a replacement.

It's nice and long, a full 10 metres, so useful when measuring carpets for a room, and has a decent spring back as it retracts too (watch for the whiplash effect though!).

Like most retractable measures the tape is more curved than I would like (I'd like it flatter so it's easier to measure things without having to twist the tape flat).

My particular example smelled and felt particularly oily. Great for the spring and tape inside no doubt but I had to clean it thoroughly with a cloth to avoid oil contamination on my hands (and the oil would attract grit and dust particles inside too). Perhaps mine was an isolated example and didn't detract from its functional use - I wouldn't offer it to my wife to measure the curtains though.

All in all it's fine, does the job, not the cheapest but it certainly is longer than some.

Men's Vintage Angle Feather Plume Design Stainless Steel Pendant Necklace
Men's Vintage Angle Feather Plume Design Stainless Steel Pendant Necklace
Offered by Titaniumcentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pendant, necklace needs replacing though!, 28 Oct. 2014
The pendant is quite heavy duty and definitely unisex wear. Its large enough (2 3/4 inches) to be noticed but not too big to be considered blingy.

It's slightly shabby chic style with its chrome/black styling, although it is made from stainless steel so it won't rust and is quite solid in feel.

The chain is a different story but I didn't buy it for that, thank goodness. It's the same ball-chain that you find sink and basin plugs hanging from, so it will be replaced with a much nicer leather or metal link chain.

The loop at the top is sturdy and allows any sort of chain to run freely through it.

As I wasn't buying it for the chain I'm giving it the full 5-stars as the pendant, whilst not cheap, is pretty good value and should last the course.

PetSafe petPod Digital Pet Feeder
PetSafe petPod Digital Pet Feeder

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you'd expect and no break ins (yet), 28 Oct. 2014
This replaced another feeder Cat Mate C20 Automatic 2 Meal Feeder with Ice Pack as that was deemed too unreliable (or our cat-sitter couldn't operate it reliably).

This items works exactly as you'd expect, opens on the dot of 7am (or whatever time you've set it to) and then again at lunchtime. Easy to set up and easy to use once set up (assuming your times don't change otherwise you must reprogram it).

The batteries allegedly run for ages (still the original set after a few weeks) and the dishes are easily cleaned once removed from the unit.

The downside (compared to the C20 Cat Mate feeder mentioned above) is that this one has no ice pack facility so once you've dished the food it's sitting there at room temperature, which does give me some concern if it's going to be more than a few hours. At least the lid will stop it getting fly blown (blrghh!) but I don't think I'd want to use any pet feeder in the midst of a summer heatwave.

As pet feeders go this one meets my (and kitty's) needs during normal weather and is, more importantly, reliable. Pity it doesn't 'ding' when it opens the lid to let kitty know lunch is served (and before any flies realise it's now available too).

Kitty has not been able to break into the unit either although he's pretty placid so I wouldn't expect him too - you may get different mileage depending on your kitty's temperament.

Glad I bought this, does the job just fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20