Profile for S. Linter > Reviews

HTC ONE SV, Unlocked, Brand New sealed, Colour Blue
HTC ONE SV, Unlocked, Brand New sealed, Colour Blue
Offered by Links tech

1.0 out of 5 stars HTC stands for Have To Chuck., 5 Jun. 2016
I bought one of these a little while ago so I imagine that this phone is really old hat. Having said that I will say why I have given this phone a paltry two stars. My phone came with 4gb internal memory (which at the time I thought would be ok) and this is jammed packed with apps that you can't delete. The 8gb that comes with this phone won't make too much of a difference either as you will need at least 16gb for the apps to update properly. My next solution to this problem was to buy a memory card and move the apps to that. The phone doesn't allow you to move apps to the memory card or delete them. The next problem was that these apps all needed updating and when this happened, that 4gb (or 8gb) got swallowed up to the point where I couldn't update anything more. Errors then started popping up and eventually my phone's setting app disappeared completely leaving me with a crippled phone that I couldn't customise (and sometimes couldn't answer when someone called either). I've since been forced to buy a new phone and send this to the nearest landfill. Even if this phone was priced at 50 pounds, it will still be a waste of money. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Audio-Technica ATR-3350 ATR Series Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you hear me?, 5 Jun. 2016
The sound quality of this mic is pretty good for the money paid, but for those wanting a more professional clear sound then you may want to look elsewhere. The mic requires a battery which is included and this is a bit fiddly to fit into the tiny slot with a spring in the way. The cable is extra long and although this doesn't bother me, I would have preferred it if this cable could have been supplied as an extension. But these are all minor quibbles. The sounds quality is good for the money and with the right set up, you should be able to get some good results with this.

The Pier Falls
The Pier Falls
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars The penny drops., 17 May 2016
This review is from: The Pier Falls (Hardcover)
This is a good collection of short stories from Mark. Some of the vivid descriptions, especially in the second story The Island, will stick with me for some time to come (which is what an author usually sets out to do). Without giving too much away, I would say that the stories are about death and destruction, topics that some may want to avoid if they are looking for a book to cheer themselves up. Through gritty realism and a knack of describing events in both the present tense and in the future, Mark succeeds in exposing human weaknesses and vulnerabilities. I would vote Bunny as my favourite story out of the collection, but the last story called The Weir is also one of the highlights (there's nothing like saving the best until last!). The Boys Who Left Home to Learn Fear is my least favourite but that's not to say that it doesn't have some good qualities in terms of description and story telling. All in all, The Pier Falls is a good solid gritty collection of short stories that inspire me as a writer myself. Thanks, Mark.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [Blu-ray] [2015]
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix

5.0 out of 5 stars I've seen the electric church but I didn't see any vicar., 12 Nov. 2015
Let's get the moaning out of the way. First, this states that it is the Jimi Hendrix Experience when it isn't strictly true because Noel Redding had left the band by this time. It has been known as the Cry of Love Tour / band. Two, this blu-ray states that this hasn't been released before and the guy that shot the film has said that it stayed undeveloped for thirty years. This is curious because I bought a copy of this concert on VHS that came out in 1992. I've been patiently waiting for this to be released on DVD / Blu-ray and finally it has! It's a great concert and Jimi is in prime form––even performing a one handed guitar solo at one point. Don't listen to those who say this isn't one of the best gigs out there on DVD / Blu-ray. You will never be disappointed by a Jimi Hendrix concert and I can't see how that could happen.

Unflattening
Unflattening
by Nick Sousanis

5.0 out of 5 stars it means that I like this book of graphic art and text, 16 July 2015
This review is from: Unflattening (Paperback)
If I could give this 10 stars then it wouldn't be enough. If I could give it 20 stars then it wouldn't be enough. What do these stars mean anyway? Well, it means that I like this book of graphic art and text. It means I really like this book of graphic and text. This is the most unique piece of art / academia / text I think I have read and looked at in a long time. This is something you shouldn't be without.

Letraset Rubdown Lettering Transfer A5 Sheet including burnisher - Times NR - 3mm - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Rubdowns aren't just for athletes., 4 July 2015
What can I say about Letraset? You place the sheet of letters down on your page, rub off a letter, lift and you're done. I guess I can review the "applicator" which is included in the package. It's nothing more than an old ice lolly stick so if you are expecting a well crafted "applicator" made out of plastic or metal then you'll be disappointed. Other than that - what else is there to say?

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition
by Renni Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm prone to speling mistooks., 4 July 2015
This really is a mixed bag for a book about editing. On one level it tells writers what to look out for in their texts, but on another level, it tells writers how to write in the same way Ursula K. Le Guin's Steering the Craft does. Is this a book about how to write or how to approach editing after you have written? Judging by the title you would expect the latter but unfortunately this is not the case. If you haven't bought any other books on editing then you may well get something out of this. If you have bought Steering the Craft, like me, then you'll want to avoid it.

Stone Mattress: Nine Tales
Stone Mattress: Nine Tales
by Margaret Atwood

4.0 out of 5 stars I've never needed a stone mattress up until now., 4 July 2015
There are a few short stories in this collection that are gems and some that I will be hard pressed to remember. Despite this, I would recommend this book as it is both witty and slightly disturbing at the same time.

The Rise of the Global Nomad: How to Manage the New Professional in Order to Gain Recovery and Maximize Future Growth
by Jim Matthewman

3.0 out of 5 stars The Rise of the Global Reviewer., 4 July 2015
I bought this book to research the subject of global nomads and, to be honest, I didn't read all of it. It is a book aimed at MNCs and highlights how global nomads are good employees. This book could be interpreted in many different ways, but in short, this book is aimed at businesses and will leave everybody else out in the cold.

The Red House
The Red House
by Mark Haddon

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a red house over yonder ..., 4 July 2015
This review is from: The Red House (Paperback)
The Red House features protagonists that immediately hook and drag you into their world and their stories. The omniscient narration flutters between each character, revealing details bit by bit. There's as much humour as there is intrigue and, more importantly, The Red House is relatable. I can imagine that there are families like this that exist and act the way they do - so, what I am trying to say is - the book does its job. I actually prefer this book to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time but, then again, they are quite different in style. A very good read and I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6