Profile for Stephen Town > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
PAULANER BEER Glasses, Set of 6 pieces HALF PINT, 0,3 Litre lined, New
PAULANER BEER Glasses, Set of 6 pieces HALF PINT, 0,3 Litre lined, New

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Beer Glass, 13 Nov 2013
These are my favourite beer glasses. They are elegant and robust. I first saw them in South Africa where I got a taste for the excellent Paulaner wheat beer and I bought a couple of glasses when I was there. I've had the glasses for nearly six years but broke one recently, which promted me to buy these. The capacity is about half a pint (33ml), which is ideal for me. The glasses are German made and extra thick, apparently because when the Germans say 'prost' they clink glasses, so they're reinforced towards the bottom. The result is that you'll have to be as careless as I was to break one. I really like a nice beer glass and these fit the bill perfectly for me. I didn't really buy them for this purpose, but if a woman likes beer or lager, she'll like it from these attractive glasses that don't look too big. At a fraction under 4 each for a quality glass, I think they're good value. I had a bit of concern about ordering glasses over the net, but they were very safely packaged and arrived in one piece. Now I've got the glasses I felt obliged to buy some of Paulaner's beer online!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 5:13 PM GMT

The Whale Road (The Oathsworn Series, Book 1)
The Whale Road (The Oathsworn Series, Book 1)
by Robert Low
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Very Best Of Viking Novels.", 7 Aug 2013
I first heard of Robert Low's Oathsworn series from a recommendation at the end of `The Caspian Gates', the fourth of Harry Sidebottom's excellent Warrior Of Rome series (which I'd strongly recommend). I was swayed by Sidebottom's recommendation partly because he's a historian and outstanding writer himself and partly because he admires authors whose work I've very much enjoyed (Patrick O Brian and Bernard Cornwell, for example). Sidebottom describes Low's series as "Wonderful" and "The very best of Viking novels."

I like historical fiction but I also read serious history, so I like fiction to feel right and not completely over the top with characters mowing down swathes of opponents without receiving more than the occasional scratch. Robert Low writes well and there's grittiness to his work that makes the story feel more real. He's good on character and not afraid to kill characters off who I liked and wanted to know more about, which is both brave and slightly disappointing, but it avoids you knowing that all the leading characters are immortal and couldn't possibly come to harm.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I've ordered the next one. One small complaint: there were one or two occasions when I struggled to follow closely what was happening, despite reading the text more than once. It's a small complaint about a book I liked and enjoyed.

I don't like reviews telling me too much about the story so I won't do that. Briefly, the book is set in the Norse world of 965AD. The young protagonist, Orm, joins a ship of warriors and raiders (the Oathsworn).

Plain White Plastic Toilet Brush, Fits All Holders
Plain White Plastic Toilet Brush, Fits All Holders
Offered by Crown Supplies
Price: 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 7 Jun 2013
I wanted a toilet brush to go into an existing holder. I bought and paid for two and received an extra one free. The brush fits perfectly in the holder and the handle is clearly stronger than the one it replaced. A good buy.

Eddie O Soft Sexy Comfortable Classic V neck T Shirt (Small, White)
Eddie O Soft Sexy Comfortable Classic V neck T Shirt (Small, White)
Offered by Eddie O Underwear
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars The neck's spot on, 6 Feb 2013
I wanted a T-shirt to wear under a collared shirt and this is spot on. The neck is wider and deeper than average, so, unlike many, it doesn't show. I haven't washed them yet, but they're 100% cotton, so there shouldn't be a problem. In terms of warmth, they aren't the thickest T-shirt I've got, but, because the neck is spot on for my purpose, I've ordered another six.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 7:52 PM BST

Alfred the Great
Alfred the Great
by Justin Pollard
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernard's Right . . ., 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Alfred the Great (Paperback)
Bernard Cornwell described this book as a "wonderful biography" in his historical note at the end of `Death of Kings'. This is book six of Cornwell's excellent fictional series set in the time of Alfred The Great.

Bernard Cornwell is a good judge. This is a well written and interesting account of that far off time and the man who ruled the last Anglo-Saxon kingdom to resist the Danish invaders. As someone else once said, "It was a close run thing" and this book explains how Alfred saved Wessex, built the foundations of England and deservedly earned the title `The Great'.

Red Gold
Red Gold
by Alan Furst
Price: 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Red Gold (Paperback)
'Red Gold' follows on from 'The World At Night' and they are the only books by Alan Furst that don't stand alone as single novels. The poor review on here seems to stem from the fact that Furst's books are labelled 'espionage', which isn't very accurate. This book is about living and resisting in occupied France. The critical reader was clearly expecting a boys own thriller and Furst's books are deeper and much better than that, whilst still being page turners because you come to care about the characters. It's an excellent sequel to 'The World At Night'. I'd also recommend 'The Polish Officer', a title that gives a much better clue to the subject.

Because of the simplistic 'espionage' tag Furst gets compared to John Le Carre. It's misleading. Furst writes about the thirties and forties and not the cold war. I much prefer Furst. He's an excellent writer.

The Beacon at Alexandria
The Beacon at Alexandria
by Gillian Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 29 Mar 2010
This is my favourite book. It's beautifully written, touching, historically accurate and with characters so rounded that they come alive for the reader. I was utterly engrossed. Over the years I've loaned my well-thumbed copy to three friends who have all loved it. I don't believe anyone has ever written a better work of historical fiction - and I speak as a dovoted fan of the great Patrick O'Brian. How can such an outstanding book be out of print? Is the publishing industry mad? If you can get a copy, you'll love this book.

Post Captain
Post Captain
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Post Captain (Paperback)
I wondered what all the fuss was about after reading 'Master and Commander', but, very much like an earlier reviewer, I was completely hooked by this book and the rest of this magnificent series. Reading the other reviews gives me the impression that there's sometimes a divide between those who dislike the time the characters spend ashore and those, like me, who find it even more satisfying. That's probably because I rarely understand the technical aspects of sailing and enjoy the extra space for the characters when they're not at sea. The dialogue in these books is brilliantly written. It's wise, well observed and sometimes very funny. The characters are very well drawn. I've read the whole series and I'm now well on the way to re-reading them. The twenty book in this series have given me immense pleasure.

Heroes and Villains: Inside the Minds of the Greatest Warriors in History
Heroes and Villains: Inside the Minds of the Greatest Warriors in History
by Frank McLynn
Price: 18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Awol Editor, 14 Nov 2009
Frank McLynn is a talented writer and historian. I've read three of his books and just ordered a fourth (Richard and John). However, some of the mistakes in his text, and the occasionally badly written sentence, are hard to explain. This book contains more than the usual quota of mistakes and perhaps Mr McLynn was working to a deadline that didn't allow enough time for proper editing. If so, it's a pity because it needlessly detracts from his work. Do publishers still employ editors?

Language: The Basics
Language: The Basics
by R.L. Trask
Price: 14.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the specialist, 17 Feb 2009
This review is from: Language: The Basics (Paperback)
Trask's writing is brilliant. The author has an outstanding ability to explain his subject in an entertaining way. Trask is the unpretentious master of his subject and writes crystal clear English.

Although interested in the subject, I'm not a language student, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book (I've read it twice). The chapter on 'Attitudes to language' made me laugh and cheer, as Trask explodes a number of widely held myths. 'The uniqueness of human language' and 'Change in language' are other excellent chapters. It's a brilliant book and it's not just for specialists.

Page: 1 | 2