Profile for Grizzly > Reviews

Grizzly

A world of my own : adventure and personal renewal in the wilderness
A world of my own : adventure and personal renewal in the wilderness
by Mike Tomkies

5.0 out of 5 stars A World Of My Own (aka Alone In The Wilderness): My default read., 11 Aug 2014
A World Of My Own is exactly the same book as Alone In The Wilderness. The former title was published in the USA by Readers' Digest at the same time as the latter title was published in the UK by McDonald and Jane's.

I first read Alone In The Wilderness as a library book not long after its publication. I then spent many frustrating years unsuccessfully attempting to locate a copy of my own. I tried bookshops, book fairs; Hay-on Wye; specialist booksearchers any many more expedients to track down a copy but all to no avail.

Eventually, after the advent of Amazon and AbeBooks, I managed to locate a couple of copies of A World Of My Own in the USA, which, I did not previously know, was actually the same book but with a different title.

This book is my default reading! It is my all-time favourite book (on any topic or subject), which I read again and again every two or three years. I cannot recommend it highly enough, except to say that it would be my desert island book, bar none.

Morphy Richards Accents 47586 Espresso Maker 15 Bar - Red
Morphy Richards Accents 47586 Espresso Maker 15 Bar - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon to rate., 13 Mar 2014
This inexpensive little machine does make a decent espresso with a rich creamy crema (something many more expensive machines routinely fail to achieve). However, it is far too soon for me to give a proper analysis of its capabilities.

Like a lot of other similar machines, the basket holding the grounds can become clogged after a few uses. This prevents the coffee from flowing freely and the machine struggles to express the coffee satisfactorily. Cleaning the microscopically-tiny perforations in the basket is not easy: they are too minuscule to be pricked with a pin or needle, and they do not respond to caustic solutions. Similarly, holding the basket over a candle to burn out the clogged grounds is not recommended. This, however is a similar bugbear of all cheapish espresso machines. I have not used the coffee-pod facility, since I only ever drink coffee from freshly-ground beans, therefore I will not review that part of the set up.

Another minus point, so far, is the steaming wand, it is less than efficient. It works perfectly well to heat the milk and to give mountains of light froth. What it doesn't do is 'texture' the milk (i.e. make the milk thick with a tight foam in the manner that professional machines do). I find this to be quite annoying since I do not want my milk to be either thin and textureless, or looking like a bowl of suds!

Having said all that, I shall wait for a few months before I can give a realistic review of what this cheap-and-cheerful machine is capable of. As long as it continues to produce a good espresso with a decent crema I'll be quite satisfied. If it doesn't, I'll soon let you know.

GARDEN BIRDS 2013 Wall Calendar
GARDEN BIRDS 2013 Wall Calendar
by Avonside Publishing
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard bird calendar., 19 Feb 2013
What you see is what you get. I bought it as a present. It was well received. I would have liked more photographs of rarer, lesser-known birds from the British list, but I suppose you can't have it all.

Bread: Baking by hand or bread machine
Bread: Baking by hand or bread machine
by Eric Treuille

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bread., 19 Feb 2013
This book is a good adjunct to others in my collection. It has a large range of easily assimilated recipes, which is expanding my knowledge of the baker's craft. A worthwhile buy.

FSL ZERO Wireless Bluetooth Headphones / Headset with Remote and Mic for all Smartphones (iPhone / iPad / Android / Windows / Samsung Galaxy / HTC etc) - 3 YEAR WARRANTY
Offered by iHeadphones UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent definition., 19 Feb 2013
These cordless cans provide excellent sound quality across the spectrum: deep clear bass and high-definition treble. All without the clutter of cables and cords. I recommend them highly.

Crust: From Sourdough, Spelt and Rye Bread to Ciabatta, Bagels and Brioche (with DVD)
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Formidable!, 19 Feb 2013
M. Bertinet is a genius. His recipes are exquisite and his understanding of the craft of the artisan bread baker has no parallel. I simply love experimenting with different flours and yeasts to try and achieve unsurpassable flavour. This book is a great help in assisting me to realise that ideal.

Rayners Essentials Org Malt Extract 340g
Rayners Essentials Org Malt Extract 340g
Offered by UniStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Malt Loaf Essential., 15 Jan 2013
Essential for making a truly yummy malt loaf which is unheard of in this land of food philistines – Sweden!).

Office 2011 for Mac For Dummies
Office 2011 for Mac For Dummies
by Bob LeVitus

4.0 out of 5 stars No Longer A Dummy!, 29 April 2012
Being a long-time Apple Mac aficionado, I was a bit reluctant to take the "Windows" route for word-processing. However, when my girlfriend showed me that Word, in particular, was still the most comprehensive tool in this field, I decided to take the challenge and bought myself Office for Mac 2011, Home and Students version which I promptly installed on my iMac (which I had recently updated to OS X 10.7 "Lion"). Now all I needed was some help for me to get to grips with Office for Mac's idiosyncrasies.

Being a bit of an IT dummy myself, what better way to learn than to buy the latest tome in the "Dummies" series of manuals, which are written especially for those like me. Office 2011 for Mac for Dummies fits the bill completely. It is sectioned and indexed in a way that really helps those who are not really of a technological bent - like me - and it is written in a sympathetic way without ever being patronising.

I am now really getting to grips with Word. Excel may be the next mountain that I attempt to climb, but knowing that easily-assimilated advice is at hand, I no longer feel like a technophobe.

Essentials of Swedish Grammar: A Practical Guide to the Mastery of Swedish (Verbs and Essentials of Grammar Series)
by Ake Viberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Unravelling the mysteries of Swedish, 16 Feb 2012
Learning the local language is a necessity for any immigrant (of which I am one) wishing to integrate. Despite taking formal lessons in Swedish at a local college and possessing a plethora of various textbooks to assist in making sense of up to twenty different conjugations of verbs, I still felt that I needed a little more help. Essentials of Swedish Grammar (A Practical Guide To The Mastery Of Swedish) by Åke Viberg, Kerstin Ballardini and Sune Stjärnlöf simplifies the learning process to such a degree that my understanding of this erudite and somewhat intangible language has stepped up a few gears since purchasing it. The book is a joy to read and easy to assimilate and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to any serious student of Swedish, especially those who are feeling strangled whilst attempting to make sense of the esoteric vowel sounds of this ancient tongue.