Profile for h.matten > Reviews

Content by h.matten

h.matten (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Essential Maps for Family Historians (Family History)
Essential Maps for Family Historians (Family History)
by Charles Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Maps are a work of art!, 15 May 2016
Maps are fascinating in so many more ways than just showing how to get from A to B! Old maps also tell the reader about Parish boundaries, tithes, Homesteads and how towns and villages grew! We must not let maps, or the skills to read them disappear! Satnav can never replace the beauty of a real map! Also a really useful tool in genealogy terms, and really old hand drawn maps are works of art in their own right!

Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management: The 1861 Classic with Advice on Cooking, Cleaning, Childrearing, Entertaining, and More
by Isabella Beeton

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic research tool, 15 May 2016
Bought this to aid research into my family history chapter on '200 years of food and cookery' . Found myself giggling at Mrs Beetons 'advice' to ladies and servants, but also found it a fascinating wealth of information.
Now I've been asked to cater a Victoria dinner evening next year, so what better than a Victorian recipe book? I can now understand why this book is still in print, and is still popular o er 100 years after it was written! She was a real pioneer in cookery terms.

Actif Pets Flax Oil for Dogs-Rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9 for Dry, Flaky,Itchy Skin/Coat. A Natural Dog Oil Supplement for Stiff Bones/Joints/Hips
Offered by VA Home Depot

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy doggy!, 13 April 2016
My dog had really dry and itchy skin, and her fur was quite coarse and rough. Since using the flax oil - just 2.5ml per day - her skin has improved about 95% and her coat is much softer and easier to brush. I wish I had discovered flax oil a long time ago. I could have saved her so much discomfort! She is a much happier pooch now!

Keighley: A Pictorial History
Keighley: A Pictorial History
by Stewart Cardwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Historically fascinating, 31 Mar. 2016
Images fascinating as most of my ancestors hail from this aea. Love seeing Keighley through their eyes!

Images of Keighley
Images of Keighley
by "Keighley News"

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting for family history, 31 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Images of Keighley (Hardcover)
Love this book! Most of my family tree is centred round here, so is hugely interesting to see the town as my ancestors would have seen it!
Planning to visit one day and take my own pictures.

Compatible DYMO D1 45013 Black on White 12mm 7m Labelmanager Label Tape Writer
Compatible DYMO D1 45013 Black on White 12mm 7m Labelmanager Label Tape Writer
Offered by CowellColor Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good print quality, 31 Mar. 2016
Good print quality but only 4 stars because the backing paper is a devil to remove, even if you fold it and peel from the centre! It comes off in little bits so you end up with parts of the label that don't stick if you are not really careful and take your time removing it! Otherwise good vfm.

Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837
Tracing Your Ancestors from 1066 to 1837

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reference tool., 25 Mar. 2016
A wonderful tool which fills the gap between what is available and what is still a mystery!
Full of gems you wouldn't necessarily know about, such as the apprenticeship of orphans so the parish did not have to keep them, and charity registers, which give details of how and where the wealthy left their money to buy land or stock with the interest paying to keep the poor of the parish. Fascinating through and through! For family historians, a must buy, definitely.

The Victorians: Illustrated Edition: Written by A.N. Wilson, 2007 Edition, (Illustrated edition) Publisher: Hutchinson [Hardcover]
by A.N. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book around for researching., 5 Mar. 2016
I borrowed this book from my library initially as a reference book. I am writing my family history, and thought it would be useful!
It is the most comprehensive reference I could ever have wished for. I have used it so much, and felt that I couldn't bear to have to take it back to the library. I HAD to have my own copy - so glad it is available! For anyone interested in this era of History, or who is researching their family tree, this is the definitive tome for you. Wonderful! I just keep picking it up and reading snippets - it's all fascinating. Includes social, political and general information about the entire Victorian era - in one place. it is an absolute boon for researching, as it is like all the books you need ro;;ed into one (very large!) volume.

Corona 1 Drawer Low Bookcase in Distressed Waxed Pine
Corona 1 Drawer Low Bookcase in Distressed Waxed Pine
Offered by P&N Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere to put all the "stuff" !, 10 Jan. 2016
I needed something to get rid of the accruing heaps of stuff in my dining room, and saw this bookcase with a drawer. It was very reasonably priced, and the icing on the cake was that it matched my sideboard exactly! Bonus!
It took my son in law and I a couple of hours to build it, with intermittent "help" from my 4 yr old grandson, but it went together without a hitch, and fits the space perfectly, allowing me to clear the clutter and put it somewhere accessible , but tidy. The solid drawer at the bottom fits and runs well, but as it is at the bottom it makes more sense to fill it with less used items, which I have done. It is not too deep front to back, but takes a surprising amount of bits and pieces, as well as all those half packs of paper napkins one accumulates!
A really solid piece of furniture, a good buy and looks stylish and tidy in my dining room. It is about 4' tall and wide enough to hold books and files, yet is unobtrusive. It is always great when you find exactly what you want, and this fits the bill!!

AFUNTA 3D Stereoscopic Printing Pen for 3D Drawing + Modeling + Arts + Crafts Printing 1.75mm ABS Filament (pen's color may vary)
Offered by Afunta UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Well I bought this for my daughter who is a ..., 14 Oct. 2015
Well I bought this for my daughter who is a graphic illustrator, for her birthday, and it doesn't work!! The filament is jammed in the pen but the motor is totally dead.
Am about to contact seller as she has only just got around to trying it out. Watch this space.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3