Profile for Stevie Bach > Reviews

Content by Stevie Bach

Stevie Bach "Stevie Bach" (Cymru, UK)

Professional Camera Shooting Tripod Mount Holder Stand for iPad mini 4/3/2 Retina/1
Offered by Harry Gong

1.0 out of 5 stars Small, poor quality., 11 July 2015
Disappointing tripod. Poor quality, not sturdy. Lightweight but fragile. The top mount part came loose as I was putting it together.

From Hell
From Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating horrible and quite true, 22 April 2014
This review is from: From Hell (Kindle Edition)
You'll either love this book or hate it. Which is perhaps part of the author's point. More often than not, the truth is not what we are looking for.

I loved it.

Doctor Who Dalek Factory
Doctor Who Dalek Factory
Offered by Mytoyfactory

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr Who Dalek Factory - more torturous than the real thing, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
Is it suitable for ages 6 upwards - No. It took me hours to follow the complicated instructions and it was very, very tricky - for a 40 yr old!

Does it then fall apart? Yes. You can't play with this toy unless you treat it like a Dr Who version of 'Buckeroo'!

However, it does look good and is definitely a learning experience; I learnt that my 6 year old girls can cry a lot more than I ever imagined.

But I blame the Daleks.

All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To
All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To
by Stuart Laycock

1.0 out of 5 stars Frightfully awfully wonderfully awful., 26 Dec. 2012
Ah yes, Stuart Laycock's All The Countries We've Ever Invaded; what a frightful read.

In his introduction the author mentions that the idea for the book came from a question from his son Fred. From the contents of this vapid Wikipedia-like book I assume that Fred was only five years years old and that his father wrote this moribund compilation with that age group as his target audience. Either that or English people devoid of any sense of their history. (The big clue for this mystery might be the `handy' world maps in the back of the book just in case one hadn't heard of some of the countries `us Brits' had cheerfully and bizarrely wandered into over the centuries).

Having received this as a Christmas gift I was sorely disappointed that Laycock offers no more in this book than a compilation of dates and placenames and that any interesting depth or geo-political analysis is never given a chance. And as for the narrative, the decision to write this `historical book' of British world influence in the 1st person plural throughout makes it fit only for Jingoistic Daily Mail readers who can mentally tick off the Brits/English/Anglo-Saxon victories in their chortling, gin-addled brains.

That said, some of it is so wonderfully deluded to be quite hilarious. Imagine Rowley Birkin from The Fast Show teaching a history lesson. My favourite quotes:

"Ah, Albania, Land of the Eagles (see flag)..." (introducing Albania)

"The surrender at Kut al Amara is not something a lot of Brits know about, but it was a huge disaster for us. So you see, we've had miserable times in Iraq before." (on Iraq)

"Sadly, ahead lay the bitterly fought Greek Civil War" (ending the chapter on Greece).

In summary, 5 stars or none at all; depending on your attitude to Anglo-Saxon realpolitik.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, awful toy., 21 Jan. 2012
Cheap, awful toy. Doesn't work. Lamps keep breaking. I would not buy this product again. It has gone in the bin.