Profile for M. Compton Sally > Reviews

Content by M. Compton Sally

M. Compton Sally

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The House of Mirth (Wordsworth Classics)
The House of Mirth (Wordsworth Classics)
by Edith Wharton

4.0 out of 5 stars Decline & Fall, 13 Sept. 2013
Strongly written. The beautiful and brilliant heroine with a small income but accepted into society, fails time after time to secure a good marriage. Much in demand for house parties but not in marriage, perhaps too clever by half and never letting her real feminity appear. Even when she meets her love, she doesnt know it as he isnt rich but of the same social level as herself. Her slide downhill is depressing as when she gets into difficult situations which accelerate her fall, but one person really loves her;;;;;;;;;

The Age of Innocence (Wordsworth Classics)
The Age of Innocence (Wordsworth Classics)
by Edith Wharton

5.0 out of 5 stars He loves me - he loves me not!, 13 Sept. 2013
I love the cover, a fashion plate done in 1913 for Paquin. The lady's dress and hat decorated with daisies, while she plucks the petals of a daisy to see if her love loves her. The theme continues in the first pages when the hero comes into the NY opera in time to hear the diva singing 'M'ama ..... non m'ama' (he loves me - he loves me not) 'since an unalterable and unquestionable law of the musical wortld required the german text of a french opera sung by swedish artists should be translated into Italian for the clearer understanding of the english speaking audience'. The first chapter is stuffed w<ith memorable phrases from the elegant and fashionble Miss Wharton. The book has lots of charm and historically is very interesting with the authors inside view of old NY society and their ways, all to be flouted by the heroine, Countess Ellen Oblenska; who returns after about 10 years of glamorous marriage with a very rich Polish count who she met in Paris dancing in Tuileries!!! to the imagined security of her childhood years in NY. The hero, engaged to a young & inocent girl with a large dot, is carried away by the romantism of this exotic person who he knew as a child. So the eternal triangle exists, he sends large bunches of lily of the valley to his fiancée and golden yellow roses to the countess, whose cozy room is already filled with hothouse orchids and carnations from other admirers. The on off romance continues over years and has a very poignant and fitting end. Wharton was the first woman to win the Pullitser prize and she deserved it.

Happy Birthday (Presents) - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card
Happy Birthday (Presents) - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 2 Aug. 2013
These gifts work very well. Instead of Granny sending the books she loved as a child, the child can choose just what he or she wants. It works very well, and interesting for Granny to see what has been chosen.

All The Dogs Of My Life: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
All The Dogs Of My Life: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
by Elizabeth von Arnim

5.0 out of 5 stars In fond memory, 2 Aug. 2013
Elizabeth is such a good writer, one enters straight into her world. I have read her first book (Elizabeth and her german garden) and then this her penultimate book, on starts at the beginning of a very interesting life, and then comes the almost last. where the dogs fill the gap in her life and give her that adoring love she craves - and who can blame her. One cries at the end, one is indignant at hr treatment of some of the dogsd, which she acknowledges and deeply regrets, but always there is the enchantment, in the writing and after all at the end of our lives who can say one has not hurt or neglected the ones we love. The art of Elizabeth's writing is the intimacy, you feel as though she is present, admitting as a dear friend would her errors and successes with effortless ease and keeps one sufficiently entertained, not to want to put the book down. And once finished, one would like another§§ Thanks to Amazon one has a good choice

Warm Little Knits: Classic Norwegian Two-color Pattern Knitwear
Warm Little Knits: Classic Norwegian Two-color Pattern Knitwear
by Grete Letting

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 15 May 2013
This is a super book, clear patterns, easy to follow even for a duffer like me. Socks, hats & mittens for all ages. I started with bed sox to use up a lot of wool I had leftover, and to see if I could follow the complicated pattern, remembering to turn a heel, et. Because they were bed sox I decided if I made a mistake to continue to do so, as in a painting, if the cat walks over it leaving footprints, just paint in some more and everyone thinks it was intentional. I did make mistakes, but in continuing, they made their own pattern until I could get back to the proper one. If they say, use five needles, and you only have four, beg, borrow or steal a fifth as it makes all the difference when you get to the heel, and remember, once you have struggled with one sock, receive"d with rapture by the recipient, there is another one to do. Now they are finished, I miss them, but not my little dog who sat on my lap and suffered needles prodding her back from time to time. The real project was a hat with birds on it, which I shall knit next winter.
BTW, following the pattern is helped by a piece of cardboard posed on top of the appropriate row, not under as I did at first.

Adam - Giselle (Cojocaru, Royal Ballet, Gruzin) [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Adam - Giselle (Cojocaru, Royal Ballet, Gruzin) [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Alina Cojocaru

5.0 out of 5 stars The french ballet, 15 May 2013
Giselle, so loved by my french girlfriends. It is different to the 'sunny' ballets that I know. it is a romantic ballet. The first half is gay, colourful and sunny the second half takes place in a forest with the graves of the 'wilies'! Wilies are girls who died of love & disappointment, rejected by their lovers before marriage they now return to dance all in white to wreak their vengeance on men. Gisele joins them when Albrecht, who has sworn hus undying love for her, turns out to be engaged to a princess, he is a prince in disguise. Gisee has killed herself and Albrecht comes to sob on her grave, the wilies appear, their vengeance is to make hime dance all night until he dies of exhaustion, Gisele keeps him going until dawn, when the magic powers of the wilies disappears, but the darkest hours are before the dawn. I tell you all this because we had no idea of the form of this ballet, and when we settled down to watch it, I looked in the booklet for information, conditioned by my theatre going years, while the orchestra is tuning up and the audience still arriving, you read the programme to understand what you are going to see. Well the booklet provided didnt provide a scenario, just an essay which would be good to read after vuing. In tiny print I later discovered the scenario is on the dvd, special feature, explicit and well told, but too late, when we watched a second time with knowledge, it made all the difference to our appreciation.

Giselle and her mother were superb, Albrecht, an agreeable young man, lacked 'superbe' but in the second half when he dances with the wilie Giselle, he is excellent when he tries to grasp her, three times, she slips through his fingers like smoke, despite the encouragement of my companion, C;. The wilies stay on the ground, apparently in earlier versions, the wilies were on wires and floated through the trees to menace their preys, I would love to see that, but their steps are very original. The music is good, in the vigorous style of Rossini, the composer was Adolphe Adam, the ballet was first performed in Paris at the Opera Garnier, two days later we saw a superb programme on TV of The 'petites rats' of the Opera Garnier, there is a dvd of this, (the first feature is disappointing but the rest, divine), where they talked of their beloved ballet 'Giselle'. So although the second act coould be gloomy, it isnt, the music is so lively.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars All goes well., 21 Feb. 2013
This is very pleasant to watch with some superb actors, now in retirement age but who loose nothing of their charm. As the blurb says, it is a feel good dvd, you will sleep well after viewing. The colours of India and the charm of the indians contribute to the success. Highly recommended.

Cinderella [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Cinderella [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Elisha Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Feb. 2013
We really enjoyed this ballet by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. The choreographie is superb, also the costumes and the dancers dance with passion. There is a proper coach, pumpkin, etc, I have a version by the Kirov Ballet which lacks the last but which nevertheless is also enchanting. I would heartily recommend the Birmingham version, it can rival the best.

Elizabeth and Her German Garden
Elizabeth and Her German Garden
by Elizabeth

5.0 out of 5 stars eccentric gardening, 21 Feb. 2013
Written at the turn of the century, the garden is in Pomerania, abandoned for 25 with the big ,house attahed when Elizabeth arrives without her family, her husband, the baron, and three young children. She revels in the freedom and a garden with half a mile of lilacs. She and her gardiner dont get on very well, she likes a romantic garden with plants in clumps while he prefers straight lines, while he arrives for work with a spade in one hand and a revolver in the other, she carries on unperturbed!!! When they part a pole replaces him with an interesting passage on how poles arrive to work in germany. Visitors (and family) eventually arrive and there is a splendid description of a picnic on the shores of the baltic where they have arrived by horse & carriage. When I tell you, Elizabeth ordered 10 pounds of Ipomea seed, you can tell she is a gardener unlike others, whether it was £'s or lbs doesn't make much difference. And dozens of roses, I recently saw the Kirov ballet dance the Spectre of the Rose which must have been written for Elizabeth. The baron unfortunately got into debt!! went to jail & died quite rapidly, Elizabeth led an interesting life after, but leaves us with superb descriptions of her garden, her joy in it and glimpses of life in Pomerania. This edition prides itself on the print like the original but I think they could have put a picture and a little history on the back cover of Elizabeth von Arnim rather than going on about the lovely print.

The Riddle Of The Sands [DVD]
The Riddle Of The Sands [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael York

4.0 out of 5 stars Good effort, 13 Jan. 2013
I love the book so much that I didnt appreciate the changes that were made. The beginning was better than the end, tho different to the book. The actors were well chosen, tho Michael York's appearance on the quay as Carruthers, dressed more as an old artistic diplomat rather than an aspiring young man in the Foreign Office, (my husband agreed and he was once himself an aspiring young man in the foreign office). Even the phrase 'But where are your men' (expecting to see the crew and someone to help with his luggage) was changed to a feeble joke 'where are your hands', etc; etc; etc. It was a brave effort on a not easy subject, so much sailing, but I did miss the views of the Freesian islands and the church built on the sands at sea level which always intrigued me. I have sent it to my nephews aged 17 and who have started sailing and am waiting for their reactions to this classic of yachting literature.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6